Same old same old

wolfeking

banned
I was thinking of a 670 for it latter on, in august. Either that, or a 580. I don't know, I am not going to see a lot of improvement over what I have because of the resolution.

this is turning into another ... or .... or ... or ... or ... like the laptop thread. :(

I am seriously rethinking the idea of the FAH dedicated machine unless it is winter time. Cause that would well over double the current heat output and cause my room to get even hotter (running both laptops and the Desktop @ 100% utilization of the processor with no cooling on it is 30*C in here, and mum won't turn the AC on!)

if I go to a 3570k, and get a better card say a 670, would that run everything out no matter what it is maxxed at 720p? That would put the total cost @ $660 and hopefully cut temps a bit.

spirit

Staff member
wolfeking said:
if I go to a 3570k, and get a better card say a 670, would that run everything out no matter what it is maxxed at 720p? That would put the total cost @ $660 and hopefully cut temps a bit.
Yep a 670 will pretty much max any game out. I'm still maxxing out some of the latest games at 1080p on my HD 5870 and that's a card released 2 and a half years ago. The 670 is much faster and newer than the 5870, so it should easily be able to max anything out. The 3570K is a great processor too, so definitely get that and then overclock it if you want more performance out of it.

wolfeking said:
this is turning into another ... or .... or ... or ... or ... like the laptop thread. :(
I know... but I'd say ditch the FAH machine if you think it's going to get hot in your room (nothing worse than living in a hot room for most of the day) and then just build a great machine with a 3570K and a 670 and use that for everything, if that's possible.

Last edited:
My advice, sorry it's late.

PSU: Semi modular, I don't know about that, if you want it, okay, but you will probably still have a couple extra cables. Also, 650w is enough for even a 3930 and 670 sli, so that's all you need. But, if you feel like your okay with spending $20 more than a 750 for watts you probably won't need, go with it.

CPU/Cooler: Looks good.

GPU: Get a 570, it's on sale for $250 at newegg I think. Also, do NOT get a 580 over a 670! I told you that before, the 680 is double and a half better than 580, and the 670 is only like 5 percent worse than a 680.

wolfeking

banned
A 670 will run anything at anywhere up to 1440p. Go for it.
well, I am running 720p as I very well will be for quite a while. But if it will run that much it should be too much for me. :/
Yep a 670 will pretty much max any game out. I'm still maxxing out some of the latest games at 1080p on my HD 5870 and that's a card released 2 and a half years ago. The 670 is much faster and newer than the 5870, so it should easily be able to max anything out. The 3570K is a great processor too, so definitely get that and then overclock it if you want more performance out of it.

I know... but I'd say ditch the FAH machine if you think it's going to get hot in your room (nothing worse than living in a hot room for most of the day) and then just build a great machine with a 3570K and a 670 and use that for everything, if that's possible.
I could use it for everything, and be good. But Also, I could very well use a lot less. I don't know.

My advice, sorry it's late.

PSU: Semi modular, I don't know about that, if you want it, okay, but you will probably still have a couple extra cables. Also, 650w is enough for even a 3930 and 670 sli, so that's all you need. But, if you feel like your okay with spending $20 more than a 750 for watts you probably won't need, go with it.
1. Power requirements skyrocket while overclocking.
2. If you feel safe putting 2 670s on a 650, go right ahead. they use 247 watts at full load, so assume 2 way SLI and a 25000k at stock you are pulling 589 watts. now when you add your RAM, CD drive and hard drives and you have 604 watts from what I am seeing. If you want to run your PSU within 50 watts of its output so be it, but you will not be having all the power you need within a few years due to capacitor aging.

CPU/Cooler: Looks good.
of coarse it does. It will not do what I want it to do, so it is execellent

GPU: Get a 570, it's on sale for $250 at newegg I think.
no thanks. The 570 s old and power hungry. And will do nothing a 580 won't and it has more memory.

Also, do NOT get a 580 over a 670! I told you that before, the 680 is double and a half better than 580, and the 670 is only like 5 percent worse than a 680.
you want to get a little more condecending? and where here in case I forgot, did I say I was going to get a 580? The one I linked was a 560ti and a 480.
Plus, look at it like this. The drivers are not the best for the 670. I could get one sure, but why buy a truck with a 460 and only a 100 CFM carb? makes no sense to me. Let them straiten out the drivers before you buy them.

wolfeking

banned
okay, looking at a different route. More powerful CPU, and less powerful GPU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102987
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

but I am not really sure what I can do for now either. :/ I do like that going with the cheaper card I save ~100 on BF3 and Dirt 3 (they are still 59.99 yes?) so all together I am really only paying ~$80 for it. And I can always get a card to just fold on later, yes? A 460 or something and stick it in the backup PCie x16 slot? or is that not doable, running a Nvidia and a AMD in the same system... I am not sure if that is possible.

spirit

Staff member
Doubt you can run an NVIDIA and an AMD GPU in the same system. Drivers issue is the first problem. :/

You're only playing at 720p so a 6950 would be fine and for folding I'm guessing you want a powerful CPU right? Then go with the 2600K and overclock it. The 2600K overclocks just like the 2500K.

wolfeking

banned
well I can fold fine from any intel CPU. I am folding on it right now. But I want it to work with CAD on it, the more cores the better, so HT might be useful. But how far could I go on stock volts? I am thinking around 4.0Ghz should be plenty fine?

the 6950 is a strong card yes? And it will run on 505 watts (600 minus CPU power)?

spirit

Staff member
Yes the 6950 is a strong card, it's usually around the same speed or a bit faster than a 560 Ti in most cases.

I'd say for CAD the 2600K would be a good choice. 4.0GHz sounds about right on stock volts too, you may be able to push it to 4.2GHz perhaps before you need rto up the voltage but be aware that it may become unstable.

wolfeking

banned
well I want to keep it stock volts to #1 keep the heat down and #2 not have to go googleing the entire option list of the BIOS. Most of them options might as well be Japanese to me.

But I think Its sorted now. I think.

spirit

Staff member
A 4.0GHz overclock should be fine.

So are you going for the 2600K, a CM 212+ and a 6950 or a 560 Ti?

wolfeking

banned
I am going for a 2600k, and a cooler, 212 is nice, but I am not sure. I will probably figure out which card I want 10 minutes after I bought one. :/

spirit

Staff member
If it's for folding I'd go for a 2GB 560 Ti, or just go for it and get a 670 if you can afford one.

wolfeking

banned
Well I can not afford both a 670 and a 2600k i do not think.

And info from the resident expert states that it is not worth it to fold on the GPU.
PM @ mycattmaxx said:
A i7 even a i7 930 will out fold a 460.
I'm cranked up to 975Mhz on my 460 and get 16-17ppd out of it.
A i7 930 would do 22-25kppd roughly.
The hyper-threading really kicks some ass.
A i7 2600k will out fold any current gpu.
Once they get some new folding cores for the kepler GTX we will see how well they can really do, but for now a cpu wins over the gpu.

I picked my GTX460 V2 because of price/ppd/power used.
I could have spent more but I'm a cheap kinda guy.

spirit

Staff member
Go for the 2600K and the 6950 then if the GPU doesn't really matter. The 6950 is usually faster than the 560 Ti.

wolfeking

banned
okay, so from the budget, I still have ~220 left. I got some other things I need to get, forgive my OT here, but I am just going to list them all out and Bookmark this page so I have the list when the time comes in 2 weeks.

okay: so item cost budget
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/marching-band/bach-1815-clamp-on-trumpet-cornet-lyre/467468 27.98 832.02
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/marching-band/bach-1815-clamp-on-trumpet-cornet-lyre 12.99 819.03
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/brass-instruments/selmer-tuning-slide-and-cork-grease 2.99 816.04
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/brass-instruments/blue-juice-valve-oil 7.98 808.06
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102987 199.99 608.07
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070 299.99 308.08
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065 29.99 278.09

okay, so narrowing it down to 200, what else can I do to make it better?

spirit

Staff member
So you have 200 and want to make it better? I'd say go for a more powerful GPU if you can, but you may just want to save the money. A 2600K and a 6950 is a pretty good setup anyway, but a more powerful GPU would make it even better though. Even if you get something like a 7870.

I'm off now though so I'll give you a bit more advice/help tomorrow should you need it.

wolfeking

banned
again, 720p. The 6950 is going to be fine. at a certain point all I will end up doing is spending for better cards that quite frankly will not make a bit of difference. The only thing I see seeing any difference are the two games it comes with. I am running at 60 Hz, so going above 60 FPS will not net anything than bragging rites. The only games I am not maxxing currently at 60 FPS that I have is Arma II and that is a CPU bottleneck and I am getting around 40 FPS at max anyway.

I don't know. I got time, I can find somethings to do with it for a while and then update to see what is better.

MyCattMaxx

Well I can not afford both a 670 and a 2600k i do not think.

And info from the resident expert states that it is not worth it to fold on the GPU.
I didn't say it wasn't worth it to fold on a gpu, I said a i7 2600k will make more ppd than a gpu can currently.
Once they recode a new core for kepler the game will change with the massive amount of cuda cores the kepler has.
I think it will be awhile before the cores are optimized for kepler but once they are it is going to get interesting.

Right now the 560ti is the most efficient folder ppd/watt followed by the 460 from all I have read over the last year or so, I went with the 460 because I am cheap and all my cash flow is going out right now until harvest time when some cash will flow back in.

I'd start without a gpu first and see what your i7 will do.
I was talking with someone with an i7 who said he doesn't get anywhere near the ppd he should, I don't know why.
Most of the OC folding forums is where I get the reports for ppd for the i7's

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
okay, I can spend 300 on an i7 and get more points than a $400 580. to me it is not worth it. And they have the exact info you gave me, so they can see you never actually said it is not worth it.

Either way, I am never going to catch up to y'all unless I somehow came across 4 or 5 980x's equipped with SLI GTX590. Folding does not really help anyone anyway. If it did then stanford would build a couple of supercomputers and do it themselves, ja? But I am not building just for it. Will I do it when I am at school and gone away and such. At least give my computer some use when I leave it on 24/7 anyway.
The 2700k is better than a dedicated folding card. I do not see going into a 400 card just to use FAH on it, especially when it is going to take them forever to take advantage of it fully. And that would really be the only point, cause for games and other such things I am not going to see much better than a 6870 or so on 720p.

sorry, I am rambling. I am saying I will do well either way, but never as good as you.