Security Cams over Net?

Da Mail Man

Greetings All,

Closest place I could find to ask this!

I have never tried it but, I would want to attempt to hook up my security cameras to the net to be able to be viewed from an exterior source.

I have a dvr with a net port (cat 5) and have the ability to hook wirelessly to a wireless router. How difficult would that be to be able to view via the net?

I attempted to do this at my friends business but failed miserably due to the way all his crap was interconnected and therefore, didn't want to risk it. I have a dns server account (probably saying that incorrectly) that the cams/net/??? were supposed to connect into to allow viewing. Any help would be appreciated and i hope to clarify this dns thing tomorrow. Thanks.

xp pro
plenty of ram
3.4ghz processor
plenty of hd space

Last edited:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
You likely just need to setup a port forward to the box on whatever port it listens on, probably 80 if it's web based. Without knowing more about the box I can only guess.

Agent Smith

The DNS you are using is a name server resolver? I have one for Teamspeak. If this is the case make sure you use their DNS update client so that when your external IP address changes the DNS client will update and the DNS name can still be used.

Also, password protect the cameras online.

The cameras may have instructions in the manual on how to view them over the net.

So you plan on having the camera go to the DVR, then out on the net? What DVR is it? This too may have a manual on how to do it.

Da Mail Man

.....I think I am screwed here!

....I just re-examined my hardware and set up possibilities - looks grim.

....At the back of my 'generic" dvr cam unit, i have a cat 5 port however, what i have in my closet are a couple of Linksys wireless usb network adapters
model #WUSB54G (external square box type) which at one end is a firewire(?) connector which connects to the usb unit itself and the other end is typical usb....This typically ends that.:(:(

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
It should be doable. Connect your DVR to your router with an ethernet cable, then set up port forwarding for the ports the DVR software uses on your router to point to the IP and port on the DVR.

You should also look at using a dynamic DNS updater, which is available on some routers or can be a client installed on any PC on your network. This lets you access your internal network using a name such as mailman.dyndns.org instead of your IP which changes periodically.

Da Mail Man

It should be doable. Connect your DVR to your router with an ethernet cable, then set up port forwarding for the ports the DVR software uses on your router to point to the IP and port on the DVR.

You should also look at using a dynamic DNS updater, which is available on some routers or can be a client installed on any PC on your network. This lets you access your internal network using a name such as mailman.dyndns.org instead of your IP which changes periodically.

...Thanks for the reply. HOWEVER, I have to do it wireless-ly because of where the dvr is located. I know that i can hard-wire it in but, that is not possible at this time.

...As far as accessing the dvr/cams, you mean to tell me that i have to have a computer "on" in order to do this here while i am someplace else? I have some sort of a DNS server or should i say that i signed up and have an account at some DNS server site that if i remember correctly, i sign into when i am "away" and I can access my dvr/cams.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member

...Thanks for the reply. HOWEVER, I have to do it wireless-ly because of where the dvr is located. I know that i can hard-wire it in but, that is not possible at this time.

...As far as accessing the dvr/cams, you mean to tell me that i have to have a computer on in order to do this here while i am someplace else? I have some sort of a DNS server or should i say that i signed up and have an account at some DNS server site that if i remember correctly, i sign into when i am "away" and I can access my dvr/cams.
I'm a bit confused, is your DVR a computer or an actual DVR device? You mention computer specs in your first post, which is why I'm confused.

If it's a PC, you can easily install a wireless adapter in that computer and install a dynamic DNS updater on that machine as well. If it's an actual DVR device, usually you can't install USB devices like a wireless card (they are most likely for external storage), so you'd have to use a wireless bridge which is a device that converts a wireless signal to a wired port so you could connect an ethernet-only device to your wireless network.

You may not need a PC to use a dynamic DNS updater, many routers like those from Asus as well as third party firmware like DD-WRT, OpenWRT, Tomato, etc. include it. You would just want it so it phones in periodically and keeps your DNS name current with your home IP. If you don't use it, you'll just want to check your home IP from time to time and make sure it doesn't change.

Da Mail Man

I'm a bit confused, is your DVR a computer or an actual DVR device?
AS I STATED - IT IS A GENERIC DVR AND NOT NOT A COMPUTER.

You mention computer specs in your first post, which is why I'm confused.
BECAUSE IF THERE WAS SOME SORT OF REQUIREMENT THAT INVOLVED A COMPUTER, I WANTED TO HAVE THAT UP FRONT.

If it's a PC,
N/A

you can easily install a wireless adapter in that computer and install a dynamic DNS updater on that machine as well.
N/A

If it's an actual DVR device, usually you can't install USB devices like a wireless card (they are most likely for external storage), so you'd have to use a wireless bridge which is a device that converts a wireless signal to a wired port so you could connect an ethernet-only device to your wireless network.
TOTALLY LOST ME HERE...I DO KNOW THAT IF I HOOK UP THE DVR TO A ROUTER, IT "SHOULD" BE FUNCTIONAL BUT, I HAVE TO DO THIS WIRELESS-LY.

You may not need a PC to use a dynamic DNS updater, many routers like those from Asus as well as third party firmware like DD-WRT, OpenWRT, Tomato, etc. include it.
LOST ME HERE TOO!

You would just want it so it phones in periodically and keeps your DNS name current with your home IP. If you don't use it, you'll just want to check your home IP from time to time and make sure it doesn't change.
LATER TODAY, I HOPE TO FIND THE INFORMATION ON THE SITE THAT I HAD MENTIONED PREVIOUSLY.

Geoff

VIP Member
If it's an actual DVR device, usually you can't install USB devices like a wireless card (they are most likely for external storage), so you'd have to use a wireless bridge which is a device that converts a wireless signal to a wired port so you could connect an ethernet-only device to your wireless network.
TOTALLY LOST ME HERE...I DO KNOW THAT IF I HOOK UP THE DVR TO A ROUTER, IT "SHOULD" BE FUNCTIONAL BUT, I HAVE TO DO THIS WIRELESS-LY.

You may not need a PC to use a dynamic DNS updater, many routers like those from Asus as well as third party firmware like DD-WRT, OpenWRT, Tomato, etc. include it.
LOST ME HERE TOO!

You would just want it so it phones in periodically and keeps your DNS name current with your home IP. If you don't use it, you'll just want to check your home IP from time to time and make sure it doesn't change.
LATER TODAY, I HOPE TO FIND THE INFORMATION ON THE SITE THAT I HAD MENTIONED PREVIOUSLY.
Since it's a DVR with only an ethernet port, you most likely can't install any sort of wireless adapter (unless the manual says it supports certain model wireless adapters). You would want a wireless bridge, which is a device you would connect to the ethernet port on your DVR, and you would configure the wireless bridge to connect to your wireless network.

What model router and wireless router do you have? We can look and see if it supports dynamic DNS updates.

Geoff

VIP Member
WRT-54G Cisco/Linksys wireless router...Again, have to do wireless not wired.
Yes, and as I said before you most likely will need to use a wireless bridge. You would connect it to your DVR using an ethernet cable, and it would allow you to connect it to your wireless network.

That is a very old wireless router, the good news is that it's very popular among third party firmwares, so you could load DD-WRT or Tomato on it and get the dynamic DNS updater. I don't believe it has it in the factory firmware.

Da Mail Man

Yes, and as I said before you most likely will need to use a wireless bridge. You would connect it to your DVR using an ethernet cable, and it would allow you to connect it to your wireless network.

That is a very old wireless router, the good news is that it's very popular among third party firmwares, so you could load DD-WRT or Tomato on it and get the dynamic DNS updater. I don't believe it has it in the factory firmware.

Yes, and as I said before you most likely will need to use a wireless bridge.
YEAH, I UNDERSTOOD THAT.

You would connect it to your DVR using an ethernet cable, and it would allow you to connect it to your wireless network.
LOOKING AROUND ON EBAY AS WE "SPEAK".

That is a very old wireless router,
OHHH YEAH BUT, IT SERVES IT'S LEGITIMATE PURPOSES.

the good news is that it's very popular among third party firmwares, so you could load DD-WRT or Tomato on it and get the dynamic DNS updater.
HOW?...WHERE?......LINK?....PROCEDURE?

I don't believe it has it in the factory firmware.
I HAVE NO IDEA BUT, BELIEVE WHEN IT WAS GIVEN TO ME IT WAS PURCHASED NEW AND POSSIBLY "VIRGIN".

ANY SPECIFIC QUALITIES OR SPECS THIS WIRELESS BRIDGE SHOULD POSSESS?

mrcheese

i have cctv linked to my laptop when on site externally and i had to port forward the dvr port the dvr ip address as the internal in router, then on dvr software the external static ip and port are set to user name and password so the software can link in to the dvr and see the cams online.

Da Mail Man

...........Something just dawned on me - if i tie in the cctv/dvd to the net to be able to view the cams from a remote computer, how would one (due the selection of multiple cams since i have 9) select an individual cam to view?...I hope later to retrieve the dvr packaging box in the attic (if i can find it!) and see if there is any additional info i can get....I still don't have any additional info requested on the "bridge" that was suggested.

Last edited:

mrcheese

to view the cctv online you either need a dvr or nvr (dvr = digital video recorder) (nvr = network video recorder) and that has port numbers setup into port forwarding side of router. this is then linked into the cctv system software installed on the computer / laptop etc. for example my cctv is run through a dedicated micros sprite 2 which uses netviewer to run the cctv cams direct to the laptop.

Da Mail Man

to view the cctv online you either need a dvr or nvr (dvr = digital video recorder)
I OF COURSE HAVE A DVR WHICH IS THE RECORDER ITSELF WITH A NET PORT AND 16 CAM CONNECTIONS - 9 USED.

(nvr = network video recorder)
SEE ABOVE

and that has port numbers setup into port forwarding side of router.
CISCO/LINKSYS WIRELESS ROUTER ONLY IN ADDITION TO THE ABOVE STATED

this is then linked into the cctv system software installed on the computer / laptop etc.
NOW - SEE, THIS IS THE FIRST I HAVE HEARD OF THIS! IF I AM AT THE PUBLIC LIBRARY FOR INSTANCE, I OBVIOUSLY CANNOT INSTALL SOFTWARE THERE AND, YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT I CANNOT IN SOME WAY CONNECT THE DVD/CCTV UNIT TO THE ROUTER AND ACCESS THAT FROM ANY REMOTE COMPUTER - THAT I MUST HAVE A COMPUTER HERE REMAINING ON ALL THE TIME??!?

for example my cctv is run through a dedicated micros sprite 2 which uses netviewer to run the cctv cams direct to the laptop.
I AM TALKING NOTHING BUT USING THE DVD/CCTV, A WIRELESS BRIDGE WHICH I AM TOLD I NEED, AND MY WIRELESS ROUTER.

Geoff

VIP Member
NOW - SEE, THIS IS THE FIRST I HAVE HEARD OF THIS! IF I AM AT THE PUBLIC LIBRARY FOR INSTANCE, I OBVIOUSLY CANNOT INSTALL SOFTWARE THERE AND, YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT I CANNOT IN SOME WAY CONNECT THE DVD/CCTV UNIT TO THE ROUTER AND ACCESS THAT FROM ANY REMOTE COMPUTER - THAT I MUST HAVE A COMPUTER HERE REMAINING ON ALL THE TIME??!?
That depends on the DVR, many you can view in any current web browser, while some others require an app. However you connect to it now, is how you would connect to it after port forwarding is setup.

Da Mail Man

That depends on the DVR, many you can view in any current web browser, while some others require an app. However you connect to it now, is how you would connect to it after port forwarding is setup.

...Ok...will have to see if i can locate packing box for dvr/cctv in attic later today for any more info i can discover. Also, any specific qualities or specs the wireless bridge you mentioned some posts ago should posses?

Geoff

VIP Member

...Ok...will have to see if i can locate packing box for dvr/cctv in attic later today for any more info i can discover. Also, any specific qualities or specs the wireless bridge you mentioned some posts ago should posses?
Something like this is perfect for your needs: http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Unive...id=1414243556&sr=8-3&keywords=wireless+bridge

It supports 802.11b/g/n, since you would be streaming video you may want to upgrade your wireless beyond 802.11g.