Security Cams over Net?

Da Mail Man

No, you don't want to enter "access via wireless" in the SSID field, this is asking for the SSID of your existing wireless network.
I DIDN'T KNOW THAT!...FIXED NOW

The site survey feature will show you a list of what this device sees, and you can pick from the list rather than having to enter it manually. If you don't see it, either it's a hidden network or it's too far from the access point.
IT IS 30' FROM WIRELESS ROUTER. AS I SAID, I DO NOT KNOW IF NETWORK IS HIDDEN BUT, CAN CHECK THAT NOON-ISH.

Do you know the name of your network? If so, enter that name in the SSID field.
NO, I DO NOT - I NEVER DID OR CHANGED ANYTHING HAVING TO DO WITH THAT.

For accessing your wireless router, do you have it connected to your wired router via it's WAN or LAN port?
NOT WAN BUT LAN (1 OF THE 4 PORTS IN BACK)

If it's a LAN port, you should be able to access it using the IP of the wireless router,
BUT, TYPING IN THE 192XXX XXX ETC BRINGS ME TO THE WIRED ROUTER, NOT TO THE WIRELESS. I MAY HAVE TO PULL THE CONNECTION ON THE WIRELESS AND CONNECT IT DIRECTLY TO ACCESS IT.

if it's the WAN port you're using double-NAT, and won't be able to access it without being on the wireless network.
AS ABOVE

You will probably come back and say this is too complicated,
NO - JUST GOING TO REMOVE THE CAT 5 FEEDING THE WIRELESS AND RUN IT DIRECTLY.

but we told you before you should not be using two routers on your home network. This is exactly why.
I DETEST WIRELESS AS IT IS TOO EASILY "CRACK-ABLE" BUT, THAT IS NOT THE ISSUE HERE. BELIEVE ME, IF I COULD HAVE HARD WIRED EVERYTHING, I WOULD HAVE BUT, NOT POSSIBLE AT THIS TIME.

WHAT IS "QOS" (QUALITY OF SERVICE)? IT SAYS "WMM SUPPORT ENABLED" AND "NO ACKNOWLEDGEMENT" DISABLED.

I APPRECIATED THE REPLY.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
The wired and wireless router need to have different IP's, one could be 192.168.1.1, and the second one you configured yourself, I remember from your other thread you picked some weird IP like 192.168.1.159. As we said in that thread, we told you to use something similar to 192.168.1.2, that way you know it's just one number up from your wired router, but no, you insisted on using some random IP.

You said you disabled encryption, in order to do this you need to access your wireless router, so when you are in there look at the network name.

Having a separate wireless router on your wired LAN does not increase security at all over using just the wireless router for both.

QoS is quality of service, you can specify which service you want higher priority, or default of voice and video first.

Da Mail Man

The wired and wireless router need to have different IP's, one could be 192.168.1.1, and the second one you configured yourself, I remember from your other thread you picked some weird IP like 192.168.1.159.
YES, I DID.

As we said in that thread, we told you to use something similar to 192.168.1.2, that way you know it's just one number up from your wired router, but no, you insisted on using some random IP.
BUT "YES" I DID. WHY BE SO "PI$$Y" ABOUT THAT?...ANY IP COULD WORK AND SO, I CHOSE ONE. I APPRECIATE THE ASSISTANCE A GREAT DEAL BUT, SARCASM AND THE LIKE WE CAN ALL DO WITHOUT PLEASE.

You said you disabled encryption, in order to do this you need to access your wireless router, so when you are in there look at the network name.
YES, I MISPLACED THE PAPER I WROTE THE WIRELESS ACCESS NUMBER ON - LOOKING FOR IT NOW OR, WILL RESET TO FACTORY SPECS.

Having a separate wireless router on your wired LAN does not increase security at all over using just the wireless router for both.
1) I DON'T AND NEVER LIKED WIRELESS FOR ANYTHING. 2) HAVING ALREADY CRACKED WPA/WPA2 MAKES ME DISLIKE IT EVEN MORE. 3) IT IS HARDER TO GET INTO A WIRED CONNECTION THEN A WIRELESS ONE. SO, I WOULD SAY THAT A WIRED CONNECTION IS MUCH MORE SECURE THAN A WIRELESS ONE.

QoS is quality of service, you can specify which service you want higher priority, or default of voice and video first.
OK

Last edited:

Da Mail Man

further info:

1...laptop is running wireless internet with external antenna.

2...all connections with WIRED router have been "terminated".

3...any current net access is now ALL going through the WIRELESS router.

4...no security, wide open, ssid visible and not hidden, etc.

5...laptop access is fine.

6...restored the linksys/sysco bridge to it's factory settings.

7...when doing "wireless scan" from w/in the unit's web access page, it may find 1 or 2 wireless stations but, even at < 4' distance, does not see mine when my laptop sees it easily.

8. the units' listed ip address is 10.100.1.1

9...the unit although displaying an ip address, shows is not connected.

Last edited:

Da Mail Man

YOU STATED:

"You said you disabled encryption, in order to do this you need to access your wireless router, so when you are in there look at the network name."
I SEE NO NETWORK NAME ASSIGNED. HOWEVER, THE UNIT STILL WILL NOT DETECT MY LINKSYS WIRELESS ROUTER BUT, IS DETECTING ANOTHER FAINT NETWORK OF A NEIGHBORS.'

Geoff

VIP Member
YOU STATED:

"You said you disabled encryption, in order to do this you need to access your wireless router, so when you are in there look at the network name."
I SEE NO NETWORK NAME ASSIGNED. HOWEVER, THE UNIT STILL WILL NOT DETECT MY LINKSYS WIRELESS ROUTER BUT, IS DETECTING ANOTHER FAINT NETWORK OF A NEIGHBORS.'
Do you have another wireless device like a smartphone or computer? Can that see the wireless network? Did you look to see if it was hidden yet?

Da Mail Man

Do you have another wireless device like a smartphone
NO

or computer?
YES

Can that see the wireless network?
YES

Did you look to see if it was hidden yet?
AS STATED, IT IS NOT HIDDEN AND ALL FIREWALLS CONTAINED THEREIN ARE DOWN AND SSID IS VISIBLE (NOT HIDDEN).

In my reading, this unit has 3 antennas internally. the specs indicate b-g-n compatibility. I am thinking that 1 of the 3 internal antennas are defective, that being "g".

Geoff

VIP Member
In my reading, this unit has 3 antennas internally. the specs indicate b-g-n compatibility. I am thinking that 1 of the 3 internal antennas are defective, that being "g".
Each antenna isn't for each technology, the 3 antennas are used for MIMO.

Da Mail Man

......Any other ideas as to why this unit will not "see" a wide open wireless router while seeing a neighbors?......maybe broken?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
......Any other ideas as to why this unit will not "see" a wide open wireless router while seeing a neighbors?......maybe broken?

It likely talks a different protocol than yours is broadcasting. Should be configurable in the routers admin area.

Da Mail Man

It likely talks a different protocol than yours is broadcasting. Should be configurable in the routers admin area.

...Thanks for the reply...I wouldn't think so. Pertaining to the wireless router - it broadcasts in "g" and the wireless bridge is compatible with wireless b,g,n.

ADDITIONAL;
I looked on a few sites pertaining to this POS and finally went and attempted "chat help" in the linksys forum...That was good for XXXX also as it gave me no way to connect to chat. So, i reluctantly signed up to the forum there and posted asking others there about compatibility with "g" since i read that it was compatible else-where.

Max. Wireless Data Rate: 1300 Mbps
Model: wumc710
Max. LAN Data Rate: 1000 Mbps
MPN: WUMC710
Number of LAN Ports: 4
Network Connectivity:
Wireless - Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Wireless - Wi-Fi 802.11b, Wireless - Wi-Fi 802.11g, Wireless - Wi-Fi 802.11n

Last edited:

Da Mail Man

...A quick possibly unrelated question;

...If the unit i am having issues with is "flashed" with DD-WRT firmware[/B], would that change the functionality of the unit?...For example; if it is only compatible with "AC" or "B" and I have wireless "G" here, would that "flashing" change the compatibility to include or function with "G"....

...I realize that this my be more of a hardware issue of the unit to only function with "AC" or "B" however, could the "software change make in functional as above?

Agent Smith

I'm not understanding the problem here reading a couple pages back. Are you bridging two routers using WIFI? In order for that to work you have to have the same hardware. Even then WDS (Wireless Distribution System) is flaky.

And NEVER configure settings wirelessly.

Last edited:

Da Mail Man

I'm not understanding the problem here reading a couple pages back.
THAT SHOULD BE OUTLINED IN PREVIOUS POSTS...THE UNIT I HAVE (WUMC-710) DOES NOT RECOGNIZE THE LINKSYS WIRELESS "G" ROUTER AND WILL NOT CONNECT OR EVEN FIND IT. IT DOES FIND A NEIGHBOR OR TWO. I READ ON A WEBSITE AND POSTED SOME SPECS RECENTLY THAT SEEM TO INDICATE THAT THE UNIT SHOULD/DOES RECOGNIZE "G" HOWEVER, VIA THE LINKSYS WEBSITE/FORUM PAGES, I AM TOLD IT WILL NOT.

Are you bridging two routers using WIFI?
WAS TRYING THAT BUT, TO ELIMINATE PROBLEMS AND TO BE SURE ROUTERS ARE SET UP WITH NO "CONFLICTS", HAVE DISCONNECTED EVERYTHING AND HAVE THE WIRELESS ROUTER GOING DIRECTLY TO THE CABLE MODEM. SO, THAT IS NOT AT ISSUE AT THIS TIME.

In order for that to work you have to have the same hardware. Even then WDS (Wireless Distribution System) is flaky.
SAME HARDWARE??...LINKSYS TO LINKSYS, D-LINK TO D-LINK, BELKIN TO BELKIN?.....I DON'T AGREE WITH THAT.....I AM NOT ADVERSE TO FLASHING THE WUMC-710 WITH DD-WRT IF I THOUGHT THAT WOULD WORK.

Geoff

VIP Member
I'm not understanding the problem here reading a couple pages back. Are you bridging two routers using WIFI? In order for that to work you have to have the same hardware. Even then WDS (Wireless Distribution System) is flaky.

And NEVER configure settings wirelessly.
He's trying to connect his wireless bridge to his router, but for some reason it won't see his network but sees his neighbors. I'm stumped, he doesn't know the name of the network SSID so he can't type it in manually, but he says it's not hidden.

Da Mail Man

He's trying to connect his wireless bridge to his router, but for some reason it won't see his network but sees his neighbors. I'm stumped, he doesn't know the name of the network SSID so he can't type it in manually, but he says it's not hidden.

No....if you read my last post, everything is disconnected and the bridge is currently connected (have tried this both ways!) to the cable modem and the bridge doesn't see the network!...Have also tried to connect bridge to wired router with same results!......ssid IS being broadcast.....scanning says linksys if that is what you are referring to as "network". maybe we are on the same page here but, interpreting something differently.

Further, there is no name listed for the network name (if i look at the setup page corectly, "linksys" is listed there as router name(??)....I have connected other things that connect easily to the wireless router w/out incident.

WHAT LINKSYS TOLD ME BELOW:

"You have a single band 5GHz wireless bridge and a single band 2.4GHz wireless adapter. The wireless devices that can connect to the bridge are those running with wireless-N and AC adapters".

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
No....if you read my last post, everything is disconnected and the bridge is currently connected (have tried this both ways!) to the cable modem and the bridge doesn't see the network!...Have also tried to connect bridge to wired router with same results!......ssid IS being broadcast.....scanning says linksys if that is what you are referring to as "network". maybe we are on the same page here but, interpreting something differently.

Further, there is no name listed for the network name (if i look at the setup page corectly, "linksys" is listed there as router name(??)....I have connected other things that connect easily to the wireless router w/out incident.

WHAT LINKSYS TOLD ME BELOW:

"You have a single band 5GHz wireless bridge and a single band 2.4GHz wireless adapter. The wireless devices that can connect to the bridge are those running with wireless-N and AC adapters".
Why is your bridge connected to the modem?? It should go modem > wired router > wireless router, and on the other end it should go device > wireless bridge. Eventually that would be your DVR, but for the initial config I think it needs to be a computer.

Da Mail Man

Why is your bridge connected to the modem?? It should go modem > wired router > wireless router, and on the other end it should go device > wireless bridge. Eventually that would be your DVR, but for the initial config I think it needs to be a computer.

Why is your bridge connected to the modem??
I CONNECTED IT EVERY WHICH WAY I COULD BUT, NOT CURRENTLY CONNECTED TO MODEM.

It should go modem > wired router > wireless router, and on the other end it should go device > wireless bridge.
AGAIN - I HAVE IT: CABLE MODEM>WIRELESS MODEM, THEN EVENTUALLY CCTV/DVR>WIRELESS BRIDGE (CCTV/DVR PLUGS INTO WIRELESS BRIDGE.

Eventually that would be your DVR, but for the initial config I think it needs to be a computer
I CAN ACCESS THE SETUP PAGE OF THE ROUTER VIA COMPUTER OF COURSE BUT, STILL THE BRIDGE AND WIRELESS UNITS DON'T SEE EACH OTHER.