Security Cams over Net?

Da Mail Man

UPDATES:

....Ok, acquired a Cisco/Linksys WRT54G2 router with DD-WRT software on it......Geez, a lot more bells and whistles on it....So, I had to go through a few U-Tube videos on how to set it up different ways but, somehow was successful in getting my laptop to connect with my wireless G router FOR TEST PURPOSES ONLY.

....Now, most likely in next day or so, I will attempt to affix it to my CCTV/DVR and see what happens from there.

....I have a wireless "N" Cisco/Linksys router coming in in a few days as a possible "mate" for the WUMC71 "N" unit that won't recognize my "G" router.

Last edited:

Da Mail Man

UPDATE(S)

....I have connected the WUMC710 with cat 5 cable to cctv-dvr (cctv) and clicked what the instructions indicate to do so as outlined in my post #29.

Now, here where some of what i will assume will be many problems start - it says;
"Next you must log into your Router/Gateway and port forward 80, 101 and 8670 to your local IP address.

....I have the "710" (N) hard wired to the cctv and the indicator lights indicate "connected". Logging into a wireless cisco/linksys E2000 (N) wireless router (which connects to the hard wired linksys router as previously indicated) via another computer, shows the 710 and E200 connected/recognized together.

....The "710" is pulling an ip address, the E2000 is pulling an ip address, the linksys router (hardwired) is pulling an address - so, is it the E2000 i have to open to "port forward"?

...Further, it had some settings that dealt with internet explorer which i do not use and i do not see in Firefox. lastly, HOW am i to view or access what the cams see? Do i type the ip address into a browser or what?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You port forward from whatever router is the default gateway (whichever one is handing out IP addresses).

As for accessing the cams, I don't know.

Da Mail Man

You port forward from whatever router is the default gateway (whichever one is handing out IP addresses).

As for accessing the cams, I don't know.

...thanks for the reply.....
I was just reading about port forwarding on the net when you post was applied.....

"Default gateway???".....does not the wired router dish out the ip for the E2000 wireless router and the E2000 dishes out the ip for the "710" and in turn dishes out an ip for the cctv?

Seems it wants me to screw around with the "applications and gaming" tab in the E2000 wireless router so, I will tinker with that for a while and see how more messed up I can get!:)

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Staff member
I still don't understand your scheme. If you have multiple routers attached to each other, only one should have its DHCP server enabled to hand out IP addresses, and all devices on the network would get their address from that one router with DHCP enabled.

Da Mail Man

I still don't understand your scheme.
MAKES TWO OF US!:):)

If you have multiple routers attached to each other,
I DO BUT, DON'T WANT TO, IT'S BECAUSE I HAVE TO:(

only one should have its DHCP server enabled to hand out IP addresses,
NOT BEING FAMILIAR WITH WIRELESS (COULD YOU HAVE GUESSED THAT:)?)
I AM NOT SURE I FOLLOW YOU...

(WORKING BACK TO CABLE MODEM) =

CCTV VIA CAT 5 > 710 WIRELESS BRIDGE > "air connected to" E2000 WIRELESS ROUTER > HARD WIRED TO WIRED LINKSYS ROUTER HARD WIRED TO > CABLE MODEM > OUT TO STREET.

...THIS BEING SAID, WHICH ONE SHOULD I CHECK FOR THIS DHCP SERVER?

and all devices on the network would get their address from that one router with DHCP enabled.
GEEZ, I THOUGH THAT THE PRINCIPLE OF THE ROUTER WAS TO "CREATE" IP ADDRESSES SO THAT MULTIPLE DEVICES COULD RUN WITHOUT A "COLLISION" OF SORTS BECAUSE OF IP CONFLICT.

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
If you have multiple routers attached to each other via LAN ports on both, only one should have its DHCP server enabled to hand out IP addresses.

Fixed :p Otherwise you would run into a broadcast domain boundary (but you already knew this).

voyagerfan99

Staff member
CCTV VIA CAT 5 > 710 WIRELESS BRIDGE > "air connected to" E2000 WIRELESS ROUTER > HARD WIRED TO WIRED LINKSYS ROUTER HARD WIRED TO > CABLE MODEM > OUT TO STREET.[/B]

...THIS BEING SAID, WHICH ONE SHOULD I CHECK FOR THIS DHCP SERVER?

and all devices on the network would get their address from that one router with DHCP enabled.
GEEZ, I THOUGH THAT THE PRINCIPE OF THE ROUTER WAS TO "CREATE" IP ADDRESSES SO THAT MULTIPLE DEVICES COULD RUN WITHOUT A "COLLISION" OF SORTS BECAUSE OF IP CONFLICT.

Then that means the router coming directly off your cable modem is handing out IP addresses.

Da Mail Man

Then that means the router coming directly off your cable modem is handing out IP addresses.

...so, that particular wired router gets "requests" to it to be forwarded out to the net OR, gets requests from the net to be forwarded to my "network" or both?..or am i still majorly messed up here?

beers

Staff member

...so, that particular wired router gets "requests" to it to be forwarded out to the net OR, gets requests from the net to be forwarded to my "network" or both?..or am i still majorly messed up here?

Not really either. Hosts/computers on your LAN broadcast out a DHCPDISCOVER packet through your network. There is a DHCP server on your router that receives this, compares it to the currently allocated addresses, and then sends a DHCPOFFER with an IP address, mask, default gateway and DNS reference back to whatever computer or device requested it.

The requests don't leave your local network, so the router handles them all itself. The router does a similar process by sending DHCPDISCOVER to your ISP in order to get an Internet/External address.

The problem with multiple routers in a home environment by default is that they are not aware of each other and their leases. One router may receive and send the DHCP offer faster than another, but it could potentially be an address that was already allocated by the other router.

Therefore, you would resolve this by only using one DHCP server and disabling the service on the extra routers.

Last edited:

Da Mail Man

Not really either. Hosts/computers on your LAN broadcast out a DHCPDISCOVER packet through your network. There is a DHCP server on your router that receives this, compares it to the currently allocated addresses, and then sends a DHCPOFFER with an IP address, mask, default gateway and DNS reference back to whatever computer or device requested it.

The requests don't leave your local network, so the router handles them all itself. The router does a similar process by sending DHCPDISCOVER to your ISP in order to get an Internet/External address.

The problem with multiple routers in a home environment by default is that they are not aware of each other and their leases. One router may receive and send the DHCP offer faster than another, but it could potentially be an address that was already allocated by the other router.

Therefore, you would resolve this by only using one DHCP server and disabling the service on the extra routers.

...Phew!.......ok, i will tinker with this for the next few hours to figure out wtf i am doing...THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES!.