Severe dust bunnies

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I've seen some nasty machines come in from smokers. Let me tell you, they are not pleasant at all.

spirit

Staff member
I've seen some nasty machines come in from smokers. Let me tell you, they are not pleasant at all.

Yeah they're disgusting. I've only had to deal with one in my life but it was horrible. My friend's parents smoke, and obviously whilst at the computer too, and I had to remove the hard drive from their machine and inside everything is like thick and yellow and filthy. It was just horrible, so I'd definitely advise you to refrain from smoking near your computer.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
Before:
filter2x.jpg

After:
filter3.jpg

A piece of air conditioner filter foam from the hardware store, held in place with some 16ga wire. Washable in warm water, or just blow the dust off with canned air.

sicdeath

Take a leaf blower and at maximum speed, put the blower at an angle so the dust just flies out. This is what I usually do and it takes about 3 minutes to do and completely cleans everything.

spirit

Staff member
Take a leaf blower and at maximum speed, put the blower at an angle so the dust just flies out. This is what I usually do and it takes about 3 minutes to do and completely cleans everything.

Wouldn't really recommend doing it this way to be honest, it's not the safest - you can damage your fans if you hold the leaf blower there too long, so at least immobilise the fans or something before you take a leaf blower to them lol. :p

Wouldn't recommend using a hoover either, causes too much static, and so does a paintbrush.

Compressed air is usually the best way, just make sure before you spray it that there's no moisture coming out of the can. You don't want that moisture inside your system, otherwise when you next turn your system on you can fry it. :/

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Wouldn't really recommend doing it this way to be honest, it's not the safest - you can damage your fans if you hold the leaf blower there too long, so at least immobilise the fans or something before you take a leaf blower to them lol. :p

Wouldn't recommend using a hoover either, causes too much static, and so does a paintbrush.

Compressed air is usually the best way, just make sure before you spray it that there's no moisture coming out of the can. You don't want that moisture inside your system, otherwise when you next turn your system on you can fry it. :/

I also would not recommend the leaf blower idea. If you have an air compressor, use that instead. Keep a finger on the fans you blow at to prevent them from over-spinning and burning out.

And as Vista said, don't use a vacuum or paintbrush either.

gamblingman

VIP Member
I totally agree with not using a vacuum.

I work in an area with a lot of dust and we use vacuum Torit systems and dry-vacuums to keep the dust out of the air and off tooling. You would not believe the amount of static even small amount of dust can generate. I can't tell you how many times a dry vac hose has built up a static charge and grounded-out on me or a co-worker. It's not pleasant.

Vacuums seem like a good way to do it until you or your computer act as the ground circuit.

Are you using a good air filter on your a/c system? And if you have a lot of people going in & out of your computer room and/or house there will be more dust.

Last edited:

SuperDuperMe

I usually use compressed air :p When i can afford it :p

Ill just have to keep an eye on it and not let it build up like i normally do :p

spirit

Staff member
This is what I use.
I do have a dryer system on it because moisture and paint don't mix very well.

<snip>

I'm too poor to afford such awesome hardware. I use a £3.99 can of 400ml compressed air to dust out my PC. :p I need to buy another can soon though, almost run out.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
We just have a cheap little Husky compressor we use at work. Need a new hose for it cause it leaks.

SuperDuperMe

So i made some filters out of my gf's old tights :p

Seems to be working well at catching the dust. So fingers crossed if i keep up with maintenance i should do ok :D