Severe dust bunnies

OvenMaster

VIP Member
Before:
filter2x.jpg

After:
filter3.jpg

A piece of air conditioner filter foam from the hardware store, held in place with some 16ga wire. Washable in warm water, or just blow the dust off with canned air.
With the warm weather upon us now, it was plain to see that the foam filter only really worked as much as it was over the holes. The foam got clogged up real fast choked off air flow... not good in summer.
So I finally broke out a coping saw, a file, a piece of metal gutter guard mesh and a new piece of foam.
im000036512.jpg
im000037512.jpg

No tools. Now instead of just ±10 square inches of filter area being used, with the space between the front metal panel and the filter there's now ±30 square inches of filter area... and a drop of 3°c in CPU temps!

MMM

I ground the PC computer & myself to prevent static discharge, using a small soft paint brush with low pressure air from compressor via a moisture trap, away I go cleaning the inside of PC's with no harm whats so ever, great results.... been doing this for twenty years with no harm to the PC's.
Once a year spring cleaning..... the higher your PC is off the floor less dust it will attract.

I even dismantle the PSU's and optical drives for blow out....

Last edited:

Callum Lord

Weather or not your system is on the floor or not, it should not collect That Much Dust. Do you smoke? Smoking in a room with a computer, makes the dust Stick badly to the internal of the system. Otherwise the room you are in could be a very badly dusty room. Try opening a window for a few days and letting some dust escape from the room.

MMM

Weather or not your system is on the floor or not, it should not collect That Much Dust. Do you smoke? Smoking in a room with a computer, makes the dust Stick badly to the internal of the system. Otherwise the room you are in could be a very badly dusty room. Try opening a window for a few days and letting some dust escape from the room.
I use to service computers years ago and you will be surprised as to what environments people live in.... I'm no talking inside the house but the outside environment which can impact greatly on the dwellings.
You get to know after a while when visiting different locations.