Show off your speed

beers

Staff member
Like $149.99 CAD unless your on a bundle deal with TV, home phone etc..
LOL.. crazy monopolies in this country..

27658682.jpg

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Is it fiber based? They really have no reason to make it asymmetrical.
Welcome to Canadian internet.
http://www.telus.com/en/ab/internet/?INTCMP=LNK_frmCTA_TopNavigationAll_toHomeInternet
http://www.rogers.com/consumer/internet
http://www.bell.ca/Bell_Internet/Internet_access

Bell offers better upload speeds. Canadian internet is...fun. For a good time read http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/internet/

It should also be mentioned, getting phone, tv or internet service here is like buying tires. You never pay full price. Sure you have to call them and haggle a bit, but all the major providers will offer discounts.

Darren

Staff member
The house my parents rented has this. We're somewhat isolated out here but I get a steady 6 down, which coming from home isn't much of a step down sadly.

You guys are sitting here talking about how expensive it is for a gigabit or blah blah blah. The maximum speed AT&T even OFFERS at my home address is 18mbps Uverse. Our 12mbps package is I think $50ish a month for the internet.

So. Screw off. :p

I did see a sign that Cox is going to be offering Gigabit in Wichita soon. I think their top speed now is maybe 2-300mbps or so for Residential customers. Hopefully AT&T follows suit as they are the only 2 providers there.

Origin Saint

Due to some relationship issues, I'm staying at my dads.

Who unfortunately is using Frontier DSL internet. We have the fastest available package from them (6 Mbps down), and a Netgear custom Frontier modem/router combo.

Did some speedtests, was barely breaking 1.5 Mbps, and ping consistently above 150 ms. Called and chatted with Frontier for about 3 hours two nights ago. Got it sorted to the point of occasionally reaching 5 Mbps, and ping sometimes goes less than 100. Guy on the phone said they'd send a crew to look into the lines outside and see if there's an issue there or with the local station.

My desktop (connected via Gigabyte wireless AC card) will randomly disconnect from the internet, while the modem still reads a green light on internet and DSL. Then something like 3 minutes later, the internet suddenly works, no work required. This isn't mentioning the ping is so bad that Overwatch or Rocket League is fairly unplayable and even at the 6 Mbps, downloading patches would move as fast a molasses going uphill in winter compared to the 30 Mbps I've gotten used to.

Hopefully the ping issue gets resolved or something. :mad:

Geoff

VIP Member
Due to some relationship issues, I'm staying at my dads.

Who unfortunately is using Frontier DSL internet. We have the fastest available package from them (6 Mbps down), and a Netgear custom Frontier modem/router combo.

Did some speedtests, was barely breaking 1.5 Mbps, and ping consistently above 150 ms. Called and chatted with Frontier for about 3 hours two nights ago. Got it sorted to the point of occasionally reaching 5 Mbps, and ping sometimes goes less than 100. Guy on the phone said they'd send a crew to look into the lines outside and see if there's an issue there or with the local station.

My desktop (connected via Gigabyte wireless AC card) will randomly disconnect from the internet, while the modem still reads a green light on internet and DSL. Then something like 3 minutes later, the internet suddenly works, no work required. This isn't mentioning the ping is so bad that Overwatch or Rocket League is fairly unplayable and even at the 6 Mbps, downloading patches would move as fast a molasses going uphill in winter compared to the 30 Mbps I've gotten used to.

Hopefully the ping issue gets resolved or something. :mad:
Makes the 20-50Mbps down and 35ms ping on my Verizon LTE hotspot look amazing.

beers

Staff member
Hopefully the ping issue gets resolved or something.
That's far too high. Usually you can ping the DSLAM or gateway on the provider side as evidence that it's a circuit issue. A lot of ISPs do interleaving but it shouldn't be more than about 30 ms at max.

If you log into the modem, what kind of line stats do you see for signal to noise and similar?

Also, sorry to hear on the relationship side :(

Origin Saint

Also, sorry to hear on the relationship side :(
Thanks for the condolences. As small as a gesture that may be, it means a lot right now. Having a hell of a time getting through the days at the moment.

Usually you can ping the DSLAM or gateway on the provider side as evidence that it's a circuit issue.
No clue what this means here. Someone can elaborate if nothing else works.

If you log into the modem, what kind of line stats do you see for signal to noise and similar?
I'll send you over a PM to keep this off the thread, unless someone wants it in the thread for future troubleshooting or something.