Show off your speed

beers

Staff member
Since my Moto X went for a swim and Republic is pissing me off, I dug out the ole VZ Galaxy Nexus with a Straight Talk SIM :p

Eat it, nerds.

2094203759.png

Origin Saint

In case anyone was wondering why my service is so bad with my dad's ISP, here's an example:
In rural areas including parts of upstate New York, Frontier only offers DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) internet service to its customers using traditional copper wires. Frontier's DSL service is considered by many users to be some of the worst in the industry. A class action lawsuit was filed in 2014 by Frontier customers in West Virginia alleging that they did not receive advertised download speeds using Frontier's broadband services. In the FCC’s most recent Measuring Broadband America report, the company’s DSL service was one of the worst performers in the survey, only delivering about 85% of the advertised sustained download speeds. Even the Frontier fiber service failed to consistently meet advertised speeds. On December 10, 2015, West Virginian state Attorney General Patrick Morrisey announced that the company agreed to a $160 million consumer-protection settlement, stating that the deal is “a game-changer for the Mountain State”. As terms of that settlement, Frontier admitted no wrongdoing.

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontier_Communications

Origin Saint

Mother of god. We've had a few client circuits through Frontier, nothing but problems. I'm amazed they're still even in business.
I've got Time Warner coming to see if they can service this address, but if they can't, our only options are Frontier, Hughes Net, or a wireless hot spot.

C4C

My apartment is going to be stupid slow. Xfinity (Comcast) pulled out of the college town a couple years ago. CenturyLink provides 1GB/s connection to the school, but the town gets 10-40Mbps depending on if you're north or south of the campus, and the only other company offering internet is Davis Communications.

I'm just hoping the ping is low for internet gaming.

Darren

Staff member
M

When my family switched from DSL to Uverse it was actually kinda strange that my latency was better on DSL than Uverse, despite the triple DL speed compared to DSL.

Reactions: C4C

C4C

When my family switched from DSL to Uverse it was actually kinda strange that my latency was better on DSL than Uverse, despite the triple DL speed compared to DSL.

Davis Communication, the local place has 10Mbps for $49.95/mo..... Poorly rated for customer service and connection is not always as promised according to recent reviews.

CenturyLink is promising up to 40Mbps for $35/mo (2 years) but I'm checking to see what the 1yr price is and what the speeds at my apartment are..

EDIT: 10Mbps, $36.94+tax with a 1yr agreement. $25 bill credit if scheduled online through a representative and a $25 Visa card promo that's going on right now... So $36/mo after promo and tax.. Not bad.

beers

Staff member
You might be able to get them to disable interleaving (also known as switching to 'fastpath mode') to get rid of some of that latency if it's a little high. It usually saves 10-20ms out to the DSLAM.

Reactions: C4C