Show off your speed

Origin Saint

Ran another speed test last night when the internet suddenly seemed extra-extraordinarily slow. I was getting 45 ping and 6.15Mbps at about 9am. Ran the test at about 9pm when it was acting up, got 324 ping and 0.24Mbps down. Really should have got a screenshot or something of it.

Lol that's the truth... Frontier is rated D- on BBB

http://www.bbb.org/upstate-new-york...er-communications-corp-in-rochester-ny-31775/

Glad I don't have to deal with them haha
Took a look at them on there.
We find a high volume and pattern of complaints exist concerning prior Verizon consumers who have not had a smooth transition to Frontier Communication since Frontier Communications took over various Verizon customers on April 1, 2016. Consumers have reported that services did not transition properly: many do not have services or are having spotty service with outages; many internet issues, from slow speeds to complete outages, consumers advise they are paying for certain levels of internet speeds but are not receiving those levels.
Everything makes sense now. That's almost exactly when dad said it started sucking eggs. Yeah, it's DSL, and is only 6Mbps down, but it's pretty damn sad when it can't even meet my dads low standards for internet (all he needs is Pandora, YouTube and Netflix). Holy mother of internet gods I hope TWC responds soon with good news, this is a fresh, new hell.

Darren

Staff member
Ran another speed test last night when the internet suddenly seemed extra-extraordinarily slow. I was getting 45 ping and 6.15Mbps at about 9am. Ran the test at about 9pm when it was acting up, got 324 ping and 0.24Mbps down. Really should have got a screenshot or something of it.

Took a look at them on there.

Everything makes sense now. That's almost exactly when dad said it started sucking eggs. Yeah, it's DSL, and is only 6Mbps down, but it's pretty damn sad when it can't even meet my dads low standards for internet (all he needs is Pandora, YouTube and Netflix). Holy mother of internet gods I hope TWC responds soon with good news, this is a fresh, new hell.

I used to have 6mbps DSL and while it was slow, it was reliably slow. I had pretty decent ping with it, usually got 40ish to most game servers and stayed consistent. On Uverse 12mbps my ping is usually now 60-70 and more susceptible to other usage on the network, despite the higher speed.

Intel_man

VIP Member
5526679975.png

Perks of going back to school... Shaw offers extreme discounts for students. Only paying $35/mo for this.

Laquer Head

5526679975.png

Perks of going back to school... Shaw offers extreme discounts for students. Only paying $35/mo for this.

Yeah, SHAW has some excellent deals for students.. and they never asked for my ID or confirmation that I was going to UofC so I got a student discount for like 3 years~

Darren

Staff member
Using mobile tethering on my G4 with AT&T for the first time. Works decently enough, and lets me play Rocket League with playable ping pretty easily. In a smallish touristy town in Northeast Oklahoma and getting this pinging off a server in Texas.

Geoff

VIP Member
Using mobile tethering on my G4 with AT&T for the first time. Works decently enough, and lets me play Rocket League with playable ping pretty easily. In a smallish touristy town in Northeast Oklahoma and getting this pinging off a server in Texas.

RIP your data plan

Geoff

VIP Member
Why? I played RL for over an hour and used a tad over 100mb.
Just because everything on a desktop is so data intensive. It may only use a small amount of data to game, until you find that the game download a 1GB update in the background, Windows downloaded some hotfixes, your antivirus software downloaded it's updates, Dropbox synced some files, etc. Out of nowhere I can see that my desktop used a few gigs and I don't know why.

WeatherMan

Before I got internet in the flat I used an EE 4G 'My-Fi' Hotspot, regularly used 10's of GB per month and was forever topping up, used to get through about $120 of allowance some months for not even 30GB

Darren

Staff member
Just because everything on a desktop is so data intensive. It may only use a small amount of data to game, until you find that the game download a 1GB update in the background, Windows downloaded some hotfixes, your antivirus software downloaded it's updates, Dropbox synced some files, etc. Out of nowhere I can see that my desktop used a few gigs and I don't know why.
I kept an eye on it. By that logic tethering a desktop in any user case is a bad idea. Which obviously isn't true. Also this laptop is primarily just a school machine with very little on it. Office and a handful of light games for when I'm on the go.

Geoff

VIP Member
I kept an eye on it. By that logic tethering a desktop in any user case is a bad idea. Which obviously isn't true. Also this laptop is primarily just a school machine with very little on it. Office and a handful of light games for when I'm on the go.
If you have a very limited data plan, it is a bad idea to tether at all. There are many times the moment you connect to WiFi, everything starts to sync and download. With a fast LTE connection, you can download a few hundred megs in a matter of a minute or two.

Darren

Staff member
If you have a very limited data plan, it is a bad idea to tether at all. There are many times the moment you connect to WiFi, everything starts to sync and download. With a fast LTE connection, you can download a few hundred megs in a matter of a minute or two.
Steam missed the memo because it burned through 300mb download Rust in a few minutes before I caught it. Luckily we've got 28gb to burn this month.

C4C

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I love my the internet at my new apartment! Fastest provider in town!

5607827831.png

RIP to me doing anything YouTube related, and/or gaming.