Show us your Windows Experience Index Scores!

Darren

Staff member
weik.png

Same specs in sig but with no Overclock on CPU and smaller OC on GPU that you can see in the bottom right window.

spirit

Staff member
My new score is 5.9 because my SSD failed so now I'm using a Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200 RPM. :/

spirit

Staff member
I've found the scores in VMs are the same as the host usually apart from maybe the HDD score.

wolfeking

banned
I find the score to be extremely misleading. It basically says that HD7850, GTX560, and HD6970 CFx are all equal performance, and it puts pretty much all SATA III SSDs to be equal (which is BS). Proof!
Untitled-32_zpsad0800c8.png

spirit

Staff member
Yeah it's not very accurate. Basically any video card which is faster than a 5870 or a 560 Ti scores 7.9 (the 5870 and the 560 Ti both score 7.8), and any SATA 6GB/s SSD also scores 7.9. CPU seems to be the hardest thing to get close to 7.9 on. :/

wolfeking

banned
nyx is running 7.9 on a vanilla 560.

CPU is not hard to get close on. Mine scored running 4.3GHz with HT on.

RAM seems harder though. 8GB 2133MHz @ 11-13-11-23 2T does not max it. I assume 16GB would get close too. Not sure what they score it on.

NyxCharon

I've found the scores in VMs are the same as the host usually apart from maybe the HDD score.

This isn't a normal VM. It's a Xen VM with it's own dedicated GPU, a 7850, and 2 dedicated cores of an I5. :p

Before I passed through the graphics card, my graphics scores were in the low 3's.

spirit

Staff member
nyx is running 7.9 on a vanilla 560.

CPU is not hard to get close on. Mine scored running 4.3GHz with HT on.

RAM seems harder though. 8GB 2133MHz @ 11-13-11-23 2T does not max it. I assume 16GB would get close too. Not sure what they score it on.

Hmm weird. Not sure what an OC'ed 560 Ti or 5870 would get, but I tried a 560 Ti at stock and a 5870 at stock, they both score 7.8.

I have yet to see any CPUs get 7.9.

I get 7.9 with 16GB 1648MHz DDR3 9-9-9-24, but only 7.8 if I leave it at the default 1600MHz. I got 7.9 with 12GB of 164MHz 9-9-9-9-24 too - and it was only single channel (3x4GB)!

paulcheung

Yeah it's not very accurate. Basically any video card which is faster than a 5870 or a 560 Ti scores 7.9 (the 5870 and the 560 Ti both score 7.8), and any SATA 6GB/s SSD also scores 7.9. CPU seems to be the hardest thing to get close to 7.9 on. :/

The WEI on windows 7 is ranging from 1.0 to 7.9; so anything over that is just 7.9, correct me if I am wrong. below is copy from the windows help.

What is the Windows Experience Index?

The Windows Experience Index measures the capability of your computer's hardware and software configuration and expresses this measurement as a number called a base score. A higher base score generally means that your computer will perform better and faster than a computer with a lower base score, especially when performing more advanced and resource-intensive tasks.

Each hardware component receives an individual subscore. Your computer's base score is determined by the lowest subscore. For example, if the lowest subscore of an individual hardware component is 2.6, then the base score is 2.6. The base score is not an average of the combined subscores. However, the subscores can give you a view of how the components that are most important to you will perform, and can help you decide which components to upgrade.

You can use the base score to buy programs and other software that are matched to your computer's base score. For example, if your computer has a base score of 3.3, then you can buy any software designed for this version of Windows that requires a computer with a base score of 3 or lower.

The scores currently range from 1.0 to 7.9. The Windows Experience Index is designed to accommodate advances in computer technology. As hardware speed and performance improve, higher score ranges will be enabled. The standards for each level of the index generally stay the same. However, in some cases, new tests might be developed that can result in lower scores.

spirit

Staff member
Yeah the trouble is when Windows 7 came out in October 2009, the 5870 was the fastest graphics card in the world and it scored 7.8. Fair enough. But then over time faster cards came out (480s, 6970s, 580s, 7970s, 680s etc) and the WEI was never updated to reduce the score of the older cards to allow for a more accurate comparison against the newer cards... if you know what I mean?