Show us your Windows Experience Index Scores!

spirit

Staff member
How much is a copy of 8.1?

It's going to be about the same as Windows 8.

Just think of 8.1 as a service pack. It's free if you already have the OS and will be on Windows Update.

In addition to this, Windows 8 DVDs will be discontinued and Windows 8.1 DVDs will come out instead. So if you are buying the OS new, you may as well buy the 8.1 DVD when they come out on Friday.

It's exactly like Windows 7 SP1 and every service pack for a long time. You will be able to buy the update integrated into the OS installation media. You can buy Windows 7 with SP1 DVDs for example.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I have just read (on Wikipedia admittedly) that Windows 8.1 will no include the WEI. I'll have to see if that's true tomorrow when I download 8.1 from Windows Update.

Nope. No WEI in Windows 8.1 (as seen from my VM)

1dy5.jpg

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
How much is a copy of 8.1?

Well windows 8 pro 64 OEM is £80
8 pro 64 retail is £115

I should say 8.1 copy's will be around the same as like spirit said,Although if you want windows 8 i would buy it NOW..i just got a copy of 8 pro X64 upgrade for £49 off of tescos website using the code tdx-fq7w.
Will do a clean install with the copy and update it to 8.1 when it arrives.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Nope. No WEI in Windows 8.1 (as seen from my VM)
Yep. I've got it on my secondary PC (and will install it on my main PC tonight hopefully) and I saw that the WEI has been discontinued.

On the buying front, there is obviously nothing stopping you from buying Windows 8 and then upgrading to 8.1 since it's free, it's just good to have 8.1 integrated because it will save so much time if you need to reinstall. It took me several hours to download and install it last night.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
When it first came out with Windows Vista, the max score was 5.9, then it was upped to 7.9 in 7, and then 9.9 in 8.

I think they discontinued it because it was a bit worthless, but kind of fun nonetheless. :) They didn't see it as being a terribly useful feature.

PCunicorn

It was introduced in Vista for basic users to see what their PC can do. For example if WEI had hit it off, a game like COD might say you need a 3D gaming WEI of 5.2 to play this game etc etc

lucasbytegenius

It was introduced in Vista for basic users to see what their PC can do. For example if WEI had hit it off, a game like COD might say you need a 3D gaming WEI of 5.2 to play this game etc etc

Problem was, it was never used for games as far as I know. You couldn't just put on the box "You need a WEI score of at least 6 total, or minimum 4 in gaming graphics to play this game." It lacked standardization I think.
It was a good idea for those who didn't know what "specs" are, but it never caught on.

spirit

Staff member
The trouble was it was never really updated to accommodate more powerful hardware. For example, when Vista came out, to get 5.9 you needed a quad-core (Q6600 would have been enough), 2GB or 4GB of DDR2 RAM and a graphics card equal to about an 8800 GT. Back in 2007 when Vista came out, that was fairly high-end hardware, but in 2011 when I built my friend's budget PC, he got 5.9 on everything with a Phenom II X4 840, 4GB of DDR3 except for the gaming graphics where he got 5.7 - but he was using a 5670 which was a low-end card.

Had the scores been updated to accommodate for better hardware, then maybe it would have been a bit more meaningful and useful. However, I did say earlier and even in the first post of this thread that it's not a serious benchmark and it shouldn't be taken seriously. It's really just a bit of fun comparing scores. :)

Darren

Staff member
Most people on here have pretty high end computers. See Okedokey's machine for example.

Okedokey

Windows 8.1 has WEI. You just need to know how to run it.

1. Open command prompt as admin.
  2. Type: winsat prepop
  3. Let it run.
  4. Then open powershell as admin and type: Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_WinSAT
  5. Your basescore will be the number next to WinSPRLevel

Mine is 7.25.