Sister PC problems...

PcFreak14

Sister PC problems...

well guys let me just tell you i have been hearin my sister like crying to me becasue i did something to her pc..
well heres the story yesterday i decided to slave another HD from another pc so i can reformat it. well when i tryed booting the pc it turned on and it said there was a missing or corupt file not found and and to insert the windows xp disc and do a repair so i tryed and got a error saying setupdd.sys wasnt found or something like that. and i thoguht okay ill just take the slave drive off her pc and just not bother with it and after i tryed starting it i got an error so then itryed to repair the her actually HD with her disc...no go ..so i reformated her drive and no i cant install windows it keeps saying to ctrl+alt + del...can anyone clarfy what i must do to go about geting windows back on becasue now shes useing my pc and i hate it and my dads saying i must get it running..so my sis would really appricate it to get it running again..

THanks a million guys, steve

**any questions please ask!!

PC eye

banned
For one when you booted from the installation disk you went after "her" primary drive and not your drive which was slaved in "her" case at the time. Now you will probably have to see if there is a partition on the drive with the installer by first looking and following the onscreen instructions.

When you first reach the option to install Windows you press the enter and look at the screen to see what drive is detected by the installer. If you corrupted the current partition you will want to choose the "L" option in order to delete the current partition and return to the installation screen. Once back you will a drive total for creation of a new primary partition which reads the total drive space. Answer yes to have the installer partition and format the drive when going to install Windows.

PcFreak14

Well i went about useing the Western Digital format disc that came with the HD..but i mean in the beginning where the blue windows setup window comes up and ask if you want to load RAID drivers i let it go becasue i dont need to then i recieve the message setupdd.sys the code error is 4 and i need to restart, i cant go any further..im lost i never had this happen..thanks steve

hells3000

Ive had this problem with my hdd...
I moved the jumper. not tp cable or master or slave I moved it to the blank space and it started loading again.
Unfortunately I got a driver error like a week after that but who cares press F1 to keep going and works perfectly

PcFreak14

yea but i reformatted so theres nothin to load..or do you mean to be able to get the pc to install windows and not get that error? thanks

PC eye

banned
The one thing to try there is mastering the drive at the end of the cable and booting with the installation disk. Once you are at the point to choose the "R" for repair with the recovery console and the press enter now to install proceed like you are ready to. Once the next screen comes up it will show the partitions and drives detected. You probably used the Fat32 partitioning tool and need to highlight the detected partition and press the "L" key for deletion.

On the next screen press the "D" key to confirm you want that removed. When starting the installation again notice the amount of drive space available and choose that to start the installer. You will then be prompted for an answer on having the installer partition and format the drive where you type "Y" for the yes answer. Let the installer create and format the drive. If the master jumper settings has a problem use the cable select.

PcFreak14

well i changed the drive and now when its going to boot from the cd i get this message

NTLDR is missing
Press ctrl + alt + del to restart

Now whats going on? thanks again

PC eye

banned
Have a floppy onhand? Find a working XP system like the one you are on and copy the three essential files for loading Windows onto it. The "ntldr", ntdetect.com, and boot.ini are the three you need to copy onto the drive if the "Fixmbr" and "Fixboot" commands fail at the recover console. You can also try an old 98-ME startup floppy and type "fdisk /mbr" at the dos prompt after booting with that. If none of these work try the "fixntldr.exe" method described at http://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes/files/ntldr_missing.htm

PcFreak14

PC Eye , how would i go about locating these files on putting them on a floppy? I know how to put them on a floppy,buy where can i go about locating them? thanks again

PcFreak14

Well i went to that link made a floppy and made sure it booted from that first and i got into the windowsxp but i got another error=[

File hal.dll could not be loaded
The code error is 7

What now?

PC eye

banned
Do you have a cd writer onhand? The idea there was to see if you still had a partition to work with on the drive. Since you haven't been able to use the XP installer the next step would be to see if the drive can be detected properly. If you don't have an older 98 or ME startup disk you can download the needed files to create a startup floppy with the fdisk utility. But even the updated version you would have search for at this time only partitions upto the 55gb point.

GParted is a free Linux partitioning tool that boots from a cd. With a good burn you can use this to delete any partitions on the drive as well as create a new primary. It will also show if the drive is detected. Is the drive connected at the end of the cable with the jumper set as master? At this time you want your sister's drive in the case by itself set as master. You can download GParted at http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gparted/gparted-livecd-0.3.1-1.iso?download

Once you have that downloaded you can burn that to cd with the free version of BurnOn found at http://www.download.com/BurnOn-CD-DVD/3000-2646-10434785.html?part=dl-BurnOnCDD&subj=dl&tag=button Afterwards you boot from the cd and press enter on the items already highlighted without wandering around there by choosing anything else. Most of the time the 24bit setting will work when you see that. The resolution is the one item you can change before getting to interface that looks like an old Windows desktop.

Once the gui is reached the hda1 should be seen on the small dropdown found at the upper righthand side of the screen. If you see that the drive has been detected properly. The exit and reboot is the small red button at the lower right corner. Before this however look over the XP cd to see if you find any scratches or finger marks from handling. A damaged or smeared cd will cause some installation problems.

PcFreak14

Well i downloaded both, the only thing is i cant locate what i need to burn in Burnon.Also i looked my Windowsxp Home disc that i need to use and there is some small scratches, may these casue the problem? What if i download a windowsxp home ISO file and burn that..will it work thanks

PC eye

banned
Well i downloaded both, the only thing is i cant locate what i need to burn in Burnon.Also i looked my Windowsxp Home disc that i need to use and there is some small scratches, may these casue the problem? What if i download a windowsxp home ISO file and burn that..will it work thanks

With BurnOn you use the browser to burn the GPart 0.3.1-1.iso to disk. That is teh Gnome Partition Editor. After burning it to a cd-r you boot from that to see if the drive is detected and still has a partition on it. Any partitions will be listed in the main window. If the drive isn't listed you will have to reassign the jumper setting on the drive itself. It should be mastered at the end of the cable.

If the scratches on the installation disk are too deep you would need to buy another copy in order to have a valid installation. But this sounds more like the drive isn't being detected by the installer on the current disk. If the drive still isn't detected after making sure it is set as master then try the cable select position. The first thing to remember is to remove the other drive you had in there so that this drive is a stand alone drive detected.

PcFreak14

sorry to bump an old thread but over the last week i havebt had time to try and fix my sisters pc..can anyone reccomend a good iso burner so i can burn something..and there experiences with it..i cant find a good one that burns over 300mbs on to a disc becasue there free trials..thanks

PC eye

banned
That's easy enough. BurnOn found at BurnWorld. The link was posted earlier for GParted partitioning tool. BurnOn will work endlessly as long as you get used to closing the IE window that opens after each burn for buying the retail version. The free version of BurnOn so far as worked better then the $100 paid out for Roxio's Easy Media Creator 8.0 for burning Linux isos.