Sister PC problems...

PcFreak14

okay im on burn world and i clicked on software downloads... which one should i download,,, CD Bootable software? thanks

PcFreak14

okay i used that program and burned a iso file of windows xp home edition. I tryed booting from it so that i can install it..went smooth untill when i think its called the kernal debugger starts then i got another error message " File ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. So i think my disc was find from the beggiding (sp)... I think we i tired running both HD in th e beddiding ,, the file from both hd's conflicted casueing this one to not have the right files... i maybe wrong you guys know this better.. I really need to get this pc up and running. Do you think theres files still on this HD . and can i somehow erase the whole thing. I just bought this HD for 70 bucks at bestbuy and its a shame that its not usable for her.. Thanks again guys i appricate and so does my lil sis

PcFreak14

anyone ever experience this or have an idea about sorting this out ,, im trying to be patient but my lil sis is going crazy bot having her pc..its stressing me ..lol thanks again

khumalo

Hey guys I have a problem, my PC is DELL make. Once I power it on it does not take long, it automatically shuts down without my commanding to do so, please assist?

PC eye

banned
okay i used that program and burned a iso file of windows xp home edition. I tryed booting from it so that i can install it..went smooth untill when i think its called the kernal debugger starts then i got another error message " File ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. So i think my disc was find from the beggiding (sp)... I think we i tired running both HD in th e beddiding ,, the file from both hd's conflicted casueing this one to not have the right files... i maybe wrong you guys know this better.. I really need to get this pc up and running. Do you think theres files still on this HD . and can i somehow erase the whole thing. I just bought this HD for 70 bucks at bestbuy and its a shame that its not usable for her.. Thanks again guys i appricate and so does my lil sis

The links posted earlier were burning GParted to cd in order to clean off and repartition the old drive there. The Windows installer would then format the new primary partition when you went to install a fresh copy onto the drive. That was to simply the process since you were having problems with getting the installer to wipe the drive for you. You tried burning the wrong thing to disk there.

PcFreak14

okay PC eye i downloaded it and burned it as a iso file. I put the disc in her pc and booted it up , gparted started and maybe a few seconds in to it, i recieved a message.

Kernel panic not syncing : attempted to kill init!

What does this mean?
What can i do

thanks steve

PC eye

banned
When you have a good burn to disk with GParted you will see different lists where the indicator sits on one by default. You simply keeping pressing the enter key until you reach the option to change from 1024x768 to 1280x1024. The others will send you all over the place since those are more for Linux then Windows. The resolution is one of the last options before the main gui comes up. You can raise or lower there without any problem.

Upon reaching what looks like an explorer type window you will see a large tool bar at the top of the screen. The buttons with new, apply, and delete will be seen along with a small one at the far right. When you click on that one the drive or drives installed in the system can be selected along with the partitions. Once you click on and highlight the HDa1 which should be the single primary for the drive you would then go to the delete button to click on that followed by the "apply" button. A popup box will then ask you for confirmation.

Once you respond to that the box will disappear and you will then see a scrolling bar going left and right for a minute or so as the primary is removed. You then simply click on the "new" button to create the new primary. It's a simple process where you will then click on the apply button a second time to see the confirmation box for this. To exit and restart the system click on the button with the red dot at the bottom right. You then have a choice of simply rebooting or first having the GParted cd ejected and then restart.

PcFreak14

when it starts it says 20 secs till boot or press enter
or something likefor older pc's type "lowmem"

the pc isnt too new really so what should i do
it has 96mb of ram
80gb hd

PC eye

banned
Do you have the drive repartitioned and the cd drive set as the first boot device? The 20 or so seconds is an older timer for deciding on booting right into the OS or entering the bios setup. It must have a 32mb along with a 64mb simm installed there. The command often seen on older systems was the "memset" or "lowset" for dos, 3.1, 95, 98, and ME. If you are planning to install XP that won't be necessary since XP has it's own configuration tools. For a look at the minimum system requirements for running XP go to http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPRequirements.html

PcFreak14

well i tryed useing the western digital disc after this whole thing happened... i did have xp on there for a long time...i mean it was super fast but my sis didnt mind

PC eye

banned
Often you will see the press any key in so many seconds in order to boot from the cd drive. Were you trying to use the LifeGuard utilities or the DRFat32 to reformat the other drive originally?

lhuser

Well, here's what I'd do:

Try to get another CD in the house and rewrite over the Windows setup. Then, if you can, insert her CD-Key. It should be left intact. I'm outdated on the thread. I forgot there was more than one page.

Last edited:

PcFreak14

Often you will see the press any key in so many seconds in order to boot from the cd drive. Were you trying to use the LifeGuard utilities or the DRFat32 to reformat the other drive originally?

Sorry for the late responce ,, well yes in the begining after the problem started i did use the disc to erase the hard drive the life guard that was included when i bought the HD. Was that a bad idea? thanks again soo much:D

PC eye

banned
From your description you had both drives in the case when that was done. That's where you saw the problem initially. While your sister's system was up and running you could have used the Disk Management tool to wipe the other one without going through this. But that is the old news here.

Now you have to get the drive cleaned off and then boot from the installation disk once GParted has cleaned the drive. How far did you get there? Once you delete the existing partition you should be able to use the installer to partition and format the drive when going to install XP on it. But to insure a new partition is created you can go that one step further and create the single primary with GParted.

The XP installer will then format the new partition. XP iwll detect the drive a little easier with a partition already on. But that is still going the one extra step. Check the XP cd for any scratches or finger marks in the meantime.

PcFreak14

i dont think i get the option that shows the partation.. and the ability to delete..ill try now and return with results that i recieve

PcFreak14

well i tryed again and it just gives me the boot option in the begining then itjust starts running a list and then it stops and it shows the Kernal panic thing..cant do anything after that...

PC eye

banned
What is the actual error message you see when trying this? For some reason it's detecting the drive but not able to delete the existing partition. There are two reasons I could think of offhand for seeing that. One is that there was a newer version on the drive then on the installation disk itself or you may have a bad disk. Have you been able to burn the GPart iso to cd?