Sister PC problems...

PcFreak14

"Kernel panic not syncing : attempted to kill init!" is the last thing i see towards the bottom, if you need all the other messages before that ill get it tomarrow after school. Yea i dont under stand why it wont let me go about deleteing that partation. No i tried useing the same exact disc that iused when i first bought the new HD, I also tried other discs,,same problem. Yea i burned the Gpart using a program called "burn on" iso file too. Im starting to doubt this pc..but i dont want to..because my dads on my tail about getting this pc goin again =[ thanks again for the help

Steve

PC eye

banned
One thing you could take a look at is the drive cable and the jumper setting on the drive to make sure it's mastered at the end of the primary ide cable. The cd drive can either set as the slave device at the middle connector or master on the secondary ide. Make sure those are the only drives connected. That will rule out any configuration problem.

When going to boot with the GParted cd keep pressing the enter key when you see each screen come up with one item already highlighted. Those are the defaults that will work on all systems. One of the last is the screen resolution settings. The previous one is at "24". Don't move that to "32". The default screen res is at 1024x768. You can move it to 1280x1024 without a problem. Once you reach the main gui that looks like large browser window you can move around easily there. You simply go to the far right and bring down the small tab to select the drive and partition on it. Then you click the "delete" and "apply" buttons on the main bar at the top and wait for a popup box.

Once you confirm the prompt there you will see a small scrolling tab in a box come up for a minute or so while the partition is being removed. To exit and restart afterwards click on the red button at the lower right corner.

PcFreak14

Well i have them both mastered on there own IDE. I tryed keep pressing enter and it started goin through and then i recieved a message

BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 8001006c
printing eip:
c012d0d
*=00000000
Recursive die( )failure, output suppressed
<0> Kernel panic - not syncing:Fatal exception in interrupt

I really dont know what that mean and im goin crazy
Well thanks once again for your patience and time
Steve

PcFreak14

GOOD NEWS PC EYE! I Though maybe it was the pc hardware itsself. So i have other pc's laying around with out HD's. So i pulled out a tower and inserted her new 80GB HD and booted Gparted. Started up and went through the enter clicking part..I deleted the partations. So its clean. Im just going to use this tower. But I ran into another problem when i try to boot from the windowsxp home disc i get an error that says
Error loading OS
What should i do now.
Im looking around n asking friends to see if they have a Xp home disc to barrow.
Thanks

PC eye

banned
How did you try starting the installer? Did you boot directly from the cd? Once you deleted the original partition you use the installer to create the new one along with that being formatted. When askked if you want to install Windows on the detected drive the installer will create that using the drive space listed. It will create and format a new primary followed by copying the setup files onto the drive.

PcFreak14

Well when i started running the windows xp disc it got through the blue screen, then the part a screen comes up saying theres no other copies of windows on this HD. so it says to put in a windows anyone from 98 to xp to show the pc.

also it says that it wasnt formatted to ntfs so itryed with gparted but it failed every time i tryed to make a new primary partation.
thanks again pceye

PC eye

banned
GParted can make a new one for you. It just won't be formatted until you select it when getting into the first install screen after the choice between R for the recovery console or press enter now to install. Once you get into the part where the total drive space is shown and you can highlight the C drive shown there you answer yes to ciontinue. If you are using an ugrade disk that explains the need for a disk from a previous version of Windows.

If you only have an upgrade disk you would have to create a Fat32 partition and install 98 onto to it in order to run the XP installer. Once XP is on you can convert the partition from Fat32 to NTFS. You now have to delete the one you made in order to create the new one. You can't make a new one without having drive space available. That's why you are seeing the error most likely.

PC eye

banned
Once you use GParted to delete the new one just made and go to create the one you need for 98 remember to select the type for Fat32. You will need to boot with a 98 floppy later to format it however. If you don't have one go to http://www.bootdisk.com to download the files need to make one up.

Once booted from type "Format C: /s" at the dos prompt to format and transfer the basic dos files on. 98 will be on long enough to run the XP installer. Hope to hear about some better results. You've been at it long enough. :eek:

PcFreak14

well im still looking for my windows 98se disc. but i downloaded a copy of 98se from a torrentsite. i burned it as a bootable disc. I also made a bootdisk like you said. but when i try to run 98 it starts this thing called caldera DR-DOS
and it shows
[DR-DOS] A:\> I have no idea what its doing
also when i try to gparted again it gets to the part where its scanning for devices then it just freezes.
what should i do?

PC eye

banned
DR Dos goes waaaaaaayy back to the old IBM days. First you need a definition of it to understand more. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DR-DOS ANd then you may have to download a few things like the updated FDisk for drives over 64gb in size found at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=263044

Since bootdisk.com is clustered with links you probably grabbed the wrong one. That won't be a problem since you simply will need the format.com file from a different link. That along with the updated fdisk will take care of removing the DR Dos and create a new Fat32 partition on the drive. Once the partition is made you then format it by typing "Format C: /s" and pressing the enter key. The "/s" is a switch to see that dos system files are copied to the drive as well as making the drive bootable to a dos prompt.

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm is the second page where you will see two 98 ilnks or mirrors followed by two 98SE mirrors for downloading the self extracting zip file. When going down 1/3 of the page there you will also see "dos/95/NT/98/bios" all bunched together. The 98 link is for a regular zip file containing the needed dos files. If you have Winzip you are all set.

You will have just enough room on a floppy for the updated fdisk along with the rest of the dos files. The original fdisk.exe file will need to be deleted to make room for the updated version of that. You simply boot to the dos prompt and type fdisk and press enter to see that screen come up where you will have 4 options. That's the fun part going back and forth initially in deleting and then creating a partition.

PcFreak14

okay well im going to try this when i get back from quadding, but what should i have all on that floppy, im sorry but im confused and just wanna make sure

PC eye

banned
Once you download and create the boot disk delete the fdisk.exe file. You need the updated fdisk download that will have a long number on it. Rename that to fdisk.exe and copy that to the floppy. With the old fdisk gone the floppy will now have room for the updated version. But it still has to be named fdisk in order to enter the dos command to enter that utility at the dos prompt.

The "format.com" file will be a mandate there to since that is what will be used to format the new partition created by fdisk. The following files should be seen when viewing the contents of the disk with either Windows Explorer or at the dos prompt with the "dir" or "dir/w" command.
"total files"
attrib.exe
autoexec.bat
cd1.sys
cd2.sys
cd3.sys
cd4.sys
chdsk.exe
command.com
config.sys
deltree.exe
display.sys
drvspace.bin
edit.com
edit.hlp(takes up space not needed)
extract.exe
fdisk.exe(updated version)
find.exe
format.com
himem.sys
io.sys
label.exe(can label drive in Windows not needed)
mem.exe
move.exe
mscdex.exe
msdos.sys
scandisk.exe
scandisk.ini
scanreg.exe(not needed)
smartdrv.exe
sys.com
xcopy32.exe(not needed)
xcopy32.mod(not needed)
xcopy.exe(not needed)

Once you have the drive partitioned with the updated fdisk you exit the fdisk utility and enter the "format C: /s" command to see it formatted as well as having the basic dos system files transferred with the "/s" switch added. You then simply change to the cd drive for installing 98 by typing "D:"(cd drive letter) and pressing the enter key. Once at the drive's prompt type in "setup" or "setup.exe" and press enter again to start the installer.

The link to download from is the "Windows 98SE Custom, No Ram [mirror]". This will actually create the boot disk for you. Just remember to replace the fdisk.exe file there with the updated version and you should be set. Just remember to have a preformatted blank floppy in the drive when double clicking on the tool in explorer. A popup box will show the progress as the floppy is being prepared and files are copied to it by the utility.

PC eye

banned
When you get to bootdisk.com's download page for the 98 download you save that to a folder and have a preformatted blank floppy ready to go. Once the blank is in the drive you cimply double click on the file to watch it copy the files needed to the disk by itself. The updated version of fdisk is named "263044usa8.exe" and will have to be renamed before it can be used.

First you will need to download both so you have them onhand. Once the boot floppy is created automatically by the 98 utility you browse to the floppy and delete the existing fdisk.exe file since that has drive size limitations on it. You never mentioned the size of the new drive you put in the case. If you installed an 80gb for instance you would see something like 55-64gb partitioned by the old fdisk. If it is a Western digital drive you could save time by downloading DRFAT32 which would do all of it in one shot.

The 263044usa8.exe will need to renamed when going to enter the fdisk command at the dos prompt once you boot with the boot floppy you just made. You simply right click on it and go to the general tab to enter fdisk.exe to replace the 263044usa8.exe name there and press the enter key or click on the ok button. either way there the name will now be fdisk.exe ready to replace the original version still on the floppy. Now you can fully partition a drive larger then 64gb with fdisk. Once you have done this once you will see how easy it is. The steps are outlined here to repeat that.

1)download both files needed from both sites
2)double click on 98 boot disk creator with blank floppy in drive
3)delete original fdisk,exe from floppy
4)rename 263044usa8.exe to fdisk.exe
5)copy updated fdisk utility onto floppy after removal of older tool.
6)boot system with finished boot disk with updated fdisk partitioning tool
7)type fdisk and press enter at dos prompt "A>" to startup fdisk utility
8)out of the 4 main onscreen options choose delete primary to delete the current one on the new drive.
9)return to previous menu to create new partition.
10)exit fdisk and enter "format C; /s" at A> to format new partition

Once you have followed those as seen you are ready to start the 98 installer after then changing to the D:>(cd drive letter) dos prompt. Step #11 is even far easier where you simply type "setup and press enter" to start 98 installer.

PC eye

banned
Believe me once you do this once or twice you will be shaking your head as to how easy it is to run the dos tools. I know the fdisk in the 98 downloads are not the updated fdisk at the other link due to having gone there for 98 some time back on the old case. When I dual booted 98 and Linux on an older build I ended up going there hoping it had the updated version. It didn't. Once in fdisk you will have to go back and forth a few times to select the correct numbered options for each thing. So get familiar with that a little.

PcFreak14

well okay im trying to give this a shot, i downloaded the usa8.exe but when you said
"
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm is the second page where you will see two 98 ilnks or mirrors followed by two 98SE mirrors for downloading the self extracting zip file. When going down 1/3 of the page there you will also see "dos/95/NT/98/bios" all bunched together. The 98 link is for a regular zip file containing the needed dos files. If you have Winzip you are all set."

Imtotatally lost for what i need to download can you point me in the right direction thankss

PC eye

banned
"Windows 98SE -Custom, No Ramdrive [mirror]" is the one with the auto tool with the exe seen on the end. It's a small program that extracts the needed files directly to the floppy. You don't have to worry there about winzip or any other archive tool to open it. That will do the work for you. The "mscdex.exe" file is included there for ready access to the cd drive.

Once the floppy is made by the utility there and you have renamed and copied the updated fdisk onto the disk you are ready to boot with it. Simply type fdisk at the A> prompt and have fun especially once you are in the fdisk utility. You will find yourself going back nad forth a few times trying to create the new partition after first trying to remove the current one. You'll get there sometime however. :p