Slow speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Can you give us more details please? What is slow about it? Have you ran Ccleaner? Checked for malware/viruses?

Shirshak Roy

Sir i ran prefetch , temp,%temp% but still it is slow.My computer speed is high but still opening an application or a game takes much time.

beers

Staff member
You didn't really address what he was looking for.

Most slowness derives from either having a bunch of useless crap installed and launching at boot, or malware. A lot of the time, it's both.

Have you done any malware scans?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Run the following and post the logs.

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your Desktop.

•Please close all open programs and internet browsers.
•Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
•Click on Scan.
•After the scan you will need to click on clean for it to delete the adware.
•Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
•Please post the content of that logfile in your reply.
•You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[Sn].txt as well - n is the order number.

Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.

•Shutdown your antivirus to avoid any conflicts.
•Very important that you run the tool in this manner:
Right-mouse click JRT.exe and select Run as administrator
Do NOT just double-click it.
•The tool will open and start scanning your system.
•Please be patient as this can take a while to complete.
•On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
•Post the contents of JRT.txt in your next message.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. Please keep updating until it says you have the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • A log will be saved automatically which you can access by clicking on the Logs tab within Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

If for some reason Malwarebytes will not install or run please download and run Rkill.scr, Rkill.exe, or Rkill.com. If you are still having issues running rkill then try downloading these renamed versions of the same program.

EXPLORER.EXE
IEXPLORE.EXE
USERINIT.EXE
WINLOGON.EXE

But DO NOT reboot the system and then try installing or running Malwarebytes. If Rkill (which is a black box) appears and then disappears right away or you get a message saying rkill is infected, keep trying to run rkill until it over powers the infection and temporarily kills it. Once a log appears on the screen, you can try running malwarebytes or downloading other programs.

Please post the log that Malwarebytes displays on your screen.

Download OTL to your Desktop

•Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
•Click on Minimal Output at the top
•Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
◦When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL. Just post the OTL.txt file in your reply.

Then post the logs from the following 4 programs.

1. Adwcleaner
2. Junkware removal tool
3. Malwarebytes
4. OTL

Geoff

VIP Member
Next time, post specs of your laptop so we don't have to research it. For those wondering, these appear to be the specs:

HP 15.6" Laptop
AMD A8-7410 @ 2.2GHz
4GB DDR3 RAM
500GB SATA 5400RPM
Windows 8.1

As to why it's slow launching programs and games, my guess is either you have a lot of programs installed, which are running in the background. With only 4GB of RAM and a slow hard drive, having a lot of background applications will cause it to run slowly.

After you do what John suggested above, I'd go through and uninstall any applications you don't need, then go to task manager > start up and disable any apps you don't need running in the background.

Shirshak Roy

Sir i have onlw two or more apps running and i have not installed so big applications that it would get so slow.This laptop model has recently came.

Geoff

VIP Member
You don't just have two apps running in the background. You'd have more than that taking it out of the box. Look at the list of startup items and either take a screen shot or list them here.

Geoff

VIP Member
Yes it does.
Unless your hard drive is at 99% capacity, I don't see how it would. Cleaning temp files doesn't increase performance. If anything it actually initially hurts performance as now it needs to pull a fresh copy of whatever image/data you previously had cached.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Try working on computers that have never had any cleaning done to them and when you run Ccleaner see that thousands of temporary internet files and system files have been deleted and it boots up much quicker and the web browser opens quicker and faster page loading times.

Yeah, you aren't no computer wiz!!! lmao.

wiz.jpg

Geoff

VIP Member
Try working on computers that have never had any cleaning done to them and when you run Ccleaner see that thousands of temporary internet files and system files have been deleted and it boots up much quicker and the web browser opens quicker and faster page loading times.

Yeah, you aren't no computer wiz!!! lmao.

View attachment 6896
Placebo.

I'd actually look into what cache is, before you think it's bad and should be deleted.

http://onlinecmag.com/does-deleting-cache-really-speed-up-pc/
http://www.howtogeek.com/184272/want-to-browse-faster-stop-clearing-your-browser-cache/
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-things/dont-be-fooled-by-these-10-pc-performance-myths/

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Tell you what Geoff, your expertise is networking. Mine is general computer cleanup, malware removal, system builds,etc. I've been working on pc's for almost 25 years and your gonna try telling me that Ccleaner doesn't help? I'm calling BS on that. I've seen proof with my own eyes that it does indeed help. You can post articles until your red in the face but I see everyday proof that it does work. SMH...

Geoff

VIP Member
Tell you what Geoff, your expertise is networking. Mine is general computer cleanup, malware removal, system builds,etc. I've been working on pc's for almost 25 years and your gonna try telling me that Ccleaner doesn't help? I'm calling BS on that. I've seen proof with my own eyes that it does indeed help. You can post articles until your red in the face but I see everyday proof that it does work. SMH...
Classic "it's how I did it when I was younger, and that's how it will always be" mentality.

I'm not saying you shouldn't use it, but mainly to regain free space. Clearing files which SOLE purpose is to speed up performance by making those files quickly available, is simply nonsense. (Also why it didn't help this person)

Status
Not open for further replies.