Slow!!!

ZER0X

VIP Member
My computer's pretty new, but i have a problem when i right click on the desktop it takes 5 seconds every time for the selections to come up, but when i click show the desktop only then sometimes the selections show up quick.???

Im pretty confused i wouldn't know why it's doing this but any help would be appreciated THANKS

Zer0X :)

kharmini91

A few ideas:

1. Disk Defragmenter- Go to Start, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Defragmenter. Analyze and if needed, Defragment.

2. Disk Cleanup- Go to Start, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Cleanup. I would suggest checking everything except "Compress Old Files".

3. Ad-aware- Download It Here Great program for getting the adware and spyware outta your hard drive, update and use often!

Hope This Helps :D

Last edited:

ZER0X

VIP Member
kharmini91 i have done all what you said but when i do diskcleanup it never finishes i have omce left it on for an hour before and it just won't finish, perhaps that is the reason????

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Maybe you have some corrupted temporary files, so delete them before running disk cleanup. To access the temp folder: start/run, type %temp% and enter. Also delete the temporary internet files in tools/internet options.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
My computer's pretty new, but I have a problem when I right click on the desktop it takes 5 seconds every time for the selections to come up, but when I click show the desktop only then sometimes the selections show up quick.???
Could it be a PIO/DMA issue? :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
To ensure your drives are operating in DMA mode: (1) Control Panel, (2) System, (3) Goto the Hardware Tab, (4) Device Manager, (5) IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, (6) Right Click on Primary IDE Channel --> Properties, (7) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK,(8) Right Click on Seconady IDE Channel --> Properties, (9) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK, (10) Reboot.

:)

ZER0X

VIP Member
Well Praetor i wish that was the prob but... NOOP that aint the prob, i think it might be a virus or multiple viruses on my system, or my computer is just plain screwed.

It's not a huge hasstle but it does get annoying sometimes it takes up to 20 seconds to right click maybe thats the RAM? who knows

I might have to even format my computer if it gets worse

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Goto the task manager before you right-click on the desktop and note what process jumps to 100% CPU use or whatnot as you right-click. :)

ZER0X

VIP Member
When i goto processes it goes right up to 100% usage before the menus come up hmmn i think it's my RAM but i wouldn't know why???

ZER0X

VIP Member
"IT" is when i right click on the desktop the menus will only come up when the cpu usage has gone up to 100% and services.exe cpu usage goes up to 36% usage explorer goes up to 40% + there are other processes that just go to TWO% usage.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Whoa services.exe .... very odd.... have a lookie through the Windows Service manager (start --> run --> services.msc) for anything "out of place" or something like that :) I suspect a service that's set as "Manual" startup is having problems.

ZER0X

VIP Member
Perhaps so mayb ever since i linked my computer to another computer it wen't slow but now that computers gone maybe thats got something to do with it, I did share internet access with it so hmmn dunno...

charly

i just hava clue, and i guess praetor will know more about (hope so)

could be that you set your network as "automatically connect to network ?"
cuz of missing the other pc your's slows down. remove the drives from network or set to manual.

hope it works

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Good point although i suspect its not the case here: do Zer0x, do you have shared drives? (especially one's that have been mapped?)

ZER0X

VIP Member
Yer i do have shared drives but i havn't got rid of em yet

i reckon it's just a simple reason for it.

Last edited:

ZER0X

VIP Member
well the problems still there no matter wot i do. The services.exe maybe the problem like Praetor said but couldn't find anything unusal or out of place.... hmmn im annoyed with it.

Last edited: