Small Computer Mod

Kornowski

VIP Member
Hi Guys,

I have 3 spare drive bays on the front of my PC and I want to add a 120mm fan there. What size drill but would be Ok to drill to holes for the screws? Looks as if it's a 4mm hole on the fan?

Also, Does anybody know where I can buy replacment pannels if it goes wrong :p

I think I'm going to tape them together and then use a coping saw and then file it down, I'll also need to buy a fan grill at some point.

Thanks a lot!

Kornowski

VIP Member
Actually, I've changed my mind, New idea:

I want to buy an 80mm and 120mm hole saw, anybody know where I can get one in the UK that is suitable for cutting through a thin PC metal case.

Also, Where can I get spare blanking plates for the front bays?
Can you?

Also, Sorry for all the questions, If I was to cut a 120mm hole in the top of my case, would it be an intake or exhaust fan?

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
i think you can buy blanking plates from any computer store realy,Just ask em.
Im sure i saw some in Maplin anyway:cool:

as for your question

If I was to cut a 120mm hole in the top of my case, would it be an intake or exhaust fan?

i dunno,What do you have those fans as at the side of your case?
Intake or exhaust?

Kornowski

VIP Member
i think you can buy blanking plates from any computer store realy,Just ask em.
Im sure i saw some in Maplin anyway

Ok sure, I had a look on their site and I couldn't find any :(

i dunno,What do you have those fans as at the side of your case?
Intake or exhaust?

I have two 80mm intake fans on the side and an 80mm exhaust fan on the back.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok sure, I had a look on their site and I couldn't find any :(

I have two 80mm intake fans on the side and an 80mm exhaust fan on the back.

ohh right,Hmm i dunno mate realy:cool: Doesnt ebuyer have any at all?

i would have the top fan if you put one in as an intake then,Dunno if that would be the best option but thats probably what i would do.:)

Kornowski

VIP Member
caseidearv9.gif

Here's my idea for some new fans, the red ones I already have.
I don't know if I'd need the 120mm on the top, I don't really want to drill a hole in my case, but I don't mind doing it to the front bay covers.

Would it help or should I just leave it?

Also, Where can I buy spare black front bay covers in the UK? Thanks.

Last edited:

Kornowski

VIP Member
I don't really want to cut a hole in my case though, I'm quiet happy to do it in the drive bays though :p

Don't know if an exhaust 120mm on the top would be worth it, also, it may just suck the air coming from the 80mm on the front back out?

taylormsj

I was thinking about just drilling a lot of holes - did this before on an old case and it worked well - possibly intake would be beneficial - have to try it out

oscaryu1

VIP Member
but doesnt the PSU make alot of heat? do i would make it an exhaust... but if there are vents on the end of the PSU yes... it would help alot... cool it more =) my cmoputer is crap... 2 PSU fans, 1 CPU Fan, 3 Case Fans, 2 HDD fans... and there all blowing in, except the 2 PSU fans... gonna toast my cmoputer today

liquidshadow

Top is definitely exhaust. Also, did you know that a regular CD is that same size as a 120mm fan? and a mini-cd is a 80mm. ;)
Good references to go by.

Kornowski

VIP Member
I was thinking about just drilling a lot of holes - did this before on an old case and it worked well - possibly intake would be beneficial - have to try it out

Thats something I'd never thought of, Good idea, would it work though?

but doesnt the PSU make alot of heat? do i would make it an exhaust... but if there are vents on the end of the PSU yes... it would help alot... cool it more =) my cmoputer is crap... 2 PSU fans, 1 CPU Fan, 3 Case Fans, 2 HDD fans... and there all blowing in, except the 2 PSU fans... gonna toast my cmoputer today

Yeah, but if I put an 80mm fan on the front, wouldn't the top 120mm suck it all back out again?

Top is definitely exhaust. Also, did you know that a regular CD is that same size as a 120mm fan? and a mini-cd is a 80mm.
Good references to go by.

Thanks for that, Yeah, I'm sure they'll come in handy :)

taylormsj

Yeh drillings holes worked perfectly could take the advice and draw round a CD and then drill holes within the shape