Suggestions for a new build.

spirit

Staff member
You can get classic mode in Windows 7!!

W7classic.png

If after having set classic mode you right click on the taskbar, click Properties, then to go Taskbar Buttons and click Never Combine, then click Use Small Icons it will make it look more Vista:

W7classic3.png

This is the end result:

W7classic2.png

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
That's great news, thanks. Now I'm kind of looking forward to the new machine's O/S.

Yeah Windows 7 Pro is very nice - I'm using it now. By the way to get the classic theme in the first place right click on the Desktop, go to Personalize and then you should see Windows Classic under the Basic and High Contrast Themes. :)

wolfeking

banned
they might have reinstalled it, or it might be something with pro, but From what I am seeing on home premium it is not there.

Certain capabilities and programs that were a part of Windows Vista are no longer present or have been changed, resulting in the removal of certain functionalities. These include the classic Start Menu user interface, some taskbar features, Windows Explorer features, Windows Media Player features, Windows Ultimate Extras and InkBall. Four applications bundled with Windows Vista – Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Movie Maker, Windows Calendar[41] and Windows Mail – are not included with Windows 7, but applications with close functionality are instead available for free in a separate package called Windows Live Essentials which can be downloaded on the Microsoft website. Although Windows Ultimate Extras was removed, many of the extras can be installed separately.[42] Most popular extras were Microsoft Texas Hold 'em, Microsoft Tinker, and Windows DreamScene.[43] InkBall may also be installed into Windows 7.

spirit

Staff member
they might have reinstalled it, or it might be something with pro, but From what I am seeing on home premium it is not there.

You can do this on any Windows 7. What they meant by "classic Start Menu interface" is that in Windows 7 you cannot have a start menu like that of Windows 95, NT4, 98, 2000 and Me, but in XP and Vista you could if you wanted.

spirit

Staff member
wolfeking said:
is that not what he wanted?
You can make Windows 7 look classic to some degree, the start menu is one of the things MS emitted but other than it you can have look pretty 'classic' if you want.

wolfeking

banned
I wanted the whole Classic experience. Windows with no nav buttons, desktop, start menu, task bar...all of it.

I'll settle for as much as I can get.
Ah, sorry for the mis read. as he says below, you can not make it all the way classic. Then again, you might be able to get a program to change it. I know there is one i've used but idr the name.
You can make Windows 7 look classic to some degree, the start menu is one of the things MS emitted but other than it you can have look pretty 'classic' if you want.

Durango_Boy

That's awesome. I'm hoping to start ordering components in a week or so.

I'll start a thread on the build itself with pics if anyone is interested in seeing it.

spirit

Staff member
I'll look forward to seeing some build photos.

There's a program called ViStart which allows you to modify the Start Menu, you may be able to use that to get the classic start menu?

Durango_Boy

I'll look forward to seeing some build photos.

There's a program called ViStart which allows you to modify the Start Menu, you may be able to use that to get the classic start menu?

Keep you eyes open and subscribe, I'll start it when I get the first components, and update it as I continue it.

I'm also building my desk to have hidden cable paths and plug ins for the monitors to reduce the amount of cords snaking around. It'll be very minimalistic.

I'll include pics of that process as well since I'll be building the computer and modifying the desk in the same process.

Can the power socket from a power supply, the female plug, be found in a plate form? I want to mount one in the desk so I can use a power supply power cord to plug the desk into the wall, and then route all the power wires and such to the accessories that need them. That way everything is self contained in the desk...one plug and it's movable if need be.

spirit

Staff member
Durango_Boy said:
Keep you eyes open and subscribe, I'll start it when I get the first components, and update it as I continue it.

I'm also building my desk to have hidden cable paths and plug ins for the monitors to reduce the amount of cords snaking around. It'll be very minimalistic.

I'll include pics of that process as well since I'll be building the computer and modifying the desk in the same process.
All sounds like good stuff!

Durango_Boy said:
Can the power socket from a power supply, the female plug, be found in a plate form?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean here??

wolfeking

banned
do you mean the plug in the back of the PSU in a plain socket like thats anchored in the wall to plug things into? If so, then I do not think so.

Durango_Boy

do you mean the plug in the back of the PSU in a plain socket like thats anchored in the wall to plug things into? If so, then I do not think so.

Yeah. I can scavenge the parts I need from a used PWS and make my own plate to mount to the desk.

If I could find out the name of that plug socket, I could do a better search online to see if something like that does exist.

Darren

Staff member
I've got classic. I downloaded nothing and I'm using a Builder's Version of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.