The Hate On Apple Thread

bkribbs

I think I have the same bug on my iTouch 4G, however I didn't just wait for the download to finish over days and days I simply powered the thing off by holding the sleep button after waiting a half hour for an app to download. On reboot there was my app, all downloaded and ready to use.
I haven't encountered that bug yet since I updated to iOS 4.2.1, however, so maybe it was just a 4.1 bug.
I find I disagree with you about the iOS feeling like a beta build, I've had no other trouble with it besides that bug. The only thing that annoys me is Safari's lack of a download manager, and iTunes' crap. What ever happened to the days when you could just plug in your device to a USB port and browse the files? Why must we cook our CPUs just to sync our iPods? Maybe I'm out of it, as up till I got my iTouch I had been using a 7 year old Dell Axim X30 running buggy WM2003, but at least that thing had download capabilities in Opera Mini and I could browse the files on the device with a file manager I chose and change things myself to make it appear not as buggy. Now whenever there's a bug on my iTouch I have to wait for the next firmware release, which may or may not fix it, while a quick Google search would fix my Axim.
/rant
Other than that, I have no problems with it :D

I would jailbreak your iPod, and install iFile, and Safari Download Manager. I have both, and they help a ton. Jailbreaking is not bad for your iDevice, and only really can help. If you want to, and you need assistance PM me, or make a thread and point me to it.

EDIT: Oh and the alarm bug (assuming thats the one you all were talking about) was supposed to be on all devices, if they were set for a non reoccuring time/date (such as just one day, instead of each saturday etc.)

speedyink

VIP Member
I think I have the same bug on my iTouch 4G, however I didn't just wait for the download to finish over days and days I simply powered the thing off by holding the sleep button after waiting a half hour for an app to download. On reboot there was my app, all downloaded and ready to use.
I haven't encountered that bug yet since I updated to iOS 4.2.1, however, so maybe it was just a 4.1 bug.
I find I disagree with you about the iOS feeling like a beta build, I've had no other trouble with it besides that bug. The only thing that annoys me is Safari's lack of a download manager, and iTunes' crap. What ever happened to the days when you could just plug in your device to a USB port and browse the files? Why must we cook our CPUs just to sync our iPods? Maybe I'm out of it, as up till I got my iTouch I had been using a 7 year old Dell Axim X30 running buggy WM2003, but at least that thing had download capabilities in Opera Mini and I could browse the files on the device with a file manager I chose and change things myself to make it appear not as buggy. Now whenever there's a bug on my iTouch I have to wait for the next firmware release, which may or may not fix it, while a quick Google search would fix my Axim.
/rant
Other than that, I have no problems with it :D

Yeah, 4.2.1, seems to have fixed it. But I tried power cycling it before and it only temporarily got it going again. I'd be rebooting the thing all day..

As for buggy that was 4.1, have yet to extensively use the new one yet. But a lot of it was app store issues, apps disappearing, queuing app download issues, scrolling in app store sometimes resulting in unintentional 'clicks', and lots of little things that required me to reboot the device to fix, like youtube refusing to load more than 10 or so seconds into videos.

lucasbytegenius

I would jailbreak your iPod, and install iFile, and Safari Download Manager. I have both, and they help a ton. Jailbreaking is not bad for your iDevice, and only really can help. If you want to, and you need assistance PM me, or make a thread and point me to it.

EDIT: Oh and the alarm bug (assuming thats the one you all were talking about) was supposed to be on all devices, if they were set for a non reoccuring time/date (such as just one day, instead of each saturday etc.)

I have jailbreaked my device using limera1n when I had 4.1, I just didn't find it at all interesting. Maybe I should give it a more in-depth try again, what you're talking about is appealing.
I'm just a little skittish about discussing it here because of the no-hacking-discussions rules set in place here.
But I'll PM you my email address, we can discuss it that way :D

tlarkin

VIP Member
I have jailbreaked my device using limera1n when I had 4.1, I just didn't find it at all interesting. Maybe I should give it a more in-depth try again, what you're talking about is appealing.
I'm just a little skittish about discussing it here because of the no-hacking-discussions rules set in place here.

Use iPwn or something that has the word pwn in it and get the Cydia package manager. That is what I did, it is the best way to jail break your phone.

Just googled it, it is called Pwnage

http://www.blogsdna.com/5185/downlo...break-iphone-3g3gs-3-1-2-ipod-touch-3-1-2.htm

bkribbs

I use it to really unlock the possibilites. And it is allowed on here, if you read the rules, I believe it is stated, but I discussed it with a mod, and it is fine, Create a thread or PM. (It's fine, because there was a court case that declared it legal.)

Use iPwn or something that has the word pwn in it and get the Cydia package manager. That is what I did, it is the best way to jail break your phone.

http://www.blogsdna.com/5185/downlo...break-iphone-3g3gs-3-1-2-ipod-touch-3-1-2.htm

No, I wouldn't just search for iPwn or anything. If you want to give me the device gen and fw, I can point you to the easiest way, IMO.

EDIT: Although I have never tried it, so it could be better, but jailbreaking with like limera1n or redsn0w is my favorite way. And Pwnage is only for certain devices I think. By looking at the url, it appears to be only for devices on 3.1.2, so it is outdated.

tlarkin

VIP Member
My iphone is old, but the Cydia package manager is really sweet. I cannot run anything above iOS 3.0 on my phone, I got a first gen.

lucasbytegenius

Yeah, 4.2.1, seems to have fixed it. But I tried power cycling it before and it only temporarily got it going again. I'd be rebooting the thing all day..

As for buggy that was 4.1, have yet to extensively use the new one yet. But a lot of it was app store issues, apps disappearing, queuing app download issues, scrolling in app store sometimes resulting in unintentional 'clicks', and lots of little things that required me to reboot the device to fix, like youtube refusing to load more than 10 or so seconds into videos.

The thing they haven't fixed in the App Store that bothered me the most is how it loses your place in a long list of apps after you've chosen to install one and then open the App Store again.

Thanks, man, I'll have to try it some time. limera1n did install Cydia, but my cousin told me I just wasn't using enough package sources in it.
Also, what about www.jailbreakme.com? Is that any good? It's supposed to jailbreak your iDevice by visiting the web page on it and sliding a bar. Freuifrei.x recommended that one.
EDIT: Oh I see it only supports 4.0.1. NVM.
EDIT2: nvm, tlarkin. I have the iTouch 4G with iOS 4.2.1, PwnageTool supports the 3G/GS family and iOS 3.x.x.

Last edited:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I use it to really unlock the possibilites. And it is allowed on here, if you read the rules, I believe it is stated, but I discussed it with a mod, and it is fine, Create a thread or PM. (It's fine, because there was a court case that declared it legal.)

due to a DMCA exemption, it's legal to jailbreak a mobile device, so we allow that to be discussed here.

bkribbs

My iphone is old, but the Cydia package manager is really sweet. I cannot run anything above iOS 3.0 on my phone, I got a first gen.

Yeah it's great.

The thing they haven't fixed in the App Store that bothered me the most is how it loses your place in a long list of apps after you've chosen to install one and then open the App Store again.

Thanks, man, I'll have to try it some time. limera1n did install Cydia, but my cousin told me I just wasn't using enough package sources in it.
Also, what about www.jailbreakme.com? Is that any good? It's supposed to jailbreak your iDevice by visiting the web page on it and sliding a bar. Freuifrei.x recommended that one.
EDIT: Oh I see it only supports 4.0.1. NVM.
EDIT2: nvm, tlarkin. I have the iTouch 4G with iOS 4.2.1, PwnageTool supports the 3G/GS family and iOS 3.x.x.

Use Redsnow, which the latest version can be found here. But right now it is tethered, meaning if you turn your iPod all the way off, you have to hook it up to your computer to turn it back on. For me, its ok, because I just don't turn it off/let it die. But if you want to do it, message me/ start a thread, because I don't want to take this thread off topic.

Oh, and soon there will be a untethered jailbreak meaning that you won't have to worry about turning it off.

lucasbytegenius

Yeah it's great.

Use Redsnow, which the latest version can be found here. But right now it is tethered, meaning if you turn your iPod all the way off, you have to hook it up to your computer to turn it back on. For me, its ok, because I just don't turn it off/let it die. But if you want to do it, message me/ start a thread, because I don't want to take this thread off topic.

Oh, and soon there will be a untethered jailbreak meaning that you won't have to worry about turning it off.
Ok, thanks man. Do you know when the untethered version will come out?

bkribbs

Ok, thanks man. Do you know when the untethered version will come out?

When they are ready. There is no date, but it should be soon, as they are releasing betas, at least for your device. I won't get it until the final, but it will be within the next couple of weeks I would think.