The Hate On Apple Thread

Dramen

tremmor said:
Other reason for not owning one its not the standard in industry.

Apart from being unaffordable this is the other main reason why I don't use a mac. There isn't one to be seen at my school either so it makes more sense to use a PC.

bkribbs

^ Already said this, but that is basically all my school uses, so it makes the most sense for us to. Although I don't have an actual mac.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Inefficient- Not achieving maximum productivity; wasting or failing to make the best use of time or resources.

Inefficient does not mean inferior, it means that he works/plays/whatever less efficiently on a mac than on a PC. It's ineifficient to me too. It might be inefficiant becasue I'm a bonehead, it doesn't mater, it's tell inefficient, meaning that I can achive maximum productivity on a PC. That means that a mac would be inefficient for me.

If something is inefficient it is also inferior, because you are getting less efficiency. Like I said, earlier, a more appropriate word would be perhaps not practical. If they cannot use a Mac as efficient that is not a problem of the Mac, but a limitation of your ability to use it. I am extremely more productive on my Macs than I am my PCs, and it is mainly just due to basic GUI features like Exposé and Spaces. Which allows me to run 4 desktops at once, each desktop with it's own assigned applications and a nice eye-candy Window manager that allows me to easily switch between apps. I come from a PC background and over time learned how to use Macs to their fullest potential, they are hardly inefficient.

At best, the inefficiency is a limitation of the user, not the system.

Sorry yall about making this thread. I wanted to see what people thought about the comparison, not start a civil war among CF. I tend to be devil's advocate, and I like to debate, I could be a good polititian.

I think the reason for this forum, along with solving computer problems, is discussing/debating things. I knew my rant would be contriversial becuase I was in an apple hating mood that day. I hoped in would invoke a good discussion, one that I could learn from myself. I don't think I need to be called stupid closedminded, call me confused or misinformed.

Your rant wasn't backed by any factual data, and I am going to assume you barely even know how to use a Mac. Let alone understand the inner workings of one. So, how can you even make a debate or an informed guess on why Apple sucks if you don't understand the basics of what they are?

Apart from being unaffordable this is the other main reason why I don't use a mac. There isn't one to be seen at my school either so it makes more sense to use a PC.

If you look at the overall total cost of ownership they are actually cheaper. Their software licensing is cheaper. Snow Leopard was a $29 upgrade, where as Windows 7 was what, at cheapest $150 (comparing feature to feature)? Their hardware run software more efficiently for a longer periods of time. They are more secure (ie no viruses in the wild). They have a way higher resell value, so when you go to cycle out your machine it is worth more than any other PC out there. Where as with a PC, with in 6 months it will be worth a fraction of what you paid for it, especially if you bought cheap. Where as a 1 year old Mac can sell for up to 80% of what it was worth a year previous.

So, it may not be practical for you to go out and buy one, but when looking at the demographics on paper, you can make a pretty good argument they are worth it.

dave1701

Your rant wasn't backed by any factual data, and I am going to assume you barely even know how to use a Mac. Let alone understand the inner workings of one. So, how can you even make a debate or an informed guess on why Apple sucks if you don't understand the basics of what they are?

What does it matter to you? If you really want to convert me to an apple user you would nicely show me why you think apple products are superior. How about being humble, about your knowlage about computers instead of insulting my opinions because I am less knolageable about computers than you.

tlarkin

VIP Member
What does it matter to you? If you really want to convert me to an apple user you would nicely show me why you think apple products are superior. How about being humble, about your knowlage about computers instead of insulting my opinions because I am less knolageable about computers than you.

I do not work for Apple, nor do I own stock in them. I could care less what you use, as I think it is a personal choice. I am simply pointing out that if you want to hate on Apple that is fine, since it is an opinion. However, when you want to debate pros and cons, you need to know your facts. That is all I am saying and have ever said. I never once made any personal attacks, just pointing out that if you want to make such claims you need to back it up.

I am willing to share any of my knowledge, what do you want to know? All you have to do is ask.

tlarkin

VIP Member
iPhone alarm problems persist into the workweek
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/mobile/01/03/iphone.alarm/index.html

Y2K called, they want their glitch back :D

Y2k Never affected Macs....only computers that ran via a BIOS, and wasn't really a big deal. The media just made a big deal out of it.

The problem only happens with alarms set to run once, where as my iPhone, which is also my alarm worked just fine after the new year. However my alarm is a recurring alarm, set to go off every day.

The article doesn't even explain anything, just cites some people complaining on Twitter. That is good investigating there Lou.

/Simpsons Reference

speedyink

VIP Member
Y2k Never affected Macs....only computers that ran via a BIOS, and wasn't really a big deal. The media just made a big deal out of it.

Did it affect any computer?

The problem only happens with alarms set to run once, where as my iPhone, which is also my alarm worked just fine after the new year. However my alarm is a recurring alarm, set to go off every day.

While you weren't affected it did affect people I know. One of my friends got suspended from his job at the Bus depot because it didn't wake him (not steady hours = no reoccurring alarms)

While this by no means affects me, I do question why they can't get their act together with this ridiculous bug. This is the second time something like this has happened.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Did it affect any computer?

Not really that I know of. I think maybe some small exceptions of people/businesses that hadn't upgraded their computers in over 8+ years. So that number was probably very small.

While you weren't affected it did affect people I know. One of my friends got suspended from his job at the Bus depot because it didn't wake him (not steady hours = no reoccurring alarms)

While this by no means affects me, I do question why they can't get their act together with this ridiculous bug. This is the second time something like this has happened.

I agree and Apple is making some shifts in their company. First they discontinue their server line (which I thought was a bad move), then with 10.7 they are introducing an app store much like for the iOS devices. Which seems like a cheese move to me, and from an enterprise standpoint an issue. In fact, there are tons of things Apple does I just don't get, and most of it has to do with enterprise level stuff, because that is what I do.

They are expanding too, as I have had a job interview with them recently. They are expanding in all department and iOS and OS X are getting larger, while other things are getting scaled down. At least that is the perception I got when I interviewed with Apple. So I could be totally wrong.

It is clear that Apple wants to concentrate on consumer products and they want to get their product out the door and into the hands of people, and it is working. Every day tons of iOS devices and Mac laptops/desktops walk out of Apple stores and retailers everywhere. I think that they may be losing some focus on quality control. The iPhone 4 has had it's share of bugs for sure, but it is also 1st generation 4G, and 1st generation their new processor and hardware. So I expect some bugs to happen in 1st gen, however I also hold Apple up to their standards of quality control.

The bug is ridiculous, you are right. However, if I even pried into any other platform be it computers or smart phones I would also find bugs, but the impact would be smaller because the iPhone has a pretty decent and large market share. That is not an excuse for Apple, but simply a point of everything has bugs in it for various reasons. Some reasons are pretty legit. Think about developing the beta software and test hardware in a lab as best you can, and then releasing it on a nation-wide network. There are going to be things you could not account for in your lab environment. That is just how it is.

I feel overall the iPhone 4 was maybe rushed and lacks the quality control Apple usually has. Now it is up to Apple to address the issue and fix it.

patrickv

What does it matter to you? If you really want to convert me to an apple user you would nicely show me why you think apple products are superior.
Tlarkin is not converting anyone, he is just giving you people reasonable answers.

How about being humble, about your knowlage about computers instead of insulting my opinions because I am less knolageable about computers than you.
The only reason things end up as they are is because people on here are not mature. If it's an apple thread, they start bashing. You can check the very first page of this thread...

Originally Posted by dave1701 View Post
Hi, I just wanted to rant about my distaste of apple products. Take their computers, say an "imac", one could buy 6 good PCs for that. These things are pushing $2000. They're not worth $2000. Their not worth nearly that much

One of the reason Jnskyliner said
thread locked in 3... 2...
:cool:

Last edited:

speedyink

VIP Member
Not really that I know of. I think maybe some small exceptions of people/businesses that hadn't upgraded their computers in over 8+ years. So that number was probably very small.

Our 94 IBM on 3.1 wasn't affected..no one we heard of actually was affected, it was a big flop as for as I could tell.

It is clear that Apple wants to concentrate on consumer products and they want to get their product out the door and into the hands of people, and it is working. Every day tons of iOS devices and Mac laptops/desktops walk out of Apple stores and retailers everywhere. I think that they may be losing some focus on quality control. The iPhone 4 has had it's share of bugs for sure, but it is also 1st generation 4G, and 1st generation their new processor and hardware. So I expect some bugs to happen in 1st gen, however I also hold Apple up to their standards of quality control.

The bug is ridiculous, you are right. However, if I even pried into any other platform be it computers or smart phones I would also find bugs, but the impact would be smaller because the iPhone has a pretty decent and large market share. That is not an excuse for Apple, but simply a point of everything has bugs in it for various reasons. Some reasons are pretty legit. Think about developing the beta software and test hardware in a lab as best you can, and then releasing it on a nation-wide network. There are going to be things you could not account for in your lab environment. That is just how it is.

I feel overall the iPhone 4 was maybe rushed and lacks the quality control Apple usually has. Now it is up to Apple to address the issue and fix it.

The bug isn't iPhone 4 exclusive, my friend has a 3gs. Though you are right, bugs exist in ever phone os. I'm running a beta version of Gingerbread on my HTC phone right now, so I know that they are there. What surprises me is the amount of bugs I encouter in my itouch 4g...granted i'm not at the latest OS (4.1 atm), but still it feels like a beta build sometimes. The one consistant bug I have is large apps just wont download, or take extremely long to finish (Days). I'm gonna update it now to see if it helps actually.

Edit: Wow, they sure got you by the balls... In order to update to the latest firmware I need to upgrade my itunes as well (from 10.0.1 to 10.1.1) :rolleyes:

Edit edit: ACK! After all that since this wasn't the first computer i hooked it up to I cant back my apps up onto it..grrr, now to do the whole process again on my other computer. I love itunes..

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Yeah the iTunes thing is annoying, and so is the Quick Time dependency on some things, however those updates are so you have the latest version of the App store really over anything else I assume.

I have a blackberry for work, and it locks on the lock screen all the time, and pressing the key combo to unlock it simply does not work and I have to cycle the power on it. This happens about once a week and is annoying. The apps for the blackberry suck. The interface is so-so, however for what I use it for it does get the job done. I use it for work email and work phone calls and nothing else. I do not want to use my personal phone for work, so I separate the two.

speedyink

VIP Member
Yeah the iTunes thing is annoying, and so is the Quick Time dependency on some things, however those updates are so you have the latest version of the App store really over anything else I assume.

I have a blackberry for work, and it locks on the lock screen all the time, and pressing the key combo to unlock it simply does not work and I have to cycle the power on it. This happens about once a week and is annoying. The apps for the blackberry suck. The interface is so-so, however for what I use it for it does get the job done. I use it for work email and work phone calls and nothing else. I do not want to use my personal phone for work, so I separate the two.

Yeah, I hate the dependency. I've also somehow lost all of my free space on the touch to the "other" portion which now takes up 1.67gb (?) God, If I could do this manually it would be so much easier...it wont back up my only paid game..I sure hope I can download it again without paying for it again :mad:

I could have told you blackberry's suck. I will never own one..I can't stand pretty much everything about the way they work.

Edit: it seems to have fixed itself. Alright, now to download a large app..

Last edited:

Mattu

To me, Apple seems like one of those over priced products that people are trying to make a fashion statement out of these days like Coach purses, North Face jackets, etc., so they feel like they "fit in" by owning an Apple product.

tlarkin

VIP Member
To me, Apple seems like one of those over priced products that people are trying to make a fashion statement out of these days like Coach purses, North Face jackets, etc., so they feel like they "fit in" by owning an Apple product.

That is just another assertion with zero facts and skewed views. OS X runs Unix, many people use them because they like Unix and hate windows.

Many people use them because they have iPods and iPhones and want it all to just simply work together. Some people like the idea of using a Mac. Some people like the OS better.

To be honest the fact that Macs look nice is just the icing on the cake. I can say the same thing about people who game. They spend copious amounts of money on unneeded hardware (over clocking, liquid cooling, RAID arrays) and it really only gives them benchmark bragging rights. They also do it, to be cool.

Maybe some people just do what they want regardless of whatever it is you think they are doing it for.

Mattu

They also do it, to be cool.

Yeah I guess I was only thinking about the snobs who have an iPhone or MacBook and think they rule. I also understand that the build quality of an Apple is on average superior to that of a PC and Unix is in some respects faster/more secure than Microsoft's NT based OSes...:good: but I just can't see doping that much $$ into a computer.

patrickv

OS X runs Unix, many people use them because they like Unix and hate windows.

Many people use them because they have iPods and iPhones and want it all to just simply work together. Some people like the idea of using a Mac. Some people like the OS better.

To be honest the fact that Macs look nice is just the icing on the cake. I can say the same thing about people who game. They spend copious amounts of money on unneeded hardware (over clocking, liquid cooling, RAID arrays) and it really only gives them benchmark bragging rights. They also do it, to be cool.

Maybe some people just do what they want regardless of whatever it is you think they are doing it for.

That my friend, should be a sticky !!! :good:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Yeah I guess I was only thinking about the snobs who have an iPhone or MacBook and think they rule. I also understand that the build quality of an Apple is on average superior to that of a PC and Unix is in some respects faster/more secure than Microsoft's NT based OSes...:good: but I just can't see doping that much $$ into a computer.

Unix is superior than NT based OSes, that is a fact which can be proven on paper. However, some people do not prefer to use Unix based OSes because of those reasons that make it superior.

lucasbytegenius

The bug isn't iPhone 4 exclusive, my friend has a 3gs. Though you are right, bugs exist in ever phone os. I'm running a beta version of Gingerbread on my HTC phone right now, so I know that they are there. What surprises me is the amount of bugs I encouter in my itouch 4g...granted i'm not at the latest OS (4.1 atm), but still it feels like a beta build sometimes. The one consistant bug I have is large apps just wont download, or take extremely long to finish (Days). I'm gonna update it now to see if it helps actually.

I think I have the same bug on my iTouch 4G, however I didn't just wait for the download to finish over days and days I simply powered the thing off by holding the sleep button after waiting a half hour for an app to download. On reboot there was my app, all downloaded and ready to use.
I haven't encountered that bug yet since I updated to iOS 4.2.1, however, so maybe it was just a 4.1 bug.
I find I disagree with you about the iOS feeling like a beta build, I've had no other trouble with it besides that bug. The only thing that annoys me is Safari's lack of a download manager, and iTunes' crap. What ever happened to the days when you could just plug in your device to a USB port and browse the files? Why must we cook our CPUs just to sync our iPods? Maybe I'm out of it, as up till I got my iTouch I had been using a 7 year old Dell Axim X30 running buggy WM2003, but at least that thing had download capabilities in Opera Mini and I could browse the files on the device with a file manager I chose and change things myself to make it appear not as buggy. Now whenever there's a bug on my iTouch I have to wait for the next firmware release, which may or may not fix it, while a quick Google search would fix my Axim.
/rant
Other than that, I have no problems with it :D