The Hate On Apple Thread

dave1701

Hi, I just wanted to rant about my distaste of apple products. Take their computers, say an "imac", one could buy 6 good PCs for that. These things are pushing $2000. They're not worth $2000. Their not worth nearly that much. Plus, you can't nearly as easily upgrade or addon to apple computers. All their products are horribly overpriced; Ipods to Imacs. Their operating system is crap, and you can't overclock them. The other thing I really dislike the Over-Glorification of Apple products. What's so great about Ipods? You can get a MP3 player that is just as good for half their prices. Is wasting money on overpriced electronics cool?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Ya know what? I stumbled upon a great website one day that showed how overpriced they are. Too bad I can't find it now.

Justin

VIP Member
most of us probably already know those facts you stated. it's been discussed numerous times before.

thread locked in 3... 2...

speedyink

VIP Member
Posting this on my new iPod touch. I agree with some points, but they aren't that over priced. iPods, yes. I bought the new iPod nano and I feel ripped off. This iPod touch was free so that made up for it. I dunno, my main beef with apple is their phones. Yeah, this thing is pretty snazzy, but damn I'd hate to rely on this thing daily for communicating. Crappy unreplaceable virtual keyboard, apple id required for everything, apple screening all the apps, which would be ok if they had consistent policies but they are far from that.

lucasbytegenius

Hi, I just wanted to rant about my distaste of apple products. Take their computers, say an "imac", one could buy 6 good PCs for that. These things are pushing $2000. They're not worth $2000. Their not worth nearly that much. Plus, you can't nearly as easily upgrade or addon to apple computers. All their products are horribly overpriced; Ipods to Imacs. Their operating system is crap, and you can't overclock them. The other thing I really dislike the Over-Glorification of Apple products. What's so great about Ipods? You can get a MP3 player that is just as good for half their prices. Is wasting money on overpriced electronics cool?

I find that Apple puts a lot of thought into their products, from the instant you hit the power button to how the desktop behaves. There is just this polished feel to Apple products that most other competitors can't beat. Maybe you aren't all for visuals, but Windows 7 is still using the same icons that were used in Windows NT and Windows 95. OS X had an icon change. Then there's the hardware: How do you know that Apple doesn't overclock the hardware themselves? Plus they test everything, for instance one friend of mine who used to work there told me that while others would test one stick of RAM in a box, Apple extensively tests each and every one. Their stuff is expensive for a reason.

Jet

VIP Member

You could say they are overpriced.

You can say the iMac is overpriced--if you don't consider the 27" version. The cost of the 27" IPS screen is a huge portion of the computer. Add that cost into your calculations, and you'll arrive at a much more even number.

Mac Pro: Not overpriced if you compare against other competitor's workstation pcs. Overpriced compared to a computer you built yourself? Of course!

Mac Mini: I'd consider it overpriced. But, I don't have the need for a really tiny computer--it uses laptop parts, so it's going to be more expensive than comparable desktop alternatives.

Macbook: Yep. Probably.

Macbook Pro: Purely spec wise, overpriced. However, they have a build quality and seamless integration that other company's laptops have never achieved. Add in long battery life, and you have what a lot of people want.

bomberboysk

I'm not really in favor of mac or PC, i try to be as objective as possible. My thoughts:

The Led Backlit IPS display in the 21.5" isn't exactly cheap either. Also honestly you can't really compare an all in one to a custom built desktop...plus the quality of the imacs aluminum casing is really hard to beat.

Mac Mini: Closed hardware system, it definately has its uses, but it does cost more than comparable bookshelf systems.

Macbook Pro: Cost wise, perhaps a bit overpriced. Quality wise...you do get what you pay for, especially the quality of the enclosure and the r&d that goes into apple's products.

Macbook: IMO, overpriced, but a great system.

The biggest point in favor of Apple's products (IMO) is how everything is easy and simple to use, and just works for the end user. Most people don't want to spend time trying to figure out why something isn't working, while for the most part with apple products you have a secure, stable platform. Not to mention service life of their products, the operating system is not very resource heavy. Take a 5 year old imac running leopard, and a 5 year old desktop running windows 7, and the imac would clearly be the quicker one.

Last edited:

Ethan3.14159

No. Just no.

Drenlin

plus the quality of the imacs aluminum casing is really hard to beat.
Macs have good quality, no argument there, but I get kind of annoyed when people go on about the aluminum frames on them. Aluminum is a soft metal...not any better than the various polycarbonates or magnesium alloys used in other mid-high level laptops. The lid is flimsy as hell for a $1000+ laptop.

It sure does look purdy, though.

Last edited:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
i do really like apple products,They look nice...feel good to use etc but because of their prices i refuse to buy anything from them...i mean the prices are just stupid..

iPAD £429,
Iphone £419
imac £999
mac pro £1999 :O

The only decently priced goods stuff from them really are the Ipod shuffle,and Apple TV.

But its because people will keep on paying over the top prices that apple will continue to sell their stuff at such high prices or even worse put them up.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Pretty much sums up most apple owners.
header.png

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

end.png

1337dingo

i do really like apple products,They look nice...feel good to use etc but because of their prices i refuse to buy anything from them...i mean the prices are just stupid..

iPAD £429,
Iphone £419
imac £999
mac pro £1999 :O

The only decently priced goods stuff from them really are the Ipod shuffle,and Apple TV.

But its because people will keep on paying over the top prices that apple will continue to sell their stuff at such high prices or even worse put them up.

holy smoke thats almost $3000 AU :O