The Macintosh Platform.

Fritzjavel

okay i'm not a fanboy of windows, but I enjoy windows Way more, because whenever i have a problem I don't need to run to Apple fro help, i can open my system check whats wrong, test a few things, make my conclusion, and go purchase what ever it is i need... DONE.. I herd that apple was this great customer support, but I don't always want customer support..

My other grief is that i use the MacBook Pro at school, and while it's not bad, i notice alot of lag on the computer, like moving a window around the screen, the window never keeps up with the mouse, and that small annoyance bother me, or how unsmooth some action are, while windows does once in a while minimize or maximize a window terrible, overall i just prefers windows..

I do like the fact that apple makes connecting things wireless super easy, like making a server, and connecting a printer...

My final statement is could you compare iLife to Windows Media Center?... because i personally see more advantage in WMC, buy i may be wrong...

Geoff

VIP Member
I've actually had a MacBook for the past month that was given to me from my work, and at first I didn't care for it too much, I was planning on using Boot Camp and run XP. But after using it for a week or two, I've really begun to like the Mac OS, it has so many features that Windows doesn't offer, and not having the Start button is not a big deal anymore, as it used to be for me.

tlarkin

VIP Member
okay i'm not a fanboy of windows, but I enjoy windows Way more, because whenever i have a problem I don't need to run to Apple fro help, i can open my system check whats wrong, test a few things, make my conclusion, and go purchase what ever it is i need... DONE.. I herd that apple was this great customer support, but I don't always want customer support..

My other grief is that i use the MacBook Pro at school, and while it's not bad, i notice alot of lag on the computer, like moving a window around the screen, the window never keeps up with the mouse, and that small annoyance bother me, or how unsmooth some action are, while windows does once in a while minimize or maximize a window terrible, overall i just prefers windows..

I do like the fact that apple makes connecting things wireless super easy, like making a server, and connecting a printer...

My final statement is could you compare iLife to Windows Media Center?... because i personally see more advantage in WMC, buy i may be wrong...

You just need to learn the platform. No OS is bullet proof, and I can troubleshoot almost any issue you have with OS X, because I know it and work with it every day by trade. It is different and it is a learning curve, you have to learn new things.

Ask any question or concern and I will try to my best ability answer it, and you can maybe learn the differences and then make a decision on your own with out my knowledge on your own experiences and knowledge.

tlarkin

VIP Member
No i mean their software called Fron Row i think compared to Windows Media Center

Oh front row is just like a interface the puts it all together. With your media remote you can control itunes, iphoto, and the dvd player. It has a full screen 3D interface so you can see what you are doing across the room.

I wouldn't say it really compares because Apple ended up making the Apple TV, and that is more like their media center.

However, I use VLC anyway on all my machines. If I were to want a HTPC, I would build one and probably use Myth TV, but that is just me.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Very detailed thread, Nice one!

Shame about the tags left, can they be deleted?

Yeah they can be deleted and a Mod does it, then someone comes back and adds them. I got a kick out the newest one. The kid can't spell "whipped," instead it reads wipped, which isn't even a word.

tlarkin

VIP Member
yeah, just by looking at em i can actually pin point the ones who did it. dunno why tags was created in the first place :cool:

I am guessing it is part of a CMS to allow for more robust data base application, ie easier to search for things.

tacojohn44

tlarkin... nice thread. This is actually exactly what I was looking for when I first came to the site. Seeing as I'm thinking about buying the 2.66GHz iMac I wanted to see straight facts on apple computers. Most of my family have macs, so I really like the OS. But I kinda wanted something for a little gaming, then the intel chips came out. So I was wondering if you have ever used bootcamp for gaming? The graphics card that is in the iMac that I am looking at is the ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory.

I do have another question for you about the iMac screens. I have seen a lot of the discontinued screens of the intel macs have vertical lines on them. But I think that was just a factory mess up. So I was wondering if you have heard anything about the new iMac screens.
Here's a good site explaining what I'm was talking about.

http://imaclines.blogspot.com/

Also is there any way to use the iMac screen for anything else say as a television monitor, game console monitor, etc. I'm pretty sure it has a video out so you can do monitor mirroring on something else. (I dont have cable so I watch TV shows from NBC and such on the computer which I then hook to a TV through a S-Video cord.)

But those are my only main concerns about buying the mac. Bootcamp runnign well, and the screen.

If you have any info, I would greatly appriciate it!

-Tacojohn

tlarkin

VIP Member
running windows is running windows, it is the same on a PC, they use the same architecture. As for the monitor question, I haven't seen that happen and I have several hundred iMacs at my work. That problem you linked is likely due to hardware failure of the video card, which can happen.

For video input you would probably have to get some sort of firewire video input device, and they do have things like Myth TV and eyeTV that work on Macs.

For gaming it will run just like windows in boot camp, but that video card probably won't run the newest games on the highest settings very well.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Migrating our Tiger servers to Leopard as we speak. Been interesting and surprisingly not too difficult of a task. Only a few minor things broke during the Migration, which is something that I am not too used to really to be honest. Typically, you expect all kinds of things to break.

tlarkin

VIP Member
It looks like 10.6 will be called Snow Leopard. It will be a mild upgrade from 10.5, hence the name is of the same cat. It will also drop PPC support from the OS and make the OS install about half the size. Since Apple will no longer be supporting PPC machines with their OS, the OS size should be cut in half nearly. This means that my 6gig base install of OS 10.5 will most likely be around 3gigs for a basic install of the OS now. That will take away some of the bloat and should hopefully streamline some of the performances.

We just migrated our servers to 10.5, and they have netboot imaging now native, which is nice considering how expensive Ghost and other solutions are. I will be testing out how that works in a few weeks when I reimage 5500 macbooks.