The Macintosh Platform.

concorde

I hope Microsoft gets rid of their kernel for Windows and adopts Unix.

ITS A UNIX WORLD
WHEN WILL MICROSOFT GET THAT ???

concorde

I hope Microsoft gets rid of their kernel for Windows and adopts Unix.

ITS A UNIX WORLD
WHEN WILL MICROSOFT GET THAT ???

They never will though...it will take for the world to gradually stop using Windows and letting a LOT of Windows copies sit on the shelf to do nothing but collect dust for them to show the MS kernel the door.

Unix opens doors to using the same OS on different platforms
Unix is adaptable
Unix is secure
Unix is stable
Unix has the most years of experience under its belt, it's grown to be better
Unix is being slowly but surely adapted
Unix is designed well - for example, NO REGISTRY! NO DIRECT ACCESS TO THE CORES THRU COMMAND LINE W/O PASSWORD(S) Who came up with that idea?

*The same for Linux too! All POSIX systems!

tlarkin

VIP Member
Microsoft can't buy Unix, no one can it is published under the BSD (Berkley Software Division) license, which makes it open source.

MS has already purchased Linux technologies from Novell, since Novell purchased SuSe Linux. Obviously, they have something in mind and already own properties with some Linux based technology.

Also, the windows kernel is based on POSIX and off the Unix kernel. It always has been, it is just Windows has opened the kernel up and got rid of the shell which is why it is not as secure.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Well I am just migrating all of this stuff to my website. It is under construction and I need to "pretty it up" a bit more. Been teaching myself php, html, css, and cms.

So I am learning. I should have a lot of things on my site about managing and maintaining Macs, as well as some Windows and Linux stuff when i get around to it.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Well I am just migrating all of this stuff to my website. It is under construction and I need to "pretty it up" a bit more. Been teaching myself php, html, css, and cms.

So I am learning. I should have a lot of things on my site about managing and maintaining Macs, as well as some Windows and Linux stuff when i get around to it.

Awesome. Keep us updated. Are going to blog and write weekly articles and what not?

tlarkin

VIP Member
Awesome. Keep us updated. Are going to blog and write weekly articles and what not?

No, more like when I have time. My site is up and running it just isn't complete yet, and I am going to change some things around

go ahead and check it out if you want

http://www.tlarkin.com

There is some content on there but not a whole lot at the moment.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Looks good, so far. Interesting what your boss did with the Mac Mini. Clever idea. :D

Yup he just had finished doing that when I was walking through the shop area and he was showing it off so I snapped a pic of it with my blackberry and told him I was tossing it up on my blog.

so it goes

tlarkin

VIP Member
I started making videos on how to manage macs in enterprise environments....

Going to revamp my website here soon as well.

Looking for some screen capture products

tlarkin

VIP Member
I am going to add yet another testimonial to why the Mac is the way it is by it's business model and my example will be my PC.

Three days ago my main hard drive in my PC died. The BIOS would not recognize it at all. My second hard drive was filled with data, and I did not want to wipe it, even though it was backed up. So, I went on down to the local computer store and picked up a 1TB Samsung HD w/ 32MB of cache for only $80! I thought that was insane...

So I popped in the HD and reloaded Vista Ultimate. I then had to go through the plethora of Windows updates and driver updates. Out of the box with Vista my PC has a lot of issues. The first and most annoying issues is that if it goes to sleep I can't wake it, with out the updated drivers from Asus for the advanced power management controller of my motherboard. Out of the box, this happens with Vista. Next is that my NIC has all sorts of performance issues with the stock driver in Vista as well. So I either gotta download that on another computer and copy it via thumb drive, or use the crappy performance and download it over the Internet, if I can. Next, and this one stumped me for about 5 full minutes, after I rebooted my PC it still said system boot disk not found replace and hit enter. After I had just replaced the HD, installed Vista on it and ran all the updates, I was like WTF is this crap?

So, I went into my BIOS and sure enough the new drive was recognized just fine, but after drilling through all the BIOS menus I saw that since my old HD had died and no longer was recognized it (my BIOS that is) automatically promoted my data drive as the first boot drive in the HD boot order. Well, I don't know who thought of this feature to put it in the BIOS but it is not like people run multiple OSes off of multiple drives and want zero down time with it....I guess if you are like running a RAID 1 that would be advantageous but I had all RAID stuff disabled.

Now compare that to when I swap out a failed HD on my Mac. I install the HD, install the OS, restore back ups and run updates. It just works. I don't deal with drivers or any other third party annoyance that can cause problems.

While my problems were not major problems but more of annoyances, I typically don't have those issues with the Mac platform.

bomberboysk

Just a note, i was looking for this thread awhile back and couldnt find it. Your thread just earned itself a place in my bookmarks;)

tlarkin

VIP Member
Just a note, i was looking for this thread awhile back and couldnt find it. Your thread just earned itself a place in my bookmarks;)

due to the newest mac vs pc threads I resurrected it. Maybe this will shed some light on people's views