Thinking about picking up this video card

Fatback

VIP Member
The 4870 is just as good as the GTX 260 which is around $150 for the lowest priced one. There really is nothing better then the 4870 for the price the 4850 is a great card I have one and the only game have I have played that I can't max out is Flight Simulator X but that's it I haven't had a problem with Fear 2, Fuel , Call of Juarez, Moto GP 08,2,3, or hawk so the 4850 is a really nice card for the price and It would be a much better Idea to get a 4850 then a opened box 4870 I have bought a pretty good bit of opened box item from newegg and always end up sending 85% of them back.

bomberboysk

What PSU are you running? Your the one who was offering the $20 reward awhile back right? If you are then i think you ended up getting a 500W stablepower, and if thats the case it will run a 4870 fine. Although id do as suggested and get one of the retail's, open box have no accessories and are alot more likely to have been abused by someone trying to overclock too hard, or just a plain old defective card.

Last edited:

87dtna

Best bang for the buck is the 4870. As others have mentioned make sure your power supply is up to it, I'm not sure if 500w will do it. An Antec 500 wasn't enough for my rig, and a 4870 uses a little more power than a gts250.

Fatback

VIP Member
Best bang for the buck is the 4870. As others have mentioned make sure your power supply is up to it, I'm not sure if 500w will do it. An Antec 500 wasn't enough for my rig, and a 4870 uses a little more power than a gts250.

The 4870 is a great card and for $130 you can't beat it.

Did you ever wonder if maybe the Antec power supply you got was a bad one rather then it not being powerful enough.

87dtna

The 4870 is a great card and for $130 you can't beat it.

Did you ever wonder if maybe the Antec power supply you got was a bad one rather then it not being powerful enough.

Not at all, it's powering my intel rig now thats in my sig no problem.
The antec has two 19 amp 12v rails, it's just not a super powerful PSU.

Fatback

VIP Member
Not at all, it's powering my intel rig now thats in my sig no problem.
The antec has two 19 amp 12v rails, it's just not a super powerful PSU.

That doesn't seem right my 400w corsair powers my rig with plenty left over and my 4850 uses about the same power as your GTS 250 although you do have more RAM but your CPU uses less power. I have never had a problem with Antec power supplies and I have used them in a lot of builds. Although you could have still go a bad one that was putting out the amps it was supposed to.

87dtna

TDP on a 4850 is 110w, gts 250 is 145w. And my gts 250 is overclocked, a lot. 825 core clock and 1350 memory, stock is 756/1100.

My 550 is also overclocked to 3.8, that increased the watt usage a good bit. And 8650 may be rated at 95, but thats a joke it could be a 65w rated CPU. They don't use much at all. The phenom 9650 is the exact same thing 2.3ghz but quad core, and is the same 95w rating. It's quite impossible that they consume the same amount of power. The 8650 is overrated on it's power usage.

Last edited:

Fatback

VIP Member
TDP on a 4850 is 110w, gts 250 is 145w. And my gts 250 is overclocked, a lot. 825 core clock and 1350 memory, stock is 756/1100.

My 550 is also overclocked to 3.8, that increased the watt usage a good bit. And 8650 may be rated at 95, but thats a joke it could be a 65w rated CPU. They don't use much at all. The phenom 9650 is the exact same thing 2.3ghz but quad core, and is the same 95w rating. It's quite impossible that they consume the same amount of power. The 8650 is overrated on it's power usage.

Even with all that the Antec should power that just fine I have used 500w Antec power supplies to power system with Phenom II X4 945, GTX 260, 8GB of DDR3, 500GB HD, etc. I have built 4 system with the exact same specs for a small graphics design business and all 4 systems used this power supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371007 which only has 17A on each rail and it power all 4 system perfectly it has been almost 7 months since then and they must still be working because I have yet to get a phone call from them.

87dtna

Even with all that the Antec should power that just fine I have used 500w Antec power supplies to power system with Phenom II X4 945, GTX 260, 8GB of DDR3, 500GB HD, etc. I have built 4 system with the exact same specs for a small graphics design business and all 4 systems used this power supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371007 which only has 17A on each rail and it power all 4 system perfectly it has been almost 7 months since then and they must still be working because I have yet to get a phone call from them.

Hmm, not sure but it powers my intel rig just fine. It will power my AMD rig if I don't overclock so much, overclocking greatly increases the watt usage. A GTX260 is rated at 182w TDP, my overclocked gts250 is probably easily the same. And my cpu being 3.8ghz even dual core is probably close to or even the same as the 945 at stock speeds as well.

I didn't use the earthwatts, I have the BP500U. Perhaps that makes a difference, but it actually has 2 more amps per rail than the earthwatts. Strange.

Fatback

VIP Member
Hmm, not sure but it powers my intel rig just fine. It will power my AMD rig if I don't overclock so much, overclocking greatly increases the watt usage. A GTX260 is rated at 182w TDP, my overclocked gts250 is probably easily the same. And my cpu being 3.8ghz even dual core is probably close to or even the same as the 945 at stock speeds as well.

I didn't use the earthwatts, I have the BP500U. Perhaps that makes a difference, but it actually has 2 more amps per rail than the earthwatts. Strange.

Oh you have the BP I believe those are lesser quality then the earthwatts but I'm not sure even though it sill sounds strange.

87dtna

Oh you have the BP I believe those are lesser quality then the earthwatts but I'm not sure even though it sill sounds strange.

Yeah BP means ''Basiq''....they weren't kidding LOL. I only payed $55 for it at the local computer store, and like I said it powers my intel rig no problem. And even though you frown on HEC the $45 650w unit thats powering my AMD rig has not had any problems plus now I'm even powering a quad core at 3.8 instead of a dual which is atleast 50 more watts.

Fatback

VIP Member
Yeah BP means ''Basiq''....they weren't kidding LOL. I only payed $55 for it at the local computer store, and like I said it powers my intel rig no problem. And even though you frown on HEC the 650w thats powering my AMD rig has not had any problems plus now I'm even powering a quad core at 3.8 instead of a dual which is atleast 50 more watts.

Well when it some to off brand PSU usually there is one good one out of a couple thousand last 3 hec PSU I bought was a 550w and when I pushed the power button it blew up sparks came flying out it smoked my shop up took the HDD with it in one machine so when I think of hec PSU I think just another cheap brand.

87dtna

Well when it some to off brand PSU usually there is one good one out of a couple thousand last 3 hec PSU I bought was a 550w and when I pushed the power button it blew up sparks came flying out it smoked my shop up took the HDD with it in one machine so when I think of hec PSU I think just another cheap brand.

It really seems like all the manufacturers like to send you the bad stuff.

The HEC I bought was their new ''X-power'' line, maybe they are better now.

swensoch

I actually got a 700w power supply and gave my grandpa the 500w one I had purchased so I think I am covered. So the 4870 for 130$ is what I should go for? Newegg actually gave me 75$ towards my next order because of crap that happened in my last order so that is why I am upgrading. And I am supposed to use the 75$ this week. I like the
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102850

should i fork up 15 more$ for the 1gb?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102849

As for the open box yeah I realized that I was most likely going to have to send it back but I was prepared for that. Was thinking of picking up a cheap LCD open box from there too.

The PSU i have is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148040. It was in a deal package with a 50$ harddrive for 90$ so I got it.

Last edited:

87dtna

The wattage means nothing. I had an 800w power supply overheat on me, a cheap one from ''A-power''. It even had a 120mm fan and two 30 amp rails.

Fatback

VIP Member

That PSU is crap the only thing Apevia does good with there PSU is throw some pretty lights in them other then they are are just a big paper weight. I you won't a quality PSU that will power a 4870 the get one of these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703015

PC power and Cooling is the best PSU you can get and will power way more then any PSU out there. Other good brands are OCZ, Corsair, Antec, FSP, Seasonic, etc.