Thinking about picking up this video card

swensoch

Got the card yesterday and damn I was surprised. It was huge! Fits easily inside my case though. First card like this I have had. Been using it for just about 1 hour now. Downloading crysis. Its running at 61c even though im just surfing the web and downloading a couple thing. Is this normal?

Fatback

VIP Member
Yea the temps should start to go down after a few days once the card gets worked in a little. Go to CCC and go to ATI Overdrive and make sure that the fan is set to auto or you can set it at what ever speed you like. I keep my fan about 70% some people don't like fan noise but It doesn't bother me. Also how is the airflow in your case what kind of fans do you have in there.

swensoch

I have 5 fans placed in my case with and 4 additional smaller ones that blow on my hard drives. 2 120mm intake in the front. 1 80mm intake in the side. 1 120mm that blows out the back and a 80mm that blows out the top. My case is also a cube that has a smaller area inside than a full tower. The airflow in there is high. Everything else in my case is really cool. Just started playing crysis in enthusiast settings with an easy 25 frames ps average. Gamer was around 38-40. Bout to overclock my processor a little bit. Thanks for helping me out up until now I had a ati 9600 for 6 years and then a 4670 for 1 month and now this. Its awesome.

Wow I just tried the fan thing. It was on auto and just running at around 40% on its own. Moved it up to 70% and 30 seconds later its down to 46c. :) Any point to overclock a little? My GPU clock is at 750 and my memory is 900mhz but I can see I am able to move it up. 44c now :).

Funny thing happened though. I went to power my computer and it didnt post so I had to turn off the PSU manually. I could then hear the PSU making high pitched hissing noises that I guess are capacitors. I can now only power the psu on its own and even then the fan looks like it is spinning really slow. If it is plugged into a motherboard it will not turn on. I ran to frys and picked up a coolmax PSU. Probably not the best brand but I didnt want to spend a ton since I will hopefully be getting a replacement on my Xclio.

Last edited:

Fatback

VIP Member
I have 5 fans placed in my case with and 4 additional smaller ones that blow on my hard drives. 2 120mm intake in the front. 1 80mm intake in the side. 1 120mm that blows out the back and a 80mm that blows out the top. My case is also a cube that has a smaller area inside than a full tower. The airflow in there is high. Everything else in my case is really cool. Just started playing crysis in enthusiast settings with an easy 25 frames ps average. Gamer was around 38-40. Bout to overclock my processor a little bit. Thanks for helping me out up until now I had a ati 9600 for 6 years and then a 4670 for 1 month and now this. Its awesome.

Funny thing happened though. I went to power my computer and it didnt post so I had to turn off the PSU manually. I could then hear the PSU making high pitched hissing noises that I guess are capacitors. I can now only power the psu on its own and even then the fan looks like it is spinning really slow. If it is plugged into a motherboard it will not turn on. I ran to frys and picked up a coolmax PSU. Probably not the best brand but I didnt want to spend a ton since I will hopefully be getting a replacement on my Xclio.

Not bad for crysis personally I would turn the settings down a little and go for better FPS but that's just me.

That high pitched sound is pretty common in PSU. I think the reason the fan is spinning slow is because of the temp sensor the fan will not speed up until it gets hot. You should hook it back up and see if it will turn on then download Everest and check the voltages on the +12 rails and the 5v rail. With all those fans running like you say they are it might be sucking up to much power but that shouldn't be the case.

swensoch

im pretty sure its dead. I plugged it in to 2 other computers same thing. It will not turn on with the pci power plugged in. it is showing many signs of a failing psu.