Thinking about picking up this video card

StrangleHold

Staff member
How many watts a card can pull is based on what is powering it, regardless if its overclocked or not.

PCIe 1.0 slot will put out 75W
PCIe 2.0 slot can put out 100W
6 pin PCIe connector is 75W
8 pin PCIe connector is 150W

If the card is in a PCIe 2.0 slot with one 6 pin PCIe power connector the most it can pull is 175W overclocked or not.
In a PCIe 2.0 slot with two PCIe 6 pin connectors it can pull up to 250W.

Last edited:

Fatback

VIP Member
How many watts a card can pull is based on what is powering it, regardless if its overclocked or not.

If the card is in a PCIe 2.0 slot with one 6 pin PCIe power connector the most it can pull is 175W overclocked or not.

Who is this posted towards and what does this have to do with helping the op just curious.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Who is this posted towards and what does this have to do with helping the op just curious.

What ever slot your board has and the type of PCIe power connectors the card has can give you a good example of the most power your card can pull overclocked or not to determine what kind of power supply you need.

Fatback

VIP Member
What ever slot your board has and the type of PCIe power connectors the card has can give you a good example of the most power your card can pull overclocked or not to determine what kind of power supply you need.

Oh ok I see what your saying your just trying to help him pick a PSU.

swensoch

So my 700w PSU wont power the 4870 because it is crap? What about the 500w? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817189014

I already have both of these. I also have 2 hard drives set up in raid 0 but no CD drives or floppy drives so not too much stuff sucking up wattage.

Also can someone link me the best video card for less than 150$ on newegg. I am having a hard time deciding the brand and type. The 4870 looks good.

Last edited:

Fatback

VIP Member
That PSU will work fine with the 4870 the best 4870 to get is the XFX because that are good quality and nice cooling and you get a double life time warranty.

Fatback

VIP Member
I just did the wattage calculator on http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine and I got 369 watts for my suggested power supply and that is with the 4870. Not too worried. Last question. which of the 2 power supplies should I use the 500w or the 700w? is the 500w that much more reliable?

I wouldn't use that 700w PSU to power my iPod that how terrible those cheap things are the Xclio Stable Power is a very good PSU and I have used it a couple of times. Watts is one of the last things you look at when buying a PSU first thing you should look at is the Amps on the +12 rail(s).

swensoch

haha. That ipod comment made me laugh hard. And got the point accross. So I just got an RMA on the PSU but i had to give the 500w one to my grandpa because I built him a computer. What should I look for in my next one? i heard corsair is good. mushkin?

Fatback

VIP Member
haha. That ipod comment made me laugh hard. And got the point accross. So I just got an RMA on the PSU but i had to give the 500w one to my grandpa because I built him a computer. What should I look for in my next one? i heard corsair is good. mushkin?

I wasn't kidding about the iPod either:p The brands you should look for PC Power and Cooling, Corsair, OCZ, FSP, Seasonic, Antec, Thermaltake, Xclio, and the higher end cooler masters are pretty good what is you budget and I will help you find one. You could just get another Xclio Stablepower unless you want something different.

swensoch

I want to try something different. See whats out there. Maybe 600watts so i can add whatever I want in the future. 50-65$ seems like a decent budget.

Fatback

VIP Member
this one is $75 with $5 off with promo code EMCLWNL37 which is only $70 with free shipping that is probably going to be the cheapest 600w PSU that is good quality plus it modular which means you only plug the cables in that you need.

Here are some other ones that you can look at if you ever plan on getting another 4870 for crossfire then you might won't to consider something around a 650w corsair or a 700w OCZ.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703016

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371007

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151040

87dtna

In a PCIe 2.0 slot with two PCIe 6 pin connectors it can pull up to 250W.

PCIe 2.0 can put out 150w.....total being 225 watts max.

StrangleHold

Staff member
PCIe 2.0 can put out 150w.....total being 225 watts max.

Thats just the specifications for it. Most boards are not wired for it and only put out 100W. Some are still stuck at 75W. Thats why some cards will trip a power supply PCIe power lead, causing a restart. Not getting enough from the slot and will overload the rail the PCIe power connector is on. Even though the Supply has enough power for the card.

They go out a buy a bigger Supply, the problem is fixed they think because of the supply. When all it was is the bigger supply had a higher limit with the wattage on the 12V rail the PCIe connector it attached too.

87dtna

Yup I had that problem with my old ASRock board. PSU should have had plenty of power for a gts-250, but it was indeed that PCI-e slot that wasn't giving enough juice when I overclocked it. With the new gigabyte board, overclocking is much more stable now.
I was only setting the record straight that the ''theroretical'' max wattage for a PCI-e 2.0 with a 6 pin power connector is 225w not 175w.

swensoch

I keep hearing about how loud the 4870 is and how hot it gets. I have pretty good air flow in my case. Any ideas for a quieter cooler that may be better than the one I get on the card?

Aastii

VIP Member
I keep hearing about how loud the 4870 is and how hot it gets. I have pretty good air flow in my case. Any ideas for a quieter cooler that may be better than the one I get on the card?

you can get a passive one, but they arn't too good without decent airflow.

If as you say you do have good airflow, arctic cooling accelero s1 is what i would recomend:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186016

It will handle the heat easily, but as i say with a little airflow.

You can get fans for it but they are crap to say the least. They are cheap though (the fans i mean) so what can you expect?

You can get a 120mm fan on it if you want to keep it cooler and get something like speedfan to drop the fan speed (free program) so it is quiet like how you want it.

however, i really would say the stock hs and fan will be more than sufficient and isn't as loud as "some people" are making out

swensoch

Alright cool. I will wait and see how loud it is. Yeah I have a 80mm fan blowing right at the card from one side and then a 120mm fan blowing at it that allows air to go on both sides of the card. Then I have 2 other 120mm fans one blowing in and the other out and another 80mm taking out the top. Is it much louder than the 4670? Can I hot glue a 80mm fan or 120mm fan to that heatsink?

Last edited: