Thoughts on Vista

JLV2k5

I am building a gaming computer this summer and need some suggestions in selecting an Operating System. Some people have been saying that those wise enough should stick with simple XP until something else comes out from Windows. Is this well advised? What are the cons of doing this? Thanks

massahwahl

VIP Member
I see it this way...If you get Ultimate you have so many fewer problems. Thats my opinion, Ive had no problems with Ultimate at all. My sister on the other hand who has basic has had all sorts of problems and compatibility issues. Go with Ultimate or stick with XP.

zaroba

if you use xp you will just have to upgrade later down the road and wont be able to play any games that come out only on directx 10 (developers aren't gonna ignore dx10 forever, still a few more years before the next os comes along). vista is perfectly fine for gaming, i've used it on this pc since jan and never had problem with drivers, games, or anything else.

if you notice, you will see that nearly all those people who are saying vista is bad are people who can not seem understand that vista uses more ram then xp did and that they have to upgrade there computers ram to compensate. otherwise it will run slow, just like a new game on an old computer.

nearly everybody that has problems with vista has less then 2gb of ram, everybody with more then 2gb of ram has no trouble with vista.

Last edited:

funkysnair

VIP Member
yep-no problems with vista uses %40 of my ram when surfing net...

would suggest getting 3gig ram or atleast no lowwer than 2gig for sure

patrickv

VIsta is ok, well for some softwares, but if you want to game yeah i suggest vista.
It really depends on what you need, you know, and like Funkysnair said, 2GB will be decent.
but if i were you i will stick with XP and upgrade later, probably when price drops on vista and the SP's (sp2) are officially out

psaila

My computer came originally with XP but I have lately added 1GB of RAM, now I have 2GB and installed Vista Ultimate. It doesn't give problems. I use it to surf the internet, office apps, music, videos and games. No probs with all of these.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I see it this way...If you get Ultimate you have so many fewer problems. Thats my opinion, Ive had no problems with Ultimate at all. My sister on the other hand who has basic has had all sorts of problems and compatibility issues. Go with Ultimate or stick with XP.

This is a huge misconception. There is no physical differences in the windows kernel on any version. The differences between basic, home premium, business and ultimate are features. They lack features, otherwise there is no actual difference, so choosing to own ultimate over home premium does not make a difference. If it did, as a consumer I would be very angry and feel that I was forced to upgrade. Even though I already feel that way with vista because they feature limit to bait you into spending more money.

The few major differences between Home Premium and Ultimate are an encrypted file system support, which I advise NO ONE on this forum ever use that. The ability to connect to a Domain level network. At home do you authenticate to an AD server via LDAP directory? Most likely not, so thats also not needed. Ultimate also allows faxing, and a back up feature which is not in home premium. Otherwise they are the same exact OS.

In all honesty, DX10 really doesn't do anything at this point in time. There is a public outcry for MS to release DX10 for XP. There is also a group of developers trying to make an open source version of DX10 for XP. You can still buy a DX10 card which is top of the line and run your games on max settings in XP. The only major differences will be in benchmarks. In actual real time performances, you most likely will not notice a difference, and you will still run your games at max settings.

zaroba

There is also a group of developers trying to make an open source version of DX10 for XP

now that just sickens me. its like people are actually TRYING to stop hardware from advancing now. while they are at it, why don't they also make dx9 work for win 95 and/or windows 3.1? since they are making new stuff work without old tech.

tlarkin

VIP Member
now that just sickens me. its like people are actually TRYING to stop hardware from advancing now. while they are at it, why don't they also make dx9 work for win 95 and/or windows 3.1? since they are making new stuff work without old tech.

Well, for arguments sake, there is no underlying technology advance from vista over XP. Where as 3.1 and 9x are based off an entirely different kernel. No one is trying to stop hardware from advancing, I think you are confusing your facts. They are trying to stop the OS from forcing you to upgrade. DX 10 support could easily be ported over to XP.

cuffless

Ive been using vista since the 1st beta release (must be around october 2006). The only problems i have had is there was no drivers for my old phone (sony ericsson w800i) and no drivers for my printer. If you plan on gaming id say get vista for dx10.

tlarkin

VIP Member
the one big plus that i have heard about vista is that you can use thumbdrives as ram

This is not a big plus. Any access to a swap file or virtual memory to a usb device will be lots slower than direct access to RAM. Also, why would any OS need this feature? Can't they handle memory management well enough to not add this?

Yeah if everything was open source, I think technology would move slower... I use Linux but, other software gives me a reason to upgrade...

And, I too think that ReadyBoost is useless... The cache files on my drive got old with me very fast...

Last edited:

patrickv

If you plan on gaming id say get vista for dx10.

the one thing i see on this forum is that mostly everyone with vista is just for games.
so that is why you say "it works"
don't you use any other software, for work or anything similar ?

typical example :
corel draw Essentials 3 doesn't work, and that puts me at bay from using vista

cuffless

the one thing i see on this forum is that mostly everyone with vista is just for games.

typical example :

I personally dont use my pc for games as my graphics card cant handle any decent ones at good settings. If i was going to get into pc gaming i would get a dx10 card. If i had a dx10 card i would want to utilise dx10 which vista does. I havent had any compatiblity issues with programs. I mainly use my pc for music, internet, photo editing (adobe photoshop) and movies.

typical example :

Ha! Corel? Is that a joke? Get some Adobe...

patrickv

II havent had any compatiblity issues with programs

OMG
you are so not on planet earth.
you probably think "vista works" right ?
think again.
there's a lot of programs that won't work on vista and that in my view is plain wrong, very wrong idea by MS :(

cuffless

OMG
you are so not on planet earth.
you probably think "vista works" right ?
think again.
there's a lot of programs that won't work on vista and that in my view is plain wrong, very wrong idea by MS :(

What are you on about? I never said vista is perfect. I said I have had no problems with programs. I never said that no one else has never had problems either. You shoud re read what people type before you criticize them.