Three Video Cards

JLV2k5

I've seen some motherboards with 3 PCIe slots. Usually the third isn't up to the same amount of channels(speed) as the other two. Are there motherboards that can handle triple SLI with all three cards running with the max amount of channels? Thanks for the help.

newguy5

i think two slots could be for an sli setup and the other for a separate monitor perhaps. as far as i know there is no such thing as triple sli yet, and that's the only way you would be able to do what you are talking about.

JLV2k5

i think two slots could be for an sli setup and the other for a separate monitor perhaps. as far as i know there is no such thing as triple sli yet, and that's the only way you would be able to do what you are talking about.

No. There is.

ghost

Think this one can...

Asus Striker II Formula nForce 780i (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

The market leading motherboard manufacturer Asus announces the first high performance boards to encompass the new Nvidia nForce 7 series chipset. The Striker II Formula hits the ground running with the top-of-the-range, blisteringly fast nForce 780i chipset, supporting all current generation Intel processors and the forthcoming 45nm "penryn" cores. If that wasn't enough this board supports three-way SLi, which means that you can run three identical Nvidia graphics cards in full PCI-Express x16 glory. The Striker II Formula is a feature packed monster.

- LGA775 socket for Intel® Core™2 Extreme / Core™2 Quad / Core™2 Duo / Pentium® Extreme / Pentium® D / Pentium® 4 / Celeron Processors
- Support Intel® next generation 45nm Multi-Core CPU
- NVIDIA nForce® 780i SLI™
- 1600(O.C.) / 1333 / 1066 / 800 / 533 MHz Dual channel memory architecture
- 2 x PCIe2.0 x16 slot, support NVIDIA® SLI™ technology, at full x16, x16 speed(blue)
- Support NVIDIA 3-way SLI graphics cards (triple at x16 mode)
- 1 x PCIe x 16 slot, at x16 speed(middle)
- 2 x PCIe x1
- 2 x PCI 2.2
- 6 x Serial ATA 3.0Gb/s with NVIDIA MediaShield™ RAID supports RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5 and JBOD span cross Serial ATA drives
- Dual Gigabit LAN, both featuring AI NET2 Support Teaming Technology
- SupremeFX II Audio Card with ADI 1988B 8-channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Noise Filter
- Coaxial, Optical S/PDIF out at back I/O
- 2 x 1394a ports(1 port at back I/O, 1 port onboard)
- 10 USB 2.0 ports(4 ports at mid-board, 6 ports at back panel)
- Extreme Tweaker
- 2-Phase DDR2
- ROG BIOS Screen
- Loadline Calibration
- CPU Level Up
- ASUS EPU (Energy Processing Unit)
- AI Gear 3™
- AI Overclocking (intelligent CPU frequency tuner)
- ASUS AI Booster Utility
- O.C Profile
- COP EX (Component Overheat Protection - EX)
- Voltiminder LED
- ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)
- LCD Poster
- Onboard Switches: Power / Reset / Cls CMOS (at rear)
- ASUS Q-Connector
- ASUS Q-Fan 2
- ASUS EZ Flash 2
- ASUS CrashFree BIOS 2
- ASUS MyLogo3

Just expect to only get ~70% performance increase... Don't expect to really get 3x performance of a single GPU...

I wonder if you could run 3x of the 9800GX2's coming out... I might put 2 of those in SLI...

JLV2k5

then why did you post asking the question :confused:

If you read my thread clearly you would have seen the reason for my question.

Thank you The Beast, for understanding.

Thanks for the info INTELCRAZY. I didn't think you could run the three in SLI all at max but i have seen peoples system specs and some have 3x 8800 Ultras and things like that so i knew it was possible. Thanks

JLV2k5

Yeah the answer to my question is this. You can have two cards running in SLI, both using 16 channels and at max. Cool. But the most I have seen for three is 16 16 and the third would utilize 8, so it would be running at 50% of what the other two are. Granted, you would get more performance than having two cards, but it still isnt like beasting three full GPUs. Thanks for all the input guys, great help.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah the answer to my question is this. You can have two cards running in SLI, both using 16 channels and at max. Cool. But the most I have seen for three is 16 16 and the third would utilize 8, so it would be running at 50% of what the other two are. Granted, you would get more performance than having two cards, but it still isnt like beasting three full GPUs. Thanks for all the input guys, great help.

The 780i chipset has three X16 slots.

JLV2k5

There you go. But technically he was right. You cannot run SLI with the ATIs, it is Crossfire :)

PunterCam

I know the mac pro's can be bought with 4 ati cards, but I dunno how they work... Thats not very helpful I know. I'll go to bed

smerk

Haha, i cant see how much of a difference a third ultra/gtx would make after the second in SLI anyways:p