Upgrading Intel E6750 Stock Air Cooler (LGA 755)

87dtna

3-4 amps away is no where near maxxed? Uhh your 1200w PSU is like 35-40 amps away from max on the 12v rail you know that right? A quality 850w PSU would power your rig no problem. You're like the king of overkill and you only want to give him 3-4 amps of headroom? wow.

A CPU upgrade alone could take that up, then he has no room for GPU upgrade.

I think you are arguing with me just to disagree with anything I say. Because you suggesting a non overkill PSU just doesn't fit your MO.

His best bet is to watch the classifieds and snag a decent PSU for cheap there. Konsole has a 500w antec earthwatts (great PSU) for $40 shipped right now-

http://www.computerforum.com/203441-c2d-e8400-2gb-ddr2-hd-4870-gpu-asrock-775-mobo-500-w-antec.html

Thats such a good deal that honestly I might buy it if the OP doesn't. Thats the older model earthwatts when seasonic was building them, great quality PSU.

Last edited:

Okedokey

You are correct about the Antec PSU being decent, however its second hand, in a basically unknown condition and without warranty. Its not a good deal, because for $9 more you can get the CX500 which has:

* A higher order ATX specification
* A much larger fan = better cooling and quieter
* Various protection circuits not found in the older seasonic build
* A 3 year warranty - not included in your second hand unit

For $9 - much smarter purcahse than some second hand unit - regardless of what it could do when new.

You're right, if the OP wants head room, then the CX430 isn't the right PSU, but it certainly isn’t going to be maxed by the current build even if overclocked, and it is in the 35 - 40 dollar price point. That was the brief. In fact he could easily put in a GTX560ti, and using your calculations (finger in the air style), it would run fine. And given games like BF3 don't give a rats about the CPU, it would play it great on high settings. So it comes down to the OP.

I am answering his question. I did about the cooler, I did about whether overclocking 'could' be done (no given current power limitations), and I am now about what PSU he can get that allows him to overclock for $40. If the brief changes, and the budget goes up, then I would suggest something better, but until then...

Last edited:

87dtna

Oh no, you are stooping to my level. lol

In no way have I claimed anything false. In your opinion, I have. You seem to think you can back this up with facts, and I have proven you are plain wrong in your calculations (IE remember 10.2a on the 12v rail of the 500w psu by your calculations?) of PSU derating.

Putting that aside, I'm not sure where you get the figure of $9 more for the CX500. First of all, you cannot count mail in rebates. Half of the time you never get them back, 90% of the time they take FOREVER, and thirdly you must put out the expense upfront of that mail in rebate.
It's $59.99 (for some reason you truncated and call 99 cents 0, I call it a dollar), so the initial cost is $20 more than the corsair. And also, lest you forget, there is an additional $2 for shipping on the corsair. So the Antec for $40, a known working PSU and very high quality solid unit. Or, $62 for the corsair with your fancy warranty (which by the way is 3 years not 5, and also it has a 120mm fan which according to you is insufficient). So for all intents and purposes, the cx500 is $22 more, or more than 1/2 again the cost of the antec.

And for some reason you keep concerning yourself with this fan. OMG, all of these PSU's are highly efficient and do not need a lot of airflow. Stop beating the insignificant horse already.

And also, I can't for the life of me wonder why you are soooo concerned about having this warranty on such a good quality unit thats not gonna blow up his system like the cheap rosewill.

You're right

lol

Koku

As I've already said, I will NOT be adding/upgrading anymore hardware for my current PC.

The biggest bottleneck in my PC is my CPU, and I think getting it to 3GHz (244 extra MHz) would give it small extra boost.

Back when I built it, I believe it cost me about $600-700, not including a monitor, and I've already dumped about an extra $200 into it over the past 3+ years to keep up. So far, I've been able to play every new game in the past few years I've thrown at it on medium (Very graphic intense games, including Crysis) to high (surprised Skyrim runs smooth on High for me) settings.

But really, you can only go so far before the main (and most expensive) pieces of your PC just become dated as far as hardware capabilities, until its just better to buy something new altogether.

The point of me buying a new PSU isn't because it gives better specs then my current, its because its safer (while still being generally cheap) then my current PSU. I won't be buying a second-hand PSU (I like the smell of new things!..), but thank you for the suggestion.

@bigfellla, could I bother you to do your mathematics/calculations on the CX430 vs the Rosewill 600w assuming the PC was in a 110F environment? A nice comparison of how much watts/amps/power would be available on each rail would be real helpful.

And given the specs of the CX430, about how much overclocking could you get out of an E6750 CPU while still being in a relatively safe zone?

Okedokey

Ok,

To begin with 110F = 43oC approximately

The Rosewill PSU has 2 x 19A rails rated at 25oC. For every 1oC above 25oC in this case it would account for 4W derating given the low quality build etc. In fact, many would rate this at 20oC, the more likely testing environment, but we'll be kind (it makes no difference anyway).

So at 43oC the Rosewill will derate by 72W or 6A. However the operating temperature is likely to be above that so that, so account for that. This derating applies to the total power output ability being 420W (35A) if I remember correctly on the combined 12V rail. This means that the derated 12V rail can only provide a total of 348W (29A), spread over 2 rails evenly. However, that means the system rail and the CPU rail get 14.5A each max, derated @ 43oC.

The Corsair is easy to calculate as it is rated for 30oC so its a delta 13oC. In fact many of the components in that PSU are rated at 40oC. Given its reasonable quality I would derate it at 2W/oC = 26W or 2.16A derating. The Corsair is a single rail, so all 25.8A (derated) are available.

Take the overclock:

CPU: From 65W to say 90W (this is an overestimate I am sure) = 7.5A
Graphics: From 150W TDP to say 175W (again overestimate) = 14.6A
Rest of system: 50W (probably less) = 4.16A

System rail load = 18.75A max
CPU rail load = 7.5A max

Total = 26.25A / 315W total system - upper estimate. I would be very suprised if you used this much, but its an upper estimate for your 'safety' equation.

That means that:

The Rosewill will probably fail on the system rail very quickly - given that it can only provide 14.5A of the possibly required 18.75A on that overclocked scenario. You can see now why it would (in summer etc) probably go bang. Even if it were a continuous PSU (which it isn't) it would be near 100% load due to its design limitations.

The Corsair will be able to provide clean and more than sufficient power for 3 or more years at 43oC (110F) plus given that it can deliver 26A + (its a continous PSU), in fact it probably can deliver more. But the derating is conservative. So 26A of the required 26A max. Not a problem whatsoever, in fact the efficiency will be excellent.

As you can see, even in this hypothetical maximum, its going to run at 100%, BUT being a continuous PSU, it wont be a problem, even at 43oC. You won't however, ever pull 315W with that system.

This is all worst case scenario of course. Looking into the internals of that PSU, the 12V rail rectifiers (these) can actually deliver 514W at 125oC. As you can see, the benefit of a continous psu. So even if you somehow got that system so overclocked, that it was going to pull 315W, the Corsair would be fine. The Rosewill, definitely not. Ideally, if you have a 20 you can throw at it, get the 500W Corsair, but seriously, you will be doing very well to max that CX430. Even if you did, it can handle it. In fact JohnnyGuru tested it at 427W (near max) at 43oC and it was fine.

Last edited:

87dtna

OMG, so now you are saying the 430w PSU will be maxxed....when you argued with me so much when I said before if he gets the 430 and overclocks it will be maxxed. Jeez now I know for sure you just argue simply to disagree with anything I say. I agreed that the PSU will handle 100% load, but it will be maxxed. And if he gets a quad core and say a gtx560 Ti in the future he'll be screwed with the 430 and have to buy another PSU vs if he just gets the 500 now there's no problem for a very long time.

Okedokey

OMG, so now you are saying the 430w PSU will be maxxed....when you argued with me so much when I said before if he gets the 430 and overclocks it will be maxxed. Jeez now I know for sure you just argue simply to disagree with anything I say. I agreed that the PSU will handle 100% load, but it will be maxxed. And if he gets a quad core and say a gtx560 Ti in the future he'll be screwed with the 430 and have to buy another PSU vs if he just gets the 500 now there's no problem for a very long time.

are you still here? Did you even read his last post? He told you he's not getting any more hardware. Period, so quit it. Sheesh.

Thats a complete and absolute max. The same way engineers build buildings for the 1 in 100 year cyclone. Its simply not going to happen, and if for some very strange reason it does, it can take it, why, its a continuous PSU.

Stick to the brief mate, you have already been told that by the OP.

87dtna

He also said he wasn't getting a new PSU to you about 5 times atleast. So, whatever ''mate''. Now it just suits what you want so thats good enough now. I was making arguments base on the fact he did not want to get a new PSU, now if he's gonna get one he might as well do it right the first time.

His PC is already fairly obsolete, an upgrade within a year will most likely be mandatory if he wants to continue gaming.

Okedokey

He wasn't getting a new PSU because you spent the first 3 pages arguing that his Rosewill 600W PSU was sufficient even for an overclocked system, LOL, in fact in your very first post you said:

And on your PSU, it is a lower quality unit but your PC does not pull that much wattage. The risk of a small overclock is extremely minimal. A good quality 400w PSU would power your rig with zero issues.

So now, a Corsair 430W PSU with a HIGHER available amperage than the original 600W Rosewill, is somehow insufficient? You're making a fool of yourself mate.

The issue is this:

The current PSU is not good quality and has insufficient amperage on the system rail even without an overclock for conditions that can be expected such as summer gaming.

The CX430 meets the OPs requirements:

1. Not second hand
  2. Up to $40
  3. With sufficient ability to supply power to a reasonably overclocked system

This is because of its design and quality. Instead of trapping any 'unused' amperage on the 12V+1, (CPU rail), all of the amperage after derating is available as needed. This is why the CX430 with 170W less nameplate, has 26A available, whereas the Rosewill 600W only has around 20A once you factor in the old ATX design standard and 240AC current isolation.

My hypothetical situation where everything was pulling much more than possibly ever encounted (~26A), is simply to illustrate how well that PSU CAN handle his requirements (being a continuous PSU). In a realistic situation, the Corsair PSU is not going to be maxed by that system, the Diewill will be (do just that - die).

Stick to the OPs requirements and how about quitting the trolling. If the OP wants headroom for more hardware, he can say it, and we can show him a better alternative, but as it stands, the CX430 is fine and completely within the brief.

To make it simply, here is a picture of the comparison:

Untitled-1.png

So as you can see, wattage means little, and a PSU that starts out with more amps, is quickly embarrased by basic design limitations and derating curves. Take home message, the CX430 can provide your computer with sufficient power at an insane overclock in summer (at 110F).

Last edited:

87dtna

He wasn't getting a new PSU because you spent the first 3 pages arguing that his Rosewill 600W PSU was sufficient even for an overclocked system, LOL, in fact in your very first post you said:

He told you before I entered the thread as well.

So now, a Corsair 430W PSU with a HIGHER available amperage than the original 600W Rosewill, is somehow insufficient? You're making a fool of yourself mate.

Now I know 100% you cannot read. I said atleast 3-4 times that the cx430 would run his rig fine, but for future upgrades it would be insufficient. Yes he said he wasn't getting new hardware but he also said he wasn't getting a new PSU. You seriously cannot read, you read want you want to see.

You will never find that I stated anywhere the CX430 not enough for his current rig. I said when overclocked it would be maxxed, which YOU even agreed with. Maxxed does not mean insufficient, as we've covered this and I never disagreed that the corsair can run at 100% all day long. My entire point once he agreed to get a new PSU was if you are going to get a new one get a little more for future upgrades.

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
If the dude is going to upgrade his power supply, he should get something better then the CX430. I would atleast get the CX500/600 or Seasonic S12II 520 or Silverstone ST50F-ES 500W or XFX PRO550W. Make it worth your while.

87dtna

Way to wait until the price changed for black friday to reply :rolleyes:

The price WAS $44.99 with $1.99 shipping, and then a $10 mail in rebate.

Last edited:

Okedokey

Well, the price is now normally $36 so on every level you have completed your inaccuracy. Well done.

87dtna

lol, and it'll only be there for 2 days most likely for the sale. And for most of the time, including when you first recommended it in this thread, it has been at $47 shipped. I'm sure it will return to that soon, and when it does I'll be sure to post in the thread to make you ''inaccurate'' then :rolleyes: