Vista Users! How to / Problems

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
The latest Chipset and Sound ones, I just don't know how to remove them... Thanks!

Control Panel > Uninstall a program. Find the correct drivers on the list. :p You can also use the device manager to uninstall the driver for any device. I think PC Eye mentioned that.

PC eye

banned
Chances are that simply seeing the correct driver set installed go on will make the first set inactive with the new set active. The manual method mentioned earlier reuires looking at each item to see if you intend to remove any drivers for it.

If the update should be seen in the updates section of the add/remove programs which is what mep916 was referring to there you simply select that and click the change/remove button seen in Vista's version. In the device manager however you can right click on an item to select the update driver option as well as the uninstall to have Windows perform a search for the correct version sometimes online if logged on to at least your home page while this is being done.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Is it best to un-install drivers before installing the new ones?

I can't find anything for the chipset in the Uninstall a Program window;

2002386436651361839_rs.jpg

Is there any way that I can check anything that will give me details of the BSOD so that I can look at it in further detail?

PC eye

banned
memory dump files get rather technical in detail while pressing the pause button sometimes can hold a still screen long enough to read any device or software driver even seen. That will point to the device or program with the problem. The links posted earlier are for using the event viewer in Vista that can help if you can get past the techical terms seen there. The second link at MS provides screen shots to help there.

Vista's entire add/remove programs section was drastically changed from XP. On XP you would see Windows updates often by simply scrolling down the screen. With Vista there's now a separate section when you look to the upper right corner in the list of options under "Task" where the first is the "View installed updates".

The NVidia item seen in the Programs + Feature is likely your new video card drivers not for the Intel chipset there. The correct update will simply knock those out while for video, sound, and other types of devices you will want to see the old ones removed first unless an installer does that for you.

Updating video and sound cards commonly sees that performed while changing from ATI to NVidia or vice versa driver removal tools are the thing to use so Windows will see the correct drivers installed when detecting the card or device.

PC eye

banned
That would certainly provide a good reference in case someone spots the actual problem from any information seen. Just remember that hardware drivers like those for video and sound cards will tend to see this more often.

Recently someone posted about seeing driver problems similar to what was seen here with the new HD 3600XT with one of the 8800 models. The next update could see all that corrected like the Catalyst 7.10 and 7.11 saw for Vista with the 7.10 and XP saw with the 7.11 release.

PC eye

banned
A little more to the left while the number is seen entirely could help. To search with the error seen there the entire number typed into a search box never works. The MS information seems to suggest a hardware problem if you simply don't have a compatibility issue with memory or a need to reseat an expansion card if not the dimms themselves.

The first number inside the parentheses lists as double fault at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137539 Note the MS page seen there was for XP as well as other versions that can also be applied to Vista at times since this is often seen as a kernal trap in NT, 2000, 2003, and XP.

PC eye

banned
Using the driver removal tool provided NVidia and going for update that may see a correction would likely see better results. A newer version usually will remove the existing drivers as part of the installatio process however.

Kornowski

VIP Member
I have the latest nVidea drivers, I also had the ones that came with my card on a CD, I was getting the BSOD with them too, so I got the newest ones, and it still happens?

PC eye

banned
I ran into that when first getting the new build up and running here with the ATI model used. The drivers on the cd were useless and the Catalyst 7.9 was also a headache for both XP and Vista alike. You are not the only one with an 8800 to be running into this either.

The 7,10 to later come after the patch ATI released for the 7.9 cleaned things up for Vista while XP still suffered from partial washouts of the Start taskbar. The 7.11 finally saw a working set for XP there.

Apparently you will have to keep an eye out for the next update and save it to a folder somewhere once found to have a working set of drivers in that. The main problem being seen all this time is simply the rush to get new models out before seeing working driver sets available!

Kornowski

VIP Member
So, do you think if I remove all the Windows Updates and install them one-by-one I can find out which one it is?

PC eye

banned
Forget Vista's SP1 when that comes out then. The latest NVidia drivers could very well be the problem rather then any MS updates for seeing the BSODs there. I've heard from a few running into the same driver problem with 8800s as was seen here with the AYI model.

The next release may clean all of the problems there right up. Keep an eye for the next update that follows the one you just installed to see if that is the problem. You can try rolling back the updates and try each one by itself. But the blue screens always seem to fall back on device drivers of some type.

SirKenin

banned
You don't have to do that. Tell the guy to read a computer book or two and actually get with the program. The guy is stuck in the 80's.

All you have to do is go to the event viewer and find out what date and time the error started happening. Then, go into Control Panel > Windows Update and click on "View Update History". Remove anything installed after that time and you'll find out whether it's a Windows Update that's causing the problem.

First, though, from the Event Viewer tell us what the exact error is.

If you take any advice from that guy he'll have you out buying a new computer, throwing yours out the window in frustration, or both.

Kornowski

VIP Member
There's a lot of Volcum Shadow Copy errors, but there's also a ton of others, I mean a load!

Is there any way that I can upload them so that people who know what to look for can see?

The BSOD has been happened after I used MS Update, it was like the first day I got Vista installed...

Dave, I have the latest nVidea drivers, I've also tried older ones but I get the same problem.

PC eye

banned
You may have seen a bad install of Windows itself. Have you been able to remove the updates by going back at all? The problem with BSODs is not being able to use a screen capture utility to take a snapshot of the actual information seen for the brief moment.

Being fast and hitting the pause/break key can sometime freeze everything so you can write down the information displayed. What the MS updates may have also seen is the autpmatic download of the wrong drivers for something if one of the security updates didn't go on backwards.

Make a note on the latest NVidia driver set's version number and still keep an eye out for a patch or the next if it does turn out to be a problem with the drivers. But you may end up having to go ahead with a total fresh install of Windows all over again in order to get things running the way they should. It's time consuming but often cleans up the problem easier in the long run if you can't isolate the problem to one thing.

PC eye

banned
That will be two pages back with this reply for sure. :p

Without being able to see the left side of the screen to see if anything more like "unexpected_kernal_mode_trap" is seen along with the rest of the error the following information points out the likely cause for seeing this other then any video driver issue.

Symptoms

You may receive get the error on Windows:
”STOP 0x0000007F (UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP) “
Cause

This can arise if the either of following circumstances arise:

>Computer has hardware/software issues

>Computer's processor speed has been altered (e.g. processor is set at 150 MHz running at 187 MHz).

The STOP error above is due to a trap having occurred in kernel mode. The most common causes of ‘STOP 0x7F’ are:

>Low-level hardware corruption (corrupt memory)
>Mismatched memory modules
>Faulty motherboard

To determine an approximate cause, examine the parameters at the top of the STOP screen:
**STOP 0x0000007F (0x000000XX, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

The most important parameter is the first (0x0000000X) which can contain various different values. This occurs depending on the value of the parameter. Traps that cause a ‘STOP 0x7F’ are found in the Intel x86 microprocessor manual. http://www.accessdatabaserepair.com/kb/Q137539.htm

You did mention ocing already with the new build there. The information seen there also confirms the MS information on this type of error message at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137539

CAUSE

This error message can occur if either of the following conditions exists:
•Your computer has hardware or software problems (hardware failure is the most common cause).
•You try to over clock the speed of your computer's processor (for example, you set a 150 MhZ processor to run at 187 MhZ).

The above STOP error means a trap occurred in kernel mode and the trap is either one the kernel is not allowed to have or is always fatal.

The most common causes of a STOP 0x7F are:
•Low-level hardware corruption, such as corrupt memory (RAM)
•Mismatched memory modules
•A malfunctioning motherboard