Vista Users! How to / Problems

Kornowski

VIP Member
I know, I've read the MS page, it doesn't help though, as I've tested the RAM and such, I'm going to try un-installing the updates tomorrow...

PC eye

banned
That was the alternative to drivers or any problem being caused by an update there. The reason this one is a little awkward is that no driver is specified like seen with the BSODs seen here due to Vista drivers automatically being downloaded by the installer as well as the MS update site for sound and the ATI goofup with the Catalyst 7.9 that also came on the software disk for the newer card here.

When going to manually remove the updates you have to right click on each one there to click the uninstall popup. They are easy enough to find in the Programs+Features with a click on the view updates link seen at the upper left corner of the screen. Hopefully that will clean it up otherwise you may need a full reinstall to get anywhere.

PC eye

banned
You will have to review everything besides Vista you installed since first getting it running or plan a clean install from scratch to debug the problem being seen there. I strongly suspected something else besides any updates while not being able to rule anything out.

If you are forced to reinstall Windows make sure you first restore factory defaults without ocing and trying Windows again with only 2gb of memory at first. Once Vista is up you can put the other dimm back in. That will avoid a few types of errors seen with 4gb installed.

It does seem to point to some problem during the initial installation of Windows with the newer hardwares and flaky drivers. I ran right into that here when first getting the new build going and both XP and Vista saw driver headaches.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Ok, So I'm so close to figuring it out!

I went to a LAN event last night and all I had plugged in was the Mouse, Keyboard and Monitor, no Internet.

When I shut it down, it didn't BSOD, straight off!

So, I think it's the drivers for the Wireless Reciever I have... How do I uninstall them, I had a CD that came with it and installed them when I got Vista... How do I find where they are and un-install them? Thanks! :)

Kornowski

VIP Member
uninstall them in the device manager

I can do that Ok, but the install CD won't let me click install, I click it, but it won't do anything, nor will the Quit button, but the one in the top right will :cool:

2001521619078186305_rs.jpg

I know it's those drivers that are resposible because I un-install them and the BSOD goes... but without them I don't have the internet... :mad:

These are the drivers;

2004637959349499945_rs.jpg

What do you suggest?

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Check the product's website and make sure you're using the latest Vista drivers.

PC eye

banned
With the first set being the problem since you managed to get Windows down to the basics avoiding the need to see a total reinstallation you now have two options for seeing the drivers needed go back on. The first would be the add new hardware wizard for manually selecting the device from a list and browing the cd for the correct driver set. Window will then see those installed once the right one is selected. That will also bypass the installer there.

The second option once drivers have been installed would be the update driver option seen when right clicking on the item in the device manager. You can have Windows perform the auto search for drivers as well as browing the cd for them. The auto search online is out until connected however.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
If you look closely at the screenshot of the adapter properties, you'll see the driver version is from March 2004. Using the CD would not be an option - the drivers on the disk are too old. Hopefully the manufacturer of Danny's wireless adapter has an updated Vista driver version at their support page. The date of the driver suggests the software was intended for XP, not Vista.

PC eye

banned
This is why the update driver option provides the "let Windows search" option there. For dsl here the original drivers are actually for 98! But even in Vista as well as XP the search will perform an online search if connected at the time. That will have Windows search the MS data base according to the hardware information for any available newer version.

Meanwhile for those running Vista looking for the "repair install" option seen with XP Vista also sees one as well. For repairing the present installation to avoid a full clean install the Vista forum at MS has a thread on this. http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

To date besides the usual ads for softwares that is the only guide found for performing the repair install in order to preserve everything you currently have installed. The acitivation process is easier when reinstalling Vista over when first seen with XP however. That's due to the new Windows verification tool needed in order to download updates once Windows is activated.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, the update driver function might work, but don't you think it would be easier to download and install the latest package fron the website?

PC eye

banned
If they have a separate updated driver set then you would simply save that in a folder or even on removable media in case needed again later like reinstalling Windows all over or even swapping drives out. First you have to be able to get to the support site for that however.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Thanks for the replies guys!

The thing is, I can't even use the CD for some reason, it worked before, but it won't let me click on anything, excpet the top right exit button, so I can't install them that way, I can try the manual way though I guess...

Haha, as for my wireless reciever having a web site, Bah! They're called Inventel, I can't find anything on the net!

We've got an Orange (Used to be Wanadoo) Livebox, and it's utter crap! I'd buy a new reciever, but I've heard that they somehow stop you from using other "3rd Party" ones... I don't know if they could actually do that?

PabloTeK

If you an enter the product code into Google then see what chipset is used and the producer of said chipset may do their own drivers (e.g. Ralink do more up-to-date versions of the drivers for my device than Belkin does).

Kornowski

VIP Member
How do I find the product code?

I'm thinking about getting a new reciever, but apparently, they've done something to stop you using one, I don't know if that can be done?

PabloTeK

Seems a bit anti-competitive, which the government doesn't like for obvious reasons. How do you mean they've locked it?

Kornowski

VIP Member
Well, I've read that they've somehow done something to stop you using other wireless recievers other than the one they give you... :cool: I don't think that's possible is it?

Also, how do I check the product code to look for some more drivers?