warning to everyone buying a new pc

Classic_house

I got an Acer and it was Inexpensive (TRIZOY) and I am really happy with it... The only problem I actually have with it is not Acers fault... The 15.4 screen when set at 1280X800 makes the words small... But that can happen with all companies...
I do not know too much about Dell but in life you get what you pay for….

Daveb2012

I think dell is a good company.. I have 3 labs at my school full or dell machines about 100 workstations total and none have failed to my knowledge. yes they make them cheap but dell doesnt make ANYTHING they buy parst from other companys in bulk and just assemble them. they have good warrentys also you take a risk always when you buy a computer I bought from compaq twice and every part in my last machine except mobo died on me. i had replace the cpu monitor video card and hard drive in the last one.. the fan broke on hs and everything went down hill from their.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
yeh but they did decide to put a crappy one in there
Your point? Just because soemthing failed for you doesnt mean its universally bad .... we could start with spelling mistakes for instance ... just because you made a spelling mistake doesnt mean you're a moron entirely ....

Praetor said:
Your point? Just because soemthing failed for you doesnt mean its universally bad .... we could start with spelling mistakes for instance ... just because you made a spelling mistake doesnt mean you're a moron entirely ....

rofl (rolling on floor laughing)

rufnkz

I find Dells, HP's and Compaq's all to be problematic and difficult to work on. I have built my own and choose so because I want what I need and not what somebody thinks I need. Before you decide to build research everything and do not buy cheap. Save untill you can get what you want and then you will be happy. Good luck!

spazz31585

hadn't read through the whole post, so someone else may have already mentioned all this, but

the thing a lot of people don't realize is the fact that the hdd and such are not made by dell
just because the machine has the dell name on it does not mean that they are the cause of all the problems
if dell recieves bad parts that aren't made durable enough, that's not their fault
and only when people call in for tech support can we start to notice a problem and work on fixing the issue
that's the thing, any comp you buy is going to have problems. but, the problems can't be fixed until they are known about
dell does a pretty good job and has a good policy when it comes to getting someones machine up and running
i have personally stayed on the phone with people for over 3 hours before just to make sure that their computer was up and running before i let them go
i have experienced problems with every computer i have ever used. i'm on an hp right now and it sucks. i can't stand it.
but, at least with dell, they will do whatever possible to make sure everything is working for you
hell, there's been a lot of times i have replaced parts and stuff for people even when they were out of warranty
a lot of people don't buy dell strictly for the computer, but more for the tech service and warranties

oh, and i did notice where someone said something about dells are not for playing the newest games
not so, dell has the new dimension gen 4 out. which is actually designed mainly for gaming
never been able to have access to one yet, but i hear they are pretty sweet

lilm3boi

The only wise person in this whole thread seems to be Praetor. Everybody seems to show off their lack of knowledge about Dells. First off, a computer is only as good as what is in it. If you buy a dell 3000 and have a 2.6gh celeron with a onboard graphics card, you cant expect it to run modern games. Where as the XPS with an x850xt and a 3.73 P4 EE would smoke most of your machines out there. And to the guy with the hard drive, it happens. You should back everything up occasioanly so if that does happen you are ready. Finally, you have a warranty for a reason. Use it.

You get what you pay for.

4W4K3

VIP Member
I am not a fan of Dell's myself, but i have never had a Dell where the hardware fried/failed. I jsut do not like them because they aren't flexible enough for me, they are locked down, and their designs i don't prefer.

I agree with whoever said "it happens." A hard-drive is jsut as likely to fail no matter what brand computer you put it in. Dell doesn't make them, so it's not their fault. If you know that Dell buys crappy/cheap hardware, then simply don't buy from them. If you would have done some research before hand you would have avoided all of this.

Dell usually has the BEST sales out there. $750 off $1500 purchase, remarkable mark-downs all the time.

And like someone else siad, you have a warranty, use it. If you did not opt. to buy a warranty or renew an old warranty, that is enitrely YOUR fault.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
so someone else may have already mentioned all this, but

the thing a lot of people don't realize is the fact that the hdd and such are not made by dell
Hehe beat you to that one ;)

The only wise person in this whole thread seems to be Praetor.
Hehe thanks although i wouldnt say im the only wise person here ;)

SFR

Truth fears no questions
HDD's fail ALL THE TIME.

Whether you purchase a computer from Dell or build one yourself, theres a chance the HDD (or any other part.. for that matter) will fail. I have had 3 Dell computers over the years and the worst thing I have encountered is a jacked up fan (which Dell replaced within 2 or 3 days...).