What brand of laptop is best

tlarkin

VIP Member
Read it, that is for barebones notebooks.Also, amny manufactureres are starting to include a two year warranty on some of their notebooks.(I know gateway offers a free 2 year warranty on some of their more costly notebooks)

A quick google of "asus free accidental damage" comes up with this:
http://www.notebooks.com/2007/09/14...ear-accidental-damage-warranty-for-notebooks/

that article is over 2 years old and I can't find that anywhere on Asus's official website, let me do some google fu here...

I found it, good old site switch with google searching

** For notebooks purchased on or after Sept. 10, 2007. The ASUS 360 Notebook Service Program and Accidental Damage Warranty covers “ASUS” brand notebooks only, and does NOT extend to: “Built on ASUS,” “ASMobile,” “Powered by ASUS,” the Eee PC, or some other models. These retailers are currently among the companies that do NOT participate in the ASUS 360 Notebook Service Program and Accidental Damage Warranty: Best Buy, MicroCenter, and The Source by CircuitCity in Canada. Limited of one claim per notebook for Accidental Damage Warranty. ASUS reserves the right to discontinue this program and to modify the terms and conditions thereof at any time. ASUS Accidental Damage Warranty Program starts from the date of your ASUS notebook purchase, when all the requirements are met.

You also must register with in 60 days of purchase or it doesn't count, they can also refuse it or decline it and abolish it at any time for any reason.

There are also companies that do not participate in the warranty program either.

Sounds like a lot of ifs to me, but I guess it is valid. I would contact Asus though before relying on it.

http://adw.asus.com/content/adp/default.aspx

bomberboysk

Also, looks like as of now the accidental damage is included with the eee line as well as the notebook line.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Also, looks like as of now the accidental damage is included with the eee line as well as the notebook line.

There is also a clause that some accidental damage is not covered, but I wonder how they would determine that. Most likely if you admit to something over the phone. So all you need to do is just play dumb, oh I don't know what happened it just stopped working.

bomberboysk

There is also a clause that some accidental damage is not covered, but I wonder how they would determine that. Most likely if you admit to something over the phone. So all you need to do is just play dumb, oh I don't know what happened it just stopped working.

Yeah, it states that scratches/wear & tear arent covered but drops, spills, etc are. Still... for it to be included for free plus a 2 year warranty(even on the lowest end $600 asus notebook it has a 2 yr warranty), asus stands behind the product they sell.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Yeah, it states that scratches/wear & tear arent covered but drops, spills, etc are. Still... for it to be included for free plus a 2 year warranty(even on the lowest end $600 asus notebook it has a 2 yr warranty), asus stands behind the product they sell.

It also says intentional and acts of god are not covered. So if you punch it on purpose or it gets hit by lightning you better lie about it to keep it covered.

bomberboysk

It also says intentional and acts of god are not covered. So if you punch it on purpose or it gets hit by lightning you better lie about it to keep it covered.

Yeah, punching is a bad thing...(A friend of mine has gone through 3 monitors from getting so angry he punched it and cracked the lcd, and then he also went through one case by getting so angry he punched it and broke the plexi, and supposedly he threw a stick of laptop ram at one of my friends and broke it lol) Lighting on the other hand... use a surge protector people, even if its just one of those ones that just go onto the end of your cord that walmart sells(only for travel purposes of course, when actually at home use a real surge protector..):p

LM79

Toshiba Satellite A300.
Piano gloss black, looks the sh;t.
Running vista @ 1.83ghz and 3Gb memory.
Going very well - used as a daily wireless surfer.
Good batt life.
Didn't come with much bloatware actually. =)
However, not sure how to use Bluetooth ****

Euklid

Yeah, punching is a bad thing...(A friend of mine has gone through 3 monitors from getting so angry he punched it and cracked the lcd, and then he also went through one case by getting so angry he punched it and broke the plexi, and supposedly he threw a stick of laptop ram at one of my friends and broke it lol) Lighting on the other hand... use a surge protector people, even if its just one of those ones that just go onto the end of your cord that walmart sells(only for travel purposes of course, when actually at home use a real surge protector..):p

Isn't that the purpose of a fuse box in the home?

bengal85

Toshiba Satellite A300.
Piano gloss black, looks the sh;t.
Running vista @ 1.83ghz and 3Gb memory.
Going very well - used as a daily wireless surfer.
Good batt life.
Didn't come with much bloatware actually. =)
However, not sure how to use Bluetooth ****

What why toshiba though do they really make a good comp

dannaswolcott

So I have to appologize to LM79 I looked into toshiba and they actually make a good laptop. so I say Good advice.

I agree. I have had many toshiba laptops in the past and I still have em. The oldest one is about 15 years old. Strong and works great still. I love em, They are worth the $$. They last a long time, Good support, and if you drop them they stay together they dont crack. They are built strong... Recommended 100%

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I'm all for the commercial grade Dell's [Latitude/Vostro] and HP's [NC6220's are nice].

Volt

I second Asus. If you don't need the CD drive, an EEE PC is a phenomenal choice. I'm typing on a 1000HE right now, and it's pretty much as fast as your internet connection, and has a battery that lasts roughly 7 hours. If you need something a little meatier, it's definitely worth at least glancing at some of their larger models.