What is better? core2duo e7500 or Phenom x4 9650

gimmigzgy

I really dont know which brand makes a good processor.
I'm running now a:

core2duo e7500 2.93ghz 3mb L2 cache
ECS g31
I3d 9500gt 1gb 128bit ddr2 PCI-e
2gb Apacer 667 ddr2
160gb Sata HDD
17" LCD monitor

I'm into gaming and media editing(photoshop, aftereffects)

Do you think it would be better for me to upgrade my procie and mobo with an
AMD Phenom x4 9650 2.3ghz 2mb L2 cache, still with the same pc specs?

would I notice the difference?

I am not really satisfied with my core2duo procie, cuz NBA 2k9 won't even run smoothly, but my friend's computer (AMD athlon64 x2 2.6, with the same pc specs as mine but lower ram, only 1gb) runs nba 2k9 much smoother than my PC.

I really dont know how come it's like that.

Seeing the difference,
it made me to see that AMD's early version of dual core's are better than Intel's Newest versions of Dual Cores(namely core2duo's).

Guyz, please help me decide if I'm gonna upgrade my processor or just tweak it.

Thankz!!!

gimmigzgy

Why?
What's wrong with a phenom 1?
How about I get a Phenom II x3 720 2.8ghz?
Is it better than the Phenom x4 9650?

linkin

VIP Member
The E7500 is a dual core. A Phenom II would be better. The Phenom II X3 looks good actually, and you'll have a shot at unlocking the extra core.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Why?

Yeap, the Phenom II 720BE would wipe the floor with a 9650. I have a 720 unlocked to a quad running at 3.5GHZ. with only 1.375 voltage.

Last edited:

Twist86

Why?

Its just over all slower and was packed with problems it also didn't fair well with overclocking.

Phenom II x3 is better its a 45nm chip vs 65nm has more L2 cache AND has L3 cache and it can be overclocked much better.

ScottALot

To tell you the truth, I'd really avoid tri-cores... they have the tri-core pinch and that makes it as if you have 2.7 cores.

StrangleHold

Staff member
To tell you the truth, I'd really avoid tri-cores... they have the tri-core pinch and that makes it as if you have 2.7 cores.

My God, I've heard it all now. Care to show me a link/review on this. Or was it a kinda of what I think thing?

maroon1

Its just over all slower and was packed with problems it also didn't fair well with overclocking.

Phenom II x3 is better its a 45nm chip vs 65nm has more L2 cache AND has L3 cache and it can be overclocked much better.

Phenom II X3 doesn't have more L2 cache, it only have more L3 cache than Phenom 1

Jet

VIP Member
Your processor is fine--you graphics card is what is holding you back! The 9500GT isn't that good--if you can spend $115 or so, look into an Ati 4850.

gimmigzgy

Are you sure my processor is fine?
does a 9500gt 512mb 128bit DDR3 perform better than my 9500gt 1gb 128bit ddr2?

Dazzeerr

No, there would be almost no difference. But you graphics card is definitely holding you back more than the processor. I made the mistake of buying an 8500GT (pretty much the same as 9500), they really aren't good graphics cards, when you don't know much about graphics cards - like i didn't then - the fact they are in the '8' series or '9' series fools you into thinking they will run recent games without a twitch, Wrong. :)

Even an 8800GT would be a massive improvement, but i'd go for maybe a GeForce 275 or Radeon 4850 to be more recent, if you can. :)

2048Megabytes

A Phenom II 720 Central Processing Unit has more processing power than a Core 2 Duo E7500 Processor.

I agree with Jet though. A new video card would likely give your system the extra processing power it needs. The Core 2 Duo E7500 is likely good enough.