What is better? core2duo e7500 or Phenom x4 9650

StrangleHold

Staff member
yes it is,
and would the performance be better if I switch from a 667 to a 800?

If you want your gaming better and not completely upgrade your whole computer or spend alot of money. I would go with 4GB. of DDR 800 and upgrade your card to something like a GTS 250 or a 4850, that is if your power supply can pull either of those cards.

Then overclock that CPU some.

Jet

VIP Member
Let's get back to the main issue--your graphics card isn't up to the task. You should have no issues with any of the other components.

I linked you to the Ati 4850, but you stated that it is over your budget. The 9600GT would be the next choice after the 4850.

In response to Stranglehold:

The 8800GT is the better card. But dont believe I have ever saw a 256MB. 8800GT

Actually, the 8800GT is worse than the 9600GT according to Tomshardware's GPU Hierarchy chart:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2464-8.html

I would suggest this 9600GT:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125272&cm_re=9600GT-_-14-125-272-_-Product

After rebate, it's just $5 more expensive than the others, is faster, and made by a better company (Gigabyte).

Before you do anything else, buy a better graphics card. Focus on your graphics card first, and then, if you still aren't satisfied, look into other components. However, I'm quite certain that the 9600GT will do all you want and more!

Jet

VIP Member
That price vs. Performance. A 9800GT is just a renamed 8800GT. In just performance a 8800GT/9800GT is better then a 9600GT

The chart is actual performance, unless I am not seeing something correctly.

Yes, the 9800GT is a renamed 8800GT. However, note that he stated the 8800GT with 256MB--which is listed two brackets underneath the 9600GT.

StrangleHold

Staff member
The chart is actual performance, unless I am not seeing something correctly.

Yes, the 9800GT is a renamed 8800GT. However, note that he stated the 8800GT with 256MB--which is listed two brackets underneath the 9600GT.

Like I said, I've never saw a 8800GT 256MB. The one listed which I have saw before is a 8800GS/ the same thing as a 9600GSO.

So with that, its a toss up between a 8800GS/9600GSO and a 9600GT

This is what the chart says

This will happen. In fact, it’s guaranteed to happen, because inventory levels and prices change quickly. So how do you know if that card you’ve got your eye on is a good buy in its price range?

You can use this hierarchy to compare the pricing between two cards, to see which one is a better deal, and also to determine if an upgrade is worthwhile.

Think we are arguing about like 3 FPS between a 8800GT 256MB/8800GS/9600GSO and a 9600GT

Last edited:

gimmigzgy

SO all in all,

if I'm in a very tight budget,
the best thing that I can upgrade my pc is to:

upgrade it's ram to a dual channel kit (4gb, 2gb x2 pc800)
upgrade my gpu to 9600gt, because I dont really know if my PSU would support a 4850.

my PSU says that it's 500w but I dont think it's really 500w....

Jet

VIP Member
SO all in all,

if I'm in a very tight budget,
the best thing that I can upgrade my pc is to:

upgrade it's ram to a dual channel kit (4gb, 2gb x2 pc800)
upgrade my gpu to 9600gt, because I dont really know if my PSU would support a 4850.

my PSU says that it's 500w but I dont think it's really 500w....

Is there a sticker on the side of the PSU? What brand/model is it?

Yes, you have the idea--though the GPU is a higher priority than the memory.

lovely?

does it have a pci-e connector? its a rectangle 6-pin connector. if it has one of those it will power a 9600gt or a 4850 easily, since they don't even pull much power at all.

Jet

VIP Member
Most likely your graphics card will come with a 4 pin to PCI-E connector, or else you can get a cheaper graphics card like the ATi 4650 that doesn't require an extra power connector.

gimmigzgy

What if I downgrade my processor from a e7500 to a Phenom x3 8650 or athlon II x2 250?

and then upgrade my video card to a 9600gt or a 8800gt.

but then, will it require an extra power connector.?

Last edited:

2048Megabytes

I don't think you are understanding. Your motherboard supports certain Intel processors only. Advanced Micro Devices (or AMD) processors will not work with your present motherboard.

If I were you I would just save your money for the video card and RAM suggested.

gimmigzgy

ahaha!
I know that intel has lga and amd has am3 sockets, =)

I'm gonna downgrade my procie as well as my mobo, =)
just to buy a better video card.

but still keep the 2gb ddr2 pc667 ram

Last edited:

Aastii

VIP Member
Your OS is fine for gaming, you processor is fine for gaming, your memory is fine for gaming, what isn't fine for gaming, is your graphics card.

You would be better off spending your less than $100 on a better graphics card, then your gaming would improve a hell of alot.

now can I draw your attention to:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102719

the ATi 3870 will play any game that you could want that is out at the minute, with the exception of the massively demanding games like crysis, arma2, GTA4 etc on medium-highest settings with no problem, yes, even with your system now.

When you have a bit more money, then upgrade your memory, a 2x2GB PC6400 800MHz kit would be the best option, from there, anything else would be a new motherboard job and a new processor and a new power supply, it is constantly evolving though, as any good system should be :)

can I also draw your attention to something else, if you get a new graphics card, you can sell your old one and get funds for something else, maybe even getting a slightly better graphics card than the one picked, maybe getting that memory now aswell as the graphics. To give you an idea of how much it would be worth:

http://computers.shop.ebay.com/Comp...9500gt&_catref=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

by the looks of that, maybe an extra $40, which you could probably put to best use saving for tthat memory or getting a slightly better graphics card, for example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150441

please note with that though, you may want to buy an after market heatsink and/or fan for it too because the coolers were so badly designed on them, the air is blown into the case, not out, but a new heatsink and fan soon sorts that problem out, or even a vent on the side panel

Last edited:

2048Megabytes

Wow, that is a great video card especially for $40. I would buy the ASUS EAH4670/DI/512MD3 Radeon HD 4670 video card Jet recommended. That is a smoking hot deal!

StrangleHold

Staff member
I dont know, the dude has a 9500GT 1GB. now. All this about upgrading to 9600GT or a 4670 (Which is a good price). I think with his system as a whole, that small of a upgrade would be a waste of money and time.

My opinion, I would just save up and get a better card and power supply. Then when you can afford it upgrade your board and processor move them over to it.

Your just going from a low mid range card to another better low mid range card.