What is better? core2duo e7500 or Phenom x4 9650

gimmigzgy

I need to sell more pc parts before I can buy that,
but do you think what cards match up to it?

Cause i'm thinking of buying an Innno3d 9600gt 512mb 256bit or an Innno3d 8800gt 256mb 256bit.

What's better?

tlarkin

VIP Member
To be honest, more cache is probably the performance factor here you are looking for. I would buy the processor that has the most cache around the clock speed or price range you are looking for.

I went with a Q9650 when I built my PC last year because it has 12MB of Cache.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I really dont understand the importance of cache and its levels.
Can you educate me about it
=)

If you want to really read up on it, google it, but to give you a very quick and dirty break down of how it benefits a computer, this is why.

You do something on your computer,

Your input on your computer triggers a command that is processed by the CPU, the CPU first looks for the fastest place possible for instruction sets on what to do, which is the cache. It stores commands and instructions that the CPU can use to execute it's job. If it is not found in cache, then it looks the the next quickest, but over all slower spot, RAM. If RAM doesn't have the proper info it looks to your hard drive (virtual memory) which is the slowest.

So, in theory the more cache you have, the more instruction sets it can load and the faster your processor is. Of course you see the biggest increase on multi-tasking performance, but since every OS under the sun these days is a multi-user multitasking platform, then it should fit right in.

This is just a general explanation, if you want more in depth I would suggest you google some tech articles, hit up wikipedia and go read some articles that both Intel and AMD put out on their product.

gimmigzgy

would I feel the difference if I would switch from e7500 3mb L2 cache to a Phenom II x3 720 with 6mb L3 cache?

tlarkin

VIP Member
would I feel the difference if I would switch from e7500 3mb L2 cache to a Phenom II x3 720 with 6mb L3 cache?

I do not know all the hardware specifics of every processor and it depends, is that cache shared amongst each core, or is the cache split in other ways? It also depends on what you are doing on your computer.

I have a Q9650
4 Gigs of RAM
GTX 260

I can run pretty much every game at max settings no problem, overall performance is crap, but then again it is because I am running Windows.

gimmigzgy

why? what's the problem with running Windows?
what kind of windows are you running?

does winXP sp3 have better performance than the winxp sp2?
when it comes to gaming

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
why? what's the problem with running Windows?
what kind of windows are you running?

does winXP sp3 have better performance than the winxp sp2?
when it comes to gaming

Lets not stray off the path here on our opinions of OSes. I am biased, and my opinions are my own based off of over a decade of work in the IT field. Windows is the worst OS you can install on a system. I run Vista at home on my PC because I wanted DX10 support and 64bit architecture support. I'd upgrade to 7 if it weren't so damn expensive. Not really worth the price, and I only have one PC that runs Windows for games. Everything else I do on other sytsems.

I have posted on many threads about why I feel this way, you can use the search feature to look it up.

As for your processor questions, I don't know which is better on paper because I no longer really keep up to date with all the latest hardware changes unless I am in the market to spend money. Since I just built my PC last year I am not looking to spend money.

However, last year when I was looking, Intel was the over all better processor for sure on paper.

gimmigzgy

does xp have a 64bit version?

If I install a 64bit os would the performance be better for gaming and editing?
for example windows 7?

StrangleHold

Staff member

All the 720s I've had would unlock to a quad but one. All would overclock to between 3.7/3.9, even the one that would not unlock. This is just a benefit because it doesnt always happen.

But its still kinda of a no brainer, If you didnt have either one, the 720BE no question.

Since you already have the e7500, the money for a board/memory/processor to go to a 720BE = No.

gimmigzgy

you're saying that I should upgrade my memory or board for better performance?

would it be okay If I put a 2gb 667 ram and a 2gb 800 ram in my mobo?

2048Megabytes

Some advantages of a 64-bit operating system over a 32-bit operating system:

Ability to use RAM above the 3.25 gigabyte limit
Software (including some x86 applications) run faster and have more stability
Better graphics

Windows XP does have a 64-bit version but software drivers for it are poor from what I have heard about it. I would avoid it. The operating system I would purchase is Windows 7. You can buy it here for $105 free shipping:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10011180&prodlist=celebros

2048Megabytes

No, Strangehold is saying you should not upgrade to a Phenom II 720 Processor. The reason why is you would have to buy an entirely new motherboard which would cost a lot of money.

In my own opinion I wouldn't buy another module of RAM to combine with your current 2 gigabytes. If you really want 4 gigabytes of RAM purchase a dual channel kit of 4 gigabytes.

gimmigzgy

it's only a home premium version...
Is there a windows 7 ultimate that is 64bit?

Cuz if there is I would buy it just to improve my pc performance.

another thing,
what's a dual channel kit of 4 gigabytes.?

is it compatible with my ECS g-31m7 mobo?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Like Megabytes said, I meant I would not upgrade everything just to get a 720BE.

A Dual Channel kit is where the memory comes as a package together. In other words its better to have matching pairs/or fours

2048Megabytes

After reading thru all the posts on this thread in my opinion I wouldn't buy Windows 7 if I were you. A new operating system won't dramatically increase your performance. A better video card and more RAM would give your system a boost in processing power.

4 gigabytes of RAM will be expensive. I would try to sell your old random access memory. You could probably get around $20 for it.

I have no more time to post presently. I will post more in the future if someone else doesn't answer your questions.

gimmigzgy

my Mobo only has 2 slots that can support up to 2gb@800 each

btw: THANKS megabytes for your opinions, =)

and I'll sell my ram first then buy a dual channel kit of 4gb then buy a new GPU.

and also,

would my microatx of 500w support the HD 4850?

Last edited: