What OS do you use?

Sharnie

What OS do you use? I don't like Vista and I want to get a different OS but I don't know which one to get.

P.S. This ad (below) is not mine I don't want it I'm not affiliated with the company PM me if you know how to get rid of it.

Last edited:

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Well it depends on your needs. If it has to be Windows, XP is pretty much your only other option right now. However, I would consider Linux since its free. I personally would recommend Ubuntu Linux to start off with, it's very easy to use, popular and comes with good support.

I use Ubuntu, great for everyday stuff but Linux in general ain't for gaming, so...

PC eye

banned
I can't even get online with any Linux distro due to the lack of drivers for dsl here while having the latest 64bit 8.10 release of ubuntu ready to go with both XP and Vista alike. The latest release now sees an install option on the initial menu while booted up in Windows compared to the need to boot live off of the cd first without Windows involvement. That was a pleasant surprize seeing that one.

Besides the dual boot of both versions here in order to test a new tool for Vista and dual booting with older versions as well as other OSs XP is remaining still due to some older programs written for that version until their eventual replacement comes about. Of course by that time Windows 7 will likely be out in the first beta releases apparently scheduled for Q2-Q3 of 2009.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
I can't even get online with any Linux distro due to the lack of drivers for dsl here while having the latest 64bit 8.10 release of ubuntu
If you can hook the DSL modem up via Ethernet, you'll be good as long as the NIC has the drivers installed which it usually does (very few NICs refuse to work with the drivers Ubuntu comes with by default).

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
P.S. This ad (below) is not mine I don't want it I'm not affiliated with the company PM me if you know how to get rid of it.

That's an embedded ad. It's suppose to be there.

Firefox + AdBlock Plus = WIN.

Mecal

Currently I have XP Media. But for my computer next year, around August, I'll probably get Vista, or perhaps Windows 7?

PC eye

banned
If you can hook the DSL modem up via Ethernet, you'll be good as long as the NIC has the drivers installed which it usually does (very few NICs refuse to work with the drivers Ubuntu comes with by default).

The connection here goes through a usb port out to a central hub connected direct way of a nik card there. The ISP simply lacks any drivers for other then Windows and Mac for the most on the older setup. 98-Vista with the same usb driver while nothing has been found to work on this setup for any distro. :(

laznz1

I personally use and perfer Windows XP above anything else i have heard alot of good things about Linux Ubuntu

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
The connection here goes through a usb port out to a central hub connected direct way of a nik card there. The ISP simply lacks any drivers for other then Windows and Mac for the most on the older setup. 98-Vista with the same usb driver while nothing has been found to work on this setup for any distro.
Does your router not have the option to hook it up via Ethernet? 'cause it would be really weird if it didn't.

PC eye

banned
Does your router not have the option to hook it up via Ethernet? 'cause it would be really weird if it didn't.

The older setup here sees a usb adapter plug into an RJ-33 jack wired back to the dsl hub itself. The network adapter seen in the device manager is made up of usb composite drivers not Lan or ethernet.

You can see where that is a problem since the use of any 3rd party generic drivers simply wouldn't work leaving Windows or Mac as the two options for OSs to even consider. I still keep different live distros onhand for live work with file retrieval or for the optional 3rd OS.

On Sharnie's question about Solaris I tried getting Solaris 10 running along with XP Pro + Home, 98SE, and later Mandriva 2006 a Linux distro. Something prevented Solaris from running possibly geared for SUN systems being a branded OS while still being UNIX based.

Last edited:
I have heard good things about Linux Ubuntu, but have yet to try it.

I am currently using Windows XP SP3. :D

Had vista didnt like but i had the original 32 bit, SP1, and full of holes Version. How does Vista Ultimate match up to XP?