What OS do you use?

tremmor

Agreed.......OSR2 and 98 2nd edition.
still love my xp though. i don't have to find drivers.
install new hardware and it rocks!
detection is good.

StrangleHold

Staff member
98/98SE was a good OS in its time. ME, well I never really had a problem with it. But ME was just way overloaded, 98SE with System Restore/Movie maker/with 2000 Icons, talk about a mess!! Windows 2000 is/was Microsofts best OS. Hell XP and Vista is nothing but a reworked Windows 2000. XP is 2000/ME I and Vista is 2000/ME II. Hopefully Windows 7 will not be 2000/ME III.

PC eye

banned
I love XP but switched to Windows 7. (Pre-Beta Build 6801)
Its a great OS... compared to Vista.

Checkout the OS new features on this video: http://vimeo.com/2249478

The problem there is that the video is on a pirated copy of a prebeta stage. Any supposedly new looks wouldn't necessarily be seen in the final beta stages let alone the retail product once out. The idea like gadgets moved to the desktop is only in the idea stage not finalized.

It's simply too early to point to anything seen now and state "this is how...". No it isn't! Even when the beta versions come to light there will likely be some last minute changes for the final retail products.

PC eye

banned
You might be surprized to learn that Vista has been extensively compared here due to constant testing and dual booted along with XP as well as the occasion Linux release. I find it a bit more stable since MS took a last look at less then anticipated sales on Vista and gave XP the long awaited fixes seen now only in SP3 to extend XP's life.

Once 7 is out who knows how much longer XP like 98 now discontinued 2000 will see support? MS seems more focused on self maintainence tools like Vista's SuperPrefetch that keeps the fragmentation low on the drive as well as the automatic startup repair tool not seen in any previous version. But some of us still miss that old 98SE stuff anyways like... Duke3D, Doom I+II, RTCW, and... the list goes on and on and... :p

tlarkin

VIP Member
I use the following, most of them pretty frequently:

OS X 10.5.5 (and OS X server)
Windows XP Professional SP2 and sometimes SP3
Windows Server 2k3
SuSe Enterprise Linux
Debian (or Ubuntu)
Vista Ultimate 64

As far as my main use goes, I would say that I use my Mac (10.5.5) and my Vista box the most. With the Vista box mainly being used for internet and gaming. Everything else I typically do on my mac. I am highly disappointed in Vista and think it runs like crap compared to my PC specs, and I get memory leaks and all kinds of stuff after periods of usage on it.

Linux is an OS that most people try and leave behind. It will take time to get really proficient at using it, possibly a year or two. It is different than Windows and 99% of people won't take the time to fully understand how it works. Then you have the people who just boot off live distros and play with it every now and then and say it is OK or they say they like it but they use Windows for over 95% of their computer needs.

XP - is the best Windows OS out right now IMO. If I weren't so lazy when it comes to my own personal machines I would probably toss XP Pro back on my gaming PC.

PC eye

banned
I wouldn't say I strictly run live distros here but still have use for live cds for other things like data rescue when any MS drive is not accessible in Windows or when Windows simply won't load up. Some of the distros like Fedora can get quite involved since those are larger and require a set of cd-rs rather then one typically seen with ubuntu, Zenwalk, Mephis and Gentoo being older as well as Knoppix live and installed.

The newer releases offer simplified methods of installation while tlarkin is on the mark about taking a large amount of time learning how to manually install separate packages you download to the hard drive directly to install from there. For multibooting the best found as far as boot loaders was in Mandriva 2006 where the form of Grub there will detect all OSs installed even on other drives where you simply choose which you want to load from a list at startup.

PC eye

banned
I also have a iMac with 10.5.5 but should I get Ubuntu or OpenSolaris?
(http://www.opensolaris.com/)

ubuntu is an easy to run live or install from disk smaller Linux distro while OpenSolaris is primarily based on Solaris the UNIX based OS for SUN Microsystems being geared for their brand of systems. You won't need a paid subcription for support with any Linux distro while OpenSolaris sees several options for that. Stick with the freebie until you are familiar with the UNIX platform to some degree then decide.

PC eye

banned
They are both actually UNIX based being the original OS platform that these later branched off from. That was the main alternative to the early version of MSDos or Disk Operating System showing how old that was.

tlarkin

VIP Member
OS X is based on BSD 4, but to be fair it is it's own flavor or Unix all together. Apple does things way different than most Unix based OSes, and while the underlying basic technology is there, under the hood it is very different in many ways.

PC eye

banned
Apple/Mac for the most part is intended for Apple/Mac systems as their own brand's OS. The same applies to Solaris for SUN Microsystems also a different UNIX platform there altogether.

Linux sees various server and desktop type distros while each tends to branch off while still having the same basics like the Bash commands and Grub or Lilo boot loader. The popular term for Linux often heard is the "flavor of the month" for that OS.