What OS do you use?

PC eye

banned
On the last build here that saw both XP Pro and Home editions along with trying Vista there plus Mandriva 2006 again and the second failed attempt to get Solaris 10 running. The previous board in that other build was the last to see support for 9X-ME and was reassembled for someone to run 98SE only as a beater case since the board was seeing some odd problems.

With Vista soon to be SP2 now being tested in an early beta form that will be on here for some time to come along with the eventual move into a 64bit edition of Windows 7 when finally out and the eventual elimination of XP probably seeing one or more Linux distros being tried out. At present I'm deciding which drive will see the latest 64bit version of ubuntu 8.10 go on.

As far as Vista's Ultimate that's the premium feature loaded desktop edition there. Vista's Ultimate and Home Premium editions see the largest number of extras before getting into the server Enterprise edition.

PC eye

banned
You will know ssoon enough! :p

Windows 7 or the MS code name "Blackcoumb" or "Vienna" also applied to Server 2008 will be the next version of Windows to follow Vista. Some articles are out supposedly showing what the next version will look like while still in the early stages and pretty much still working off of Vista at the present time until the final preparations for the first beta release.

Many are wondering at this too early to say time whether it will be an improvement over Vista since many don't like the currently latest version. But Many hated XP and simply refused to upgrade out of 98 so many years back.

Well i will be excited to check it out when it is released. I will definitely check out the thread thank you.

You know i was one of those people who did not want to leave 98, i was just comfortable with it.

PC eye

banned
I kept 98SE even had Dos 6.22, 3.1, 95 managing along with XP on the build before the last. I even had some fun with Fedora and a couple of other Linux distros there like Knoppix, Gentoo, Mephis. Zenwalk and ubuntu were later tried live while running the last case here.

I would like to try out some other OS's but dont want to screw with this PC. What benefits do those other ones have? And how popular are they? I want to open a computer shop some time and would like to know if there worth the time learning in and out???

PC eye

banned
Linux whether ubuntu or another distribution is an open source OS being based on the old UNIX platform. The newer releases now are starting to see more support for MS programs and have the Windows look in various ways.

There are also crossover setups where Windows is loaded while being booted in a distro or vice versa using a virtual machine. Here I can run old 8bit dos games and apps while booted in XP or Vista with a virtual dos window seeing a virtual drive mounted with the use of DOSBox a free tool. How about the original 8bit version of...

If I walk into a place like Circuit City and simply ask a Linux question out of the blue to a sales person I get told: "Our tech isn't in today and is kind of our Linux expert.". I wanted to see just what I would get out of the average sales person while simply going in for one specific thing. For Linux you'll want to learn the Bash commands and how to use a console as well as the Grub or Lilo boot loader.

Intel_man

VIP Member
I have in my drawer a 3.1, 95, 98, ME, 2000, and XP.

*the ME came with a laptop my parents bought along time ago.

PC eye

banned
A nice MS mixup I see! :p I still had to add a few Linux items into the mix over the years however. And yes the 6 Win 3.1 floppies and 95 upgrade disk are still lingering around here somewhere along with 98SE.

Intel_man

VIP Member
The 98SE is one of the best OS's ever made by Microsoft.

The Plus edition was really cool. They added a few extras that was somewhat useful. lol

PC eye

banned
On that I think you are referring to the 95 PLUS! edition that saw the OSR2 service pack included for 32bit support Microsoft came out with just prior to 98 1st edition which actually proceeded ME as a flop for the most part. But one thing to know about even with 98SE was the wait on drivers for new hardwares and addon devices then starting to appear on the market. Usb was the new item being seen with 98 seeing the first support for it.

Intel_man

VIP Member
PC eye, this is the one I was talking about.

Win98Plus.jpg

chibicitiberiu

I love XP but switched to Windows 7. (Pre-Beta Build 6801)
Its a great OS... compared to Vista.

Checkout the OS new features on this video: http://vimeo.com/2249478

Better put xp back, because the Beta or in-development versions have lots of bugs and problems.
And it is illegal to distribute copies of windows even if they are not under development. Only beta testers are allowed to have beta copies.

Last edited by a moderator:

PC eye

banned
PC eye, this is the one I was talking about.

Win98Plus.jpg

Just checking. Not too many mention even running the later edition there. You generally hear 98SE but rarely hear about anyone stating they ran that edition. :p Some additional information for anyone not familiar with that one can be looked over at http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/win98_plus98.asp

Better put xp back, because the Beta or in-development versions have lots of bugs and problems.
And it is illegal to distribute copies of windows even if they are not under development. Only beta testers are allowed to have beta copies.

When Vista first saw the RC1 and RC2 beta releases people were jumping on those while not being able to activate them not being MS testers/developers. For Win 7 that's not even in beta form but still in the early stages at this point. RC1 was tried out here briefly as well as other betas like IE 7, WMP 11, later the first beta for IE 8 that messed with XP at the time seeing a reinstall of Windows!

Build 6801 is only availble to those under signed agreements with MS for testing purposes only. I'm in contact with someone working for MS now that simply puts things as: "there has been no official statement made by Microsoft regarding the actual release date of the next version. It's still only in the early prebeta development stages.".