What would you guys like to see in Win7/Microsoft Midori?

jdbennet

idiots at microsft mapped the button on the start that looks like a power button to default to standby instead. To get it to shutdown you gotta click the little arrow and choose whutdown. However, you can change it to (really) shutdown under power policy under control panel.

alexyu

• expensive as hell
  • bloated
  • slow
  • interface is silly
  • menu reorganisation is counter productive (personalise takes so many more mouse clicks than the tabs under properties did)
Agree with the price part.
Do you know what bloatware is? I find all the "bloatware" in Vista very helpful.
Slow because of thrird party apps that run in the background. I run Kasperky Internet Security and utorrent -- it's pretty fast for me.
The interface is way better than XP's. I almost knew perfectly how to use it in 2 hours.
Personalisation is more complex. You couldnt get ANY window color in XP.
Quick Hijack here.

1. Too much spyware (aka phone home ET)
2. Resource hog. (I thought Norton was bad)
3. On a laptop when you shut down it just goes to sleep and doesn't really shut off. If there is a fix for that I haven't found it.

1.Not for me
2.Third party apps or bad hardware
3.Agree

Last edited:

MyCattMaxx

See then? It's a personal issue. I won't use vista. If you like it Great.
Don't expect me to like it because you do!
I wasn't talking about 3rd party apps as the resource hog.
I don't want big brother in my computer but you don't mind.

alexyu

So Microsoft made Vista something personal :suspicious:. Intersting... How did they manage to do it?

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
in the new Windows i would like to see it completly revamped.

not look like previous versions of windows with the start button down the bottom.

a better built in antispyware thats free to download and recieve updates,afterall its their os so they should help protect it from nastys.

(Windows defender is crap)

Yes i am going to say....make it eat less ram,some days i have some music running,have a few pages open on FF and its eating 1.3Gb of ram :rolleyes:

Make Media centre more compatible with diffrent USB tv sticks,mine does not work in vista yet it says vista compatible!!!!
neither does the software supplied with the disk work,it just crashes.

Basicly just dont make it like Vista,im not bashing vista i do like it but theres just been alot of problems for me.

also my last suggestion to MS

Dont put rediculas price tags on release.....im not going to be paying £150 for a new version of windows!

jdbennet

i wish the classic theme in vista looked more natural.

all the other themes apart from aero look really out of place in vista.

RRA_Incognito

i wish the classic theme in vista looked more natural.

all the other themes apart from aero look really out of place in vista.
I literally giggled, and i don't know why.
You complain that a 10 year old design looks out of place in a new operating system, then you complain that the new theme looks better than the alternative themes that are less resource intensive.

I just don't understand your logic.

And, the XP classic window features remind me of a goth 80's streetwalker's haircolor.
http://www.uwec.edu/Help/ExcelXP/Images/dialog/frmtabcolor.gif

whizkidd

How about command line based interface, skinnable GUI, OPTIONAL GUI, Virtualization, more integration with the Internet while still remaining usable without it, lower price, software-level optimization, built in antivirus, firewall, and antimalware programs, firefox (like that'll ever happen) thunderbird, two versions, one optimized for x86 architecture and one optimized for x64 architecture, modular codebase, free office software, integration with Live Mesh, give me a week with vista and i'll have a few million more.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
What do I want to see in 7/Midori?

No more online activation BS
No DRM
XP or smaller-sized memory footprint

Yes, I'm dreaming.

Tom

Droogie

• expensive as hell
  • bloated
  • slow
  • interface is silly
  • menu reorganisation is counter productive (personalise takes so many more mouse clicks than the tabs under properties did)

How is Vista too expensive? You can get Home Premium 64 bit for $110.00 on Newegg. And Ultimate is like $170.00. But I agree with Nevakonaza, there needs to be better built in anti-spyware / virus protection.

MyCattMaxx

How is Vista too expensive? You can get Home Premium 64 bit for $110.00 on Newegg. And Ultimate is like $170.00. But I agree with Nevakonaza, there needs to be better built in anti-spyware / virus protection.

Vista is full of phone home type spyware.

chibicitiberiu

I expect from windows 7 (codename Vienna, Blackcomb, etc) to be less crappy than vista, no more "glass effect" which just slows down your computer, no more useless sidebar turned on by default, faster because when I tried vista few months after release I was moving a file on the same partition (in xp takes less a second, no matter how big the file is) took maybe few minutes.
But, maybe that is the "improvement" in vista, slowness because of useless things.