What would you guys like to see in Win7/Microsoft Midori?

RRA_Incognito

I expect from windows 7 (codename Vienna, Blackcomb, etc) to be less crappy than vista, no more "glass effect" which just slows down your computer, no more useless sidebar turned on by default, faster because when I tried vista few months after release I was moving a file on the same partition (in xp takes less a second, no matter how big the file is) took maybe few minutes.
But, maybe that is the "improvement" in vista, slowness because of useless things.

I personally love the glass effect, but that's b/c i'm insanely OCD'd out about little details.

It's optional though, and they'll probably offer a low impact pretty alternative.

patrickv

no more "glass effect" which just slows down your computer, no more useless sidebar turned on by default, faster because when I tried vista few months after release I was moving a file on the same partition (in xp takes less a second, no matter how big the file is) took maybe few minutes.
But, maybe that is the "improvement" in vista, slowness because of useless things.
Yeah i really hate the glass effect even the shitty Aero.
we want a solid OS not a visual one.. you don't get anything out of eye candy.

Lol. There's a girl named midori in school.

hahaah maybe she was the one they took the name out from....

I expect that so call windows 7 to be less of a ram hog than vista and remove all that fancy BS Aero stuff keep it plain and simple

Bob Jeffery

lol the average consumer likes eye candy. Thats the problem. Microsoft is going to build 7 for the "average" person. Not computer intelligent people like us :)

Tuffie

How about a different name than Midori?

How about Midori, Midori, drunk?

Also I think people should stop worrying about GUI, I mean really it's a minor part of the software. On a non complaning side of things, I would like to see Win7 not so bloated, I mean 15Gb's of OS? Really I mean come on! I know there's many people using 20-40Gb hardrives (even users here!).

Last edited:

chibicitiberiu

Well, I've got an idea. Why don't the intelligent people use linux (personally I like Ubuntu), create games for this platform, and leave microsoft to create their own games "for their average users"? Also less and less software for windows, more for ubuntu. It's safer and less bloated. Ubuntu has even cooler eye candy (with enhanced effects) and it doesn't affect the performance of the operating system. Even more, it's FREE.

Motoxrdude

I'd like to see microsoft do away with registries. They promised to have done it with xp but I guess something got messed up in translation.

jdbennet

I mean 15Gb's of OS?

i dont honestly know how its so large, i just upgraded my home lan, and a clean server 2008 install seems to be half of that.

also i like the registry. Holding everything in loads of text files like UNIX systems do would be pointless.

Last edited:

Tuffie

Well, I've got an idea. Why don't the intelligent people use linux (personally I like Ubuntu), create games for this platform, and leave microsoft to create their own games "for their average users"? Also less and less software for windows, more for ubuntu. It's safer and less bloated. Ubuntu has even cooler eye candy (with enhanced effects) and it doesn't affect the performance of the operating system. Even more, it's FREE.

Compatibility, compatibility, compatibility.

jdbennet

the registry works pretty well

as a whole windows works pretty well actually. 95% of problems arent due to core OS bugs, but to misconfiguration, 3rd party apps or drivers, or user stupidity

linux doesnt have this problem because it has hardly any commercial apps, hardly any closed source drivers and all its users are a notch above the standard windows one

but i tell you, if you use a windows system as intended, and be careful with your non-ms apps and drivers, you can have a rock solid machine.

Motoxrdude

the registry works pretty well

as a whole windows works pretty well actually. 95% of problems arent due to core OS bugs, but to misconfiguration, 3rd party apps or drivers, or user stupidity

linux doesnt have this problem because it has hardly any commercial apps, hardly any closed source drivers and all its users are a notch above the standard windows one

but i tell you, if you use a windows system as intended, and be careful with your non-ms apps and drivers, you can have a rock solid machine.

Sure, in theory registries are a good idea, but in reality they aren't. It's like a tangled spiderweb and there are a considerable amount of registries that contradict eachother. The fact that windows still relies on registries is a wonder.
O and windows kernal is pretty much at blame. Never have I had a kernal panic with linux but countless times with windows. Not trying to bash one or the other but just saying linux kernal is pretty much rock solid compared to windows.

jdbennet

i disagree

my windows server has had an uptime of nearly 4 years

90% of windows BSODs are due to the fact that most drivers, and the GUI run in kernel space. That way if the GUI dies, the system dies, unlike in linux, where you can just restart X, which runs in application space

whizkidd

That's because Linux is essentially what Windows aspires to be, a modular Kernel...you can get Linux alone, or with a GUI that can be skinned and customized to your needs, and linux can have a load of extra modules attached or nothing.