Which Brand of Camera Do You Own? (Poll)

Which brand(s) of camera do you own?

• Total voters

spirit

Staff member
Especially when you shoot in RAW, noise correction isn't a very big issue. But some cameras are better at high ISO's than others.

Yeah. Can I ask you something about noise reduction and RAW? Call me an idiot, but are there any tools in Lightroom which reduce noise? I'll have a look to see, but I wondered if anybody here knew of any?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Yeah. Can I ask you something about noise reduction and RAW? Call me an idiot, but are there any tools in Lightroom which reduce noise? I'll have a look to see, but I wondered if anybody here knew of any?

I don't use Lightroom. I use the RAW editor in CS6 and it has noise reduction in that.

Fatback

VIP Member
I own a Sony A300 DSLR which I love but it's getting a bit dated now. I don't have the money to upgrade right now so I have to stick with it. I also owned a Sony A230 which was one of my favorite cameras I've owned but I broke it.

I like Sony for various reasons if I ever went to another brand it would be Pentax with out question. Unless I for some reason went pro and started working for high paying clients I would might go to Canon. Which would be mostly because now a days people(who know nothing about photography of course) don't think your a serious photographer or have the gear capable of professional photography unless it has the Canon or Nikon logo that they all know.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Same, they're nice cameras. I like the K-30. Weather sealed and great spec all for about £450. :)

If I hadn't gone Canon and gotten a good deal on my 50D I probably would have gone Pentax K-5 or K-30.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
If I hadn't gone Canon and gotten a good deal on my 50D I probably would have gone Pentax K-5 or K-30.

There's a few reasons why I chose my D3200 over the K-30. Firstly I'd like to record video and the K-30 didn't have an external mic jack whereas the D3200 did, and the D3200 was cheaper and had a higher resolution (yes, I know megapixels don't matter that much but it's just nice to have). Otherwise, I probably would've chosen the K-30. It's weather sealed too, good for our British weather. It was absolutely tipping it down in London the other day when I went, and I was thinking to myself "hmm maybe I should have gotten the K-30" haha. :D

Justin

VIP Member
I went the Canon route because my sister had a 450D(XSi) that I would play around with. So when I decided to buy my own DSLR, a 1000D (XS), everything was familiar. Now I have a 60D and don't have any plans on upgrading in the near future since I've stopped photographing (as a hobby) for a few months now. Still use it for work.

spirit

Staff member
What did you think of the 1000D? I was going to go for an 1100D originally, but people tried to steer more towards better bodies (550Ds and D3100s and stuff). I saw why when I tried an 1100D out. :/

Justin

VIP Member
Great beginners camera. I found it limiting in ISO performance (max: 1600) and the autofocus (1 crosstype in the middle) which is why I bought a 60D. I was taking photos for a band last year with the 1000D and in all of the venues there was little to no light. When I bought the 60D to get better photos, they announced that the band was splitting up. However I shot their last gig with the 60D and it was 100x better than the 1000D.

EvanK

Nice upgrade, I used a 1000D while my D7000 was in the shop, and while it was a decent camera ISO 1600 was getting unusable. You'll love the 60D coming from an older camera like that.

Speaking of being in the shop, my D7000's being sent back to Nikon in Montréal. I sent it in about 2 months ago because off camera flash wan't functioning properly. I got it back about 2 weeks ago, and now it's not working again. Hopefully this time it'll be fixed, and hopefully the repair won't take 6 weeks this time. Oh well, back to the 1000D...