• Power PC

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • other (specify)

Votes: 9 1.2%

• Total voters

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
yeah, who eats cake with no frosting? Thats like pie with no whipped cream. Or bomb with no nuclear...:D

And a 1.8GHz Athlon64 real advantage is for gaming not office type applications so it "smacking around a p4" is debatable. I find AMD is only the cheaper build if you are going for "top of the line" otherwise they are about the same

hbcao2004

Intel is really a stable and multi-tasking CPU. And AMD is a gaming CPU at a low price. But since you don't play game, I would highly suggest a Sempron 3100+. http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=19-104-207&DEPA=1
only $115.00 at Newegg.
Sempron 3100+ is actually very different from the rest of the Sempron family. It is 15% better in average performance than the Sempron 3000+. Researcher proved the average of the Sempron 3100+ is better than an AMD XP 2800+. And the Sempron 3100+ has almost reached the P4 2.8. I would high suggest you to get the AMD Sempron 3100+. It is fast and cheap, beside you dont use it for gaming anyway.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
hbcao2004 said:
And AMD is a gaming CPU at a low price. But since you don't play game, I would highly suggest a Sempron 3100+.
...so your saying AMD is a gamers CPU and since he doesn't game you recommend an AMD :confused:
lol that will really limit the confusion

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
can you even buy a non-HT P4 anymore?
Yes.... you want one? ;)

actually a 1.8Ghz s939 amd 64 will smack around a 2.6Ghz p4 any day of the week.
Except that's a meaningless comparison because you're comparing cross-generation machines.

and their good memory bandwith but memory bandwith it's really a huge deciding factor, just the frosting on top of the cake
1. Memory is everything
2. If intel has such good memory bandwidth ... why reccomend AMD?

I find AMD is only the cheaper build if you are going for "top of the line" otherwise they are about the same
I concurr with the exception of the the low end chips maybe ... Semprons and Cel-Ds are about evenly priced.

Intel is really a stable and multi-tasking CPU. And AMD is a gaming CPU at a low price
1/ Both are stable CPUS
2/ AMD is more of a business oriented platform if you think about it ... there's more uses for 64bit stuff (at least now) for work-related apps than for games :)

Sempron 3100+ is actually very different from the rest of the Sempron family. It is 15% better in average performance than the Sempron 3000+. Researcher proved the average of the Sempron 3100+ is better than an AMD XP 2800+.
You could have just said 'the Sempron3100 is a Socket754 part' ;)

And the Sempron 3100+ has almost reached the P4 2.8. I would high suggest you to get the AMD Sempron 3100+. It is fast and cheap, beside you dont use it for gaming anyway.
Compared to the other semprons the mobo for the 3100 is significantly more expensvie

lumpa22

Damn AMD Headz!

Just cause you are low in money don't buy into the hype! I have to deal with actual humans that buy this crap and they yell and curse when they buy AMD (non 64.) Check the global charts friends, the regular, non geek tweaked AMD is not fairing well. I had a 71 year old who wanted to just get E mail return their Semperon from my biz (A $200 dollar tower) cause it couldn't get up and go to their MSN! Remember not every one is a geek that visits these boards. If giving advise act like the reciever is eight untill you can get proof they know what they are up too. (by the way some of yall done told persons to come see this here forum and ticked em off when you over-geeked the answers. sorry no offense but get outside and stop typeing long enough to see the world is not ones and zero's.) Have a nice day.

4W4K3

VIP Member
lumpa22 said:
(by the way some of yall done told persons to come see this here forum and ticked em off when you over-geeked the answers. sorry no offense but get outside and stop typeing long enough to see the world is not ones and zero's.) Have a nice day.

some of us are here a matter of minutes in the day. i jsut got back from seeing "christmas with the kranks" and last night i went to see the play "a christmas carol" in downtown dallas. it's a busy time of year. Just cuz' we know alot about computer doesn't mean we spend every waking minute on them. im sure you realize this...but for a first post it seemed somewhat vague as to who you were addressing.

welcome to the forums:) i'm sure you will find useful information when you want it.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
4W4K3 said:
lol, well you might have a good reason to be on a computer all the time. i don't...yet :p
...besides being a hobby of mine... ...its my job :D

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Check the global charts friends, the regular, non geek tweaked AMD is not fairing well.
If you check the "global charts" whetever the hell those are, non geek tweaked Intels arent fairing well either. Why? Because you cant tweak a processor.

I had a 71 year old who wanted to just get E mail return their Semperon from my biz (A $200 dollar tower) cause it couldn't get up and go to their MSN!
You started off seemingly with some technical knowhow but now I have to ask... are you a techo-weenie or a sale-rep? Cuz any techno dude would know a CPU has no bearing on the ability to connect to MSN

If giving advise act like the reciever is eight untill you can get proof they know what they are up too.
Which is why im asking you if you have any technical knowhow whatsoever

sorry no offense but get outside and stop typeing long enough to see the world is not ones and zero's
Just because you enjoy the outside world doesnt mean everyone else has to live the way you do.

lumpa22

4W4K3 said:
some of us are here a matter of minutes in the day. i jsut

oooops you typed too fast beatche! sorry but you still need t tell the masses why AMD is better. All though this is esentialy a personal choice we need to expand. Are you really a post surgical trans....sorry.... tell us the truth about your stats. I would like to see to contrast what AMD has given to me.

4W4K3

VIP Member
lumpa22 said:
4W4K3 said:
some of us are here a matter of minutes in the day. i jsut

oooops you typed too fast beatche! sorry but you still need t tell the masses why AMD is better. All though this is esentialy a personal choice we need to expand. Are you really a post surgical trans....sorry.... tell us the truth about your stats. I would like to see to contrast what AMD has given to me.

???you make no sense???

you called me something...but i don't know what.

You asked me to "explain my stats"...you mean my signature? It's a Mobile 2600+ running at 2.4-2.6GHz (tweaking as PSU is giving out, currently 2.4GHz)

You want to know why AMD is better? Or why i chose it myself personally? I chose AMD because it is cheaper than Intel, and gives me ~the same performance for what i use. It was also what was popular at the time of purchase so i was convinced to go with a Mobile XP chip. Now i might have gone with a P4 if i REALLY knew about computers at the time and had a bigger budget, but i was eager to get an overclocking setup. At this time i still am a big AMD fan and am saving for an A64 rig, becasue they are fast, then next wave of technology, and probably will be the standard in years to come.

And it's not my job to "tell the masses" just because i am an AMD customer. I buy my products for myself and hold my opinion on no one. If they ask, then i will tell, but i don't need to convince them or convert them to buy AMD for any reason...

Corsair

I have been an Intel guy until I bought this puter. I originally started out with a 60 mhz pentium if you can believe it. I actually got one of the ones that had the floating point error in the original pentiums. Intel replaced it free of charge.

I have never had problems with any of my pentiumn chips, and the only reason I bought this is price. I have no brand loyalty but if I have problems with this Athlon XP ill probably get brand loyalty and go back to Intel.

B4 this comp I always had the impression that Intel chips were the bulletproof ones, now I dont know what to think. If this athlon holds out and the prices stay lower than the prices of comparable Intel chips ill probably become an athlon man.

My 2 cents...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I actually got one of the ones that had the floating point error in the original pentiums. Intel replaced it free of charge.
LOL sweet!

AMD Athlon XP 3200 (2100 mhz)
Yell at HP... the XP3200 should be running at 2.2Ghz

@Lumpa
Get your act together or you're a goner

lumpa22

Which is why im asking you if you have any technical knowhow whatsoever

Hmm Praetor... lets see...

I work for a good size Chain store that sells off all things this thing called a computer. I have been working with computers for several years and at times like to get all geeky and "mess" with the system. I have at times taken a broken down, old model, otherwise time watch and played with it till it ran numbers then chernobled. I may not sound like I's got da knowledge and stuff but then as the tag says I is a "newbie" and as such gosh tookering I may be not as hard edged and knowledgforth as you. Actually in some sense I may know alot but worry when people place too much emphasis on brand ownership versus actually enjoying the use of a computer. So sorry if I offend but isn't the whole reason that we tinker with these stupid boxes is to see who can do the best with what? Oh well back to the hater state and be blasted for thinkin. Buh bye! (oh yeah I am not a sales person for a processor or do I sell chips. I do have a soul.)

lumpa22

4W4K3 said:
???you make no sense???

Sorry 4whatever I did not mean to confuse you. Add some xmas chear and 'hiccup' I was a ready to play. Well kid I'm glad you buy your product and don't steal em like the other urchins out there. But alas I seem to have offended you and as a good ol human (that was born in Fort Hood) I will apologize. I accept that you bought what you could and such but like the others out there be carefull if you tell others to do this and that. Some dumb arse like me might hear it. And if you had at the time just spent 45 minutes with some one that asked too many questions and couldn't be convinced that Dell was robbing them blind then you may also have fealt the pain. (you know that some _ell employees admit that their 20% return for defective goods is real and by reg white box to get around this.) Oh well I have speant my ten minutes here and must be there. I'm not OCD I have to pee.

4W4K3

VIP Member
lumpa22 said:
4W4K3 said:
???you make no sense???

Sorry 4whatever I did not mean to confuse you. Add some xmas chear and 'hiccup' I was a ready to play. Well kid I'm glad you buy your product and don't steal em like the other urchins out there. But alas I seem to have offended you and as a good ol human (that was born in Fort Hood) I will apologize. I accept that you bought what you could and such but like the others out there be carefull if you tell others to do this and that. Some dumb arse like me might hear it. And if you had at the time just spent 45 minutes with some one that asked too many questions and couldn't be convinced that Dell was robbing them blind then you may also have fealt the pain. (you know that some _ell employees admit that their 20% return for defective goods is real and by reg white box to get around this.) Oh well I have speant my ten minutes here and must be there. I'm not OCD I have to pee.

???

Apology accepted.

Something about me convincing someone else not to buy Dell? I have 1 custom computer and 2 manufactured (emachines and HP), i am not biased towards any company just cuz' i hear it's bad. I don;t prefer Dell cuz' when i ordered my Axim, it took over 3 months to get delivered, there customer supprot hung up on me 1 time, and the overall quality of there products is below what i expect. Samll points to some maybe, but they really turned me off from Dell...

Something about Dell's return policy...and you having to pee?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I work for a good size Chain store that sells off all things this thing called a computer. I have been working with computers for several years and at times like to get all geeky and "mess" with the system. I have at times taken a broken down, old model, otherwise time watch and played with it till it ran numbers then chernobled. I may not sound like I's got da knowledge and stuff but then as the tag says I is a "newbie" and as such gosh tookering I may be not as hard edged and knowledgforth as you. Actually in some sense I may know alot but worry when people place too much emphasis on brand ownership versus actually enjoying the use of a computer. So sorry if I offend but isn't the whole reason that we tinker with these stupid boxes is to see who can do the best with what? Oh well back to the hater state and be blasted for thinkin. Buh bye! (oh yeah I am not a sales person for a processor or do I sell chips. I do have a soul.)
Thats all very well and nice and your idea of "give advice like you're talking to an 8 year old until otherwise noted" is a semi-good idea except when you flip the perspective around (hypotehtically of course), why should I belittle people to the point of an 8 year old? Or another perspective: not all 8 year olds are technologically inept as you make them out to be.

Actually in some sense I may know alot but worry when people place too much emphasis on brand ownership versus actually enjoying the use of a computer.
1. Execept you were the one to tell us to look at the global charts....
2. Given your somewhat apparent technical background, you should be quite aware already that the ability to MSN is not related to the processor present on the system.... ;)

lumpa22

Hey when you have to pee then... Well 4, and bye the way you are well scripted for a 16 year old, sorry if you bought an E machine but hey at least you learned. And the same for Dell, dude you get burned once then you learn but then again learn to type or at least relax when replying cause you typed like drunk 30 year old (gulp....ahhh) when you replied to me. Nice sig by the way. Kinda confusing, over geeking, but also weird. Have fun Buddy.