Votes: 262 35.7%
  • Power PC

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • other (specify)

Votes: 9 1.2%

• Total voters

SFR

Truth fears no questions
AS an AMD hater (only kidding!!!.. but... I do like Intel) I looked at my first PC made by Cybermax in I think 96 or 97 and low and behold.. its an AMD and I loved that old machine!

I think for games AMD seems the to be the choice but for servers I will never use anything but Intel Xeon.

4W4K3

VIP Member
I traded my AMD 450mhz for my sisters P3 600mhz. the AMd lag's like crap..and i have no idea why. the Intel flies...faster than the 900mhz laptop lol. i can't figure it out.

4W4K3

VIP Member
My AMD system beats any of the computers in my house lol. But the fastest Intel we have is a 1.2ghz i believe. the other 12 are older or also AMD.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
Nice trade :)

yah she wanted my AMD...for w/e reason. Got a fully loaded P3 600/512MB PC133 now running XP Pro SP2...folding right now:)

The AMD was an AMD XFA475-K62 (65C/2.2v/321pin ceramic PGP/475mhz) i think she'll be mad at me bcuz it runs so slow. :(

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
alot of people turn HT off...why is that?
A lot people vote........... ;) (and to answer ur question, it seems disabled in BIOS by default by some boards)

I think for games AMD seems the to be the choice but for servers I will never use anything but Intel Xeon.
Your loss :)

ZER0X

VIP Member
I'd love to get my hand on an AMD CPU anything above 2400mhz
but I got a cheap "BUT still good" cpu Intel Celeron 2700mhz

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Praetor said:

Your loss

LOL!

YOU ARE definitely smitten with AMD...

I have nothing bad to say about AMD. But I love my little (well not so little) HP. She works hard and never complains... But when I mess with her.. she does bite! :eek:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
YOU ARE definitely smitten with AMD...
Well between a Xeon and an Athlon in a home environment ... not a hard decision :) Even for smaller servers, i tend to route Opterons. The Xeons dont really flex their might until you get some really big SMPs like Sharcnet (http://www.sharcnet.ca/about.php), an inter university project :)

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Praetor said:
Well between a Xeon and an Athlon in a home environment ... not a hard decision :) Even for smaller servers, i tend to route Opterons. The Xeons dont really flex their might until you get some really big SMPs like Sharcnet (http://www.sharcnet.ca/about.php), an inter university project :)

Yes but we are not talking about a home environment..

My HP is going to be taking the place of two of my older computers that run a network and a website with a small (but growing) database .

SFR

Truth fears no questions
yeah yeah yeah...

Who do you think you are!?!??! ADMIN?

I dont see a real need for a high performance server in the home environment anyway.

...lol

4W4K3

VIP Member
SFR said:
I dont see a real need for a high performance server in the home environment anyway.l

I do...if its monitoring 15 other computers, an email server, a website, remotely accessing work, acting as a filter/firewall, so much more...i would want it to be fast. We have 2 dual P3's doing that and they're at there limits lol.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
4W4K3 said:
I do...if its monitoring 15 other computers, an email server, a website, remotely accessing work, acting as a filter/firewall, so much more...i would want it to be fast. We have 2 dual P3's doing that and they're at there limits lol.

okay that is a little more than an everyday home computing environment.

(I should have used the word "everyday" home user.. because for most people they are not even close to needing the kind of resources you need.)

Hey I finally got my Mandrake 10.1 installed on my older HP. Finally I can start messing around with it!