• I 'Hate' Vista and don't use it

Votes: 29 13.6%
  • I 'Hate' Vista but I still use it

Votes: 18 8.4%
  • I Don't mind it

Votes: 70 32.7%
  • I Love it

Votes: 64 29.9%
  • My cat's breath smells like cat food...

Votes: 33 15.4%

• Total voters

sam2020

it murdered my laptop

i upgraded my laptop (e systems 2gb ram 120gb hdd intel celeron) to vista. it worked fine for a few minutes... then died. litterally froze and did nothing. after rebooting, i got nothing but blue screen of death. i had to reformat my hdd back to XP and i lost all my files.

eckx

It could be because your installation didnt go well. I had the same issue once when i upgraded from xp to vista. The best thing to do is split the hd to a 20 gb and a 110 gb. Thus you have enough place to stash your music and videos. Keep the 20 gb only for windows .

Last edited by a moderator:

ikermalli

I <3 vista
It is amazing (well I like it better than xp)!
I just find that after a while of running it on 1GB of RAM, you are screwed if you aren't just word processing.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I have a decent PC spec wise and Vista Ultimate 64 runs kind of slow in my opinion for how my computer is configured. I notice lags and sometimes things do not run first time smoothly, like when browsing the web.

smoothjk

Vista is fine if you have a good computer.

For me, having XP Pro is a personal choice. I prefer not to waste ANY resources (however small the difference) on the OS that I can direct to apps and games. Until Vista or some other OS offers noticeably improved features that are useful and not just pretty, I'm sticking with XP Pro.

But I use Vista at work, and I don't see anything to "hate."

patrickv

I don't hate VIsta, it just does not suit my needs.
My thinkpad supports vista and i installed it, hang onto it for 4 months but i wasn't as efficient as when i had XP loaded on it.
Within those 4 months i didn't see any BSOD which is a plus but the lag, even though i configured it for performance and removed the sidebar and sh*t.
The file copy dialog is full of bullsh*t, takes ages.

lovely?

Vista is a good thing. When i wanted to get a new operating system i wanted it to look good as well as function as good or better then XP. And I am pleasantly surprised with vista.

bomberboysk

Yeah, well one thing i hate about vista is soon its gonna be replaced by windows 7, thats why XP became so popular, it had time to get into the market, now weve had vista for appx 2 years and within the next year or so windows 7 will prolly be released. I dont really like vista or hate it, only reason i have it is for dx10;)

uhv2200

OK , I hate Vista because the IPX Protocol is not found , Must Multplayer Games are need this protocol to work correctly , I don't Know Why Microsoft do this It's Perfect windows but this the only issu iI found in it , and Bey .....

tlarkin

VIP Member
OK , I hate Vista because the IPX Protocol is not found , Must Multplayer Games are need this protocol to work correctly , I don't Know Why Microsoft do this It's Perfect windows but this the only issu iI found in it , and Bey .....

uh what game? IPX is an old legacy Novell standard. Networking now is straight TCP/IP or IP if you will instead of IPX. What game needs IPX?

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
What game needs IPX?
Well, some legacy ones - Duke Nukem 3D and Doom for one (okay, you can't even play those in vista, but wth...).

I personally like IPX much better for games - in games literally all I need to do is to choose the IPX protocol (back in 98SE days when I spent hours bashing my brothers in Age of Empires and Stronghold). Now, though, many games require you to type in the host address, and having to know the host IP/name and typing it in every time I want to bash my brothers is really annoying, and the search feature in heaps of games doesn't even work (dammit...). And I'm the type who loves old classics - I have two desktops with 98SE ready for some gaming over IPX but I have no room to set up those things :( so we have to use our laptops...with Vista, and the lack of IPX is a nuisance at times.

lovely?

big? no way its less clunky then XP.

slow? lol get a decent computer running a PIII on XP seems pretty silly too.

the setup is seamless if you get used to it. i for one think the new search function in the start bar is genius i use it for all of my less popular programs.

dear god have i become a fanboy?????

tlarkin

VIP Member
Well, some legacy ones - Duke Nukem 3D and Doom for one (okay, you can't even play those in vista, but wth...).

I personally like IPX much better for games - in games literally all I need to do is to choose the IPX protocol (back in 98SE days when I spent hours bashing my brothers in Age of Empires and Stronghold). Now, though, many games require you to type in the host address, and having to know the host IP/name and typing it in every time I want to bash my brothers is really annoying, and the search feature in heaps of games doesn't even work (dammit...). And I'm the type who loves old classics - I have two desktops with 98SE ready for some gaming over IPX but I have no room to set up those things :( so we have to use our laptops...with Vista, and the lack of IPX is a nuisance at times.

IPX is still old and busted, and I think you can most likely install legacy protocols on OSes. Even go as far as to try a virtual network adapter.

However, IPX is an old and busted technology and supporting backwards compatibility already adds to the huge bloat that is Vista. They need to cut that stuff off at one point and roll with the new. Apple does this, and yes it sucks because it causes all your developers to patch their software or make a new product, but it also makes the platform perform better.

robina_80

ive had it ever since jan and ive had 2 issues with it that ive worked round them 1 it doesnt support game ports but no biggie and the other i had to buy new nero coz my old nero keeped on producing window errors when i played a video