WiFi cards and transfers

golden member

Lets talk about the wireless thing, transmissions and speed.

I ve recently got a 300mbps router. I have 2 PC. I need 2 wireless cards of 300mbps each in order to have highest possible speed when I transfer files between them, right?

Right now, I had a pci card of 54mbps in the first pc, and I just bought temporarily this usb card of 150mbps in the second pc.
So my current speed is 54mbps.

Shall I see big difference if I get two 300mbps cards? Or maybe I should just replace the 54mbps card with a 150/300mbps one?

Last edited:

ninjabubbles3

Please for dear god don't get the same WiFi card I have, it sucks way to much and its a waste of money and gets like 3 Mbps. Maybe get a nicer Asus, but not this one for sure

golden member

Yes.

Yes. You will get the max speed supported by your router.

Right now, if I transfer a file of 150MB I need 90''-120'', how much time shall I need if I get 300mbps cards?

Another question is if the folders will open quicklier. You know, if its a folder with many files in it, f.e. 50 movies, you need some time to see them all.

Please for dear god don't get the same WiFi card I have, it sucks way to much and its a waste of money and gets like 3 Mbps. Maybe get a nicer Asus, but not this one for sure

Which is your card?

Geoff

VIP Member
Lets talk about the wireless thing, transmissions and speed.

I ve recently got a 300mbps router. I have 2 PC. I need 2 wireless cards of 300mbps each in order to have highest possible speed when I transfer files between them, right?

Right now, I had a pci card of 54mbps in the first pc, and I just bought temporarily this usb card of 150mbps in the second pc.
So my current speed is 54mbps.

Shall I see big difference if I get two 300mbps cards? Or maybe I should just replace the 54mbps card with a 150/300mbps one?
The max speed listed on wireless cards is the theoretical max speed you can achieve, however that depends on the signal strength and signal-to-noise ratio between your access point and client. Generally, you will only get the max speed if you are in the same room, or otherwise very close, the speed drops significantly as you get further away.

Do you know how fast your internet is? If you only have say, 25Mbps download, and you are currently connected at 54Mbps, then no, as far as internet goes you won't notice a difference. However if your internet is faster than what you can get now, and/or you transfer files over your WLAN then yes you would notice the difference.

If you are going to buy a new wireless adapter, look at getting a dual-band 802.11n or 802.11ac wireless adapter.

You should tell us what you have.

golden member

The max speed listed on wireless cards is the theoretical max speed you can achieve, however that depends on the signal strength and signal-to-noise ratio between your access point and client. Generally, you will only get the max speed if you are in the same room, or otherwise very close, the speed drops significantly as you get further away.

I want to know what happens in real, not theoretically. If the difference is zero or too small then I wont buy anything.
Router is some meters away from my pc s and through a wall and a door.
Right now I have--> router 300mbps, card 54mbps, card 150mbps. The transfer speed for a file of 150MB is 90''-120'', is it a good speed?

Do you know how fast your internet is? If you only have say, 25Mbps download, and you are currently connected at 54Mbps, then no, as far as internet goes you won't notice a difference. However if your internet is faster than what you can get now, and/or you transfer files over your WLAN then yes you would notice the difference.

My internet is theoritically 24mbps(18 in real) but we are talking for wireless transfers between 2 pc in a local network. Has something to do with?

beers

Staff member
The transfer speed for a file of 150MB is 90''-120'', is it a good speed?

Transfer rate is a lot easier to compare with. 150 MB in 90 seconds is ~1.67 MB/sec, which in bits is 13.36 mbit.

Transfer rate depends a lot on other factors. If you are transferring wireless client to wireless client, the rate is going to be a lot lower than a wired client to a wireless client based on CDMA/CA among others. A large impact of performance is also other wireless traffic on your channel or surrounding channels that interfere with your portion of the spectrum.

I'd at least upgrade the 802.11g card (54 mbps) to 802.11n. The difference between 150 and 300 mbps is that the latter utilizes multiple spatial streams to increase bandwidth.

golden member

I'd at least upgrade the 802.11g card (54 mbps) to 802.11n. The difference between 150 and 300 mbps is that the latter utilizes multiple spatial streams to increase bandwidth.

I have no idea about these terms. What do u suggest me to do? Stay as I am? Get one/two 300mbps cards? Get a 150mpbs card to pair it with the 150one I already have?
Will I see faster speed in file transfers? Will the folders open quicklier?

beers

Staff member
What is your performance expectation? That may give you a better indication of either how you should do things or what pieces to start looking at if you can't do that with what you have. (Personally I don't like waiting on anything under 500 MB/s ;) )

golden member

What is your performance expectation? That may give you a better indication of either how you should do things or what pieces to start looking at if you can't do that with what you have. (Personally I don't like waiting on anything under 500 MB/s ;) )

Well, I said my devices, I said my speed, I said what I need.
So whats the answer about the wireless cards? Keep what I have or go for 150/300 ones?

beers

Staff member
You only really said 'I want faster', and not really specifying at what point would be 'fast enough'.

Personally I would just do wired transfers. Otherwise you'll see better transfer rates with 300 & 300, but wireless-to-wireless performance isn't going to be worth the cost.

Geoff

VIP Member
Well, I said my devices, I said my speed, I said what I need.
So whats the answer about the wireless cards? Keep what I have or go for 150/300 ones?
I wouldn't upgrade to a 300Mbps 2.4GHz N card, I would get at least a dual-band N, preferably 802.11ac, then upgrade your router.

golden member

You only really said 'I want faster', and not really specifying at what point would be 'fast enough'.

Personally I would just do wired transfers.

I want fast speed in files transfers between my 2 pc.
Must be faster than what I now have, and faster enough to worth the cost.
How much faster is card 54+card 150 against card 150/300+card 150/300?
Faster cards can make folders open quicklier? Thats important to me. Or it is a matter of fast disk?

We are not talking for wired now. Only wireless.

I wouldn't upgrade to a 300Mbps 2.4GHz N card, I would get at least a dual-band N, preferably 802.11ac, then upgrade your router.

Plz make it easier, dont use terms like 2.4ghz, dual-band, 802.11ac.

Router is new and wont change.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
I want fast speed in files transfers between my 2 pc.
Must be faster than what I now have, and faster enough to worth the cost.
How much faster is card 54+card 150 against card 150/300+card 150/300?

We are not talking for wired now. Only wireless.

Plz make it easier, dont use terms like 2.4ghz, dual-band, 802.11ac.

Router is new and wont change.
802.11ac supports up to 1.3Gbps currently, your router only supports up to 300Mbps. If you are going to upgrade your client wireless card, you should get an 802.11ac card. It will work with what you have now, but is capable of faster speeds when you upgrade your router.

golden member

802.11ac supports up to 1.3Gbps currently, your router only supports up to 300Mbps. If you are going to upgrade your client wireless card, you should get an 802.11ac card. It will work with what you have now, but is capable of faster speeds when you upgrade your router.

As I just said, router wont change.
Plz dont use terms like 802.11ac, not familiar to me.

Geoff

VIP Member
As I just said, router wont change.
Plz dont use terms like 802.11ac, not familiar to me.
I'm not saying to upgrade your router now, but eventually you will replace it, and when you do your client will be more capable than if you bought an already outdated wireless card.

802.11ac is how the cards are labeled and marketed, you will see that on the name when looking for a wireless card.

Such as these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833168129
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320181

Last edited:

golden member

I'm not saying to upgrade your router now, but eventually you will replace it, and when you do your client will be more capable than if you bought an already outdated wireless card.

802.11ac is how the cards are labeled and marketed, you will see that on the name when looking for a wireless card.

Router will never change:)

Now, can you tell me what to do? Stay as I am or buy cards? How much faster speed and how much quicklier folder openings?

Darren

Staff member
Theoretically you will have faster transfer speeds. Real world use will vary. If you feel like you need it to be faster than buy a faster card.

Also, quicklier isn't a word.

golden member

Theoretically you will have faster transfer speeds. Real world use will vary. If you feel like you need it to be faster than buy a faster card.

Also, quicklier isn't a word.

Replace it with the right word, but plz answer my question, it is important to me.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Folders opening depends on a few things.

1. Speed of processor
2. Speed of hard drive
3. Amount of files in folder

Folders with gigabytes of data will take longer to open then a folder with just a few files in it.