WiFi cards and transfers

golden member

Folders opening depends on a few things.

1. Speed of processor
2. Speed of hard drive
3. Amount of files in folder

Folders with gigabytes of data will take longer to open then a folder with just a few files in it.

We are talking for folder opening wirelessly, you remember that, right?

Hard drives are ssd. But opening a folder wirelessly is not the same with opening a folder of the local disk.
Does the wlan speed affect the wireless opening?

I did answer you (If you feel like you need it to be faster than buy a faster card)

As I said, I need to know if worths the cost. How much faster will be card 150/300+card 150/300 against card150+card54[router 300mbps]?

Last edited:

ScottALot

Hard drives are ssd. But opening a folder wirelessly is not the same with opening a folder of the local disk.

The WLAN speed doesn't really affect opening and viewing the contents of folders wirelessly, it only really affects file transfer. Hard disks need to spin up or move their armatures, while SSD's don't have moving parts. There's actually a pretty good chance that opening an SSD on a remote computer will be quicker than opening a folder on a hard disk on a local computer.

As I said, I need to know if worths the cost. How much faster will be card 150/300+card 150/300 against card150+card54[router 300mbps]?

We don't know your financial situation, so we can't tell you whether it's worth it or not for you. We're feeding you a wealth of information so you can make a decision on your own based on your needs and finances. If you have some extra cash and this is important to you, buy the card. If spending money on a wireless card is a stretch for you or if your current speeds are enough for you, then don't buy a card. It sounds like you're not willing to upgrade your router for whatever reason, so I assume money's tight or you're not willing to learn how to do things.

This forum's purpose is to inform and educate so people can make their own informed decisions. This isn't Yahoo Answers where we would just tell you Yes or No. That would be unprofessional.

Geoff

VIP Member
Router will never change:)

Now, can you tell me what to do? Stay as I am or buy cards? How much faster speed and how much quicklier folder openings?
So you're saying that in 5 or 10 years you will never have to replace your existing router? There's a good chance it will die within that time, or you will want even faster speeds.

Are these folders that you're trying to open stored on your computer, or are they network folders mapped to a server? If they are just local folders like your documents, pictures, desktop, downloads, etc., your network speed makes zero difference. Only if they are network folders will you notice any difference upgrading your wireless card.

If they are wireless, the time it takes to open a network folder may be slightly faster, but I wouldn't expect much of a difference. The big difference would be transferring/opening files.

golden member

The WLAN speed doesn't really affect opening and viewing the contents of folders wirelessly, ......................

There's actually a pretty good chance that opening an SSD on a remote computer will be quicker than opening a folder on a hard disk on a local computer.

Are you 100% sure that wlan speed does not affect folder opening on a remote computer?

I have already ssd in my systems. I can tell you there is delay. A folder which contains 50 video files needs some time to appear them all. If you click to open a sub-folder, then goBack, again delay to appear all files...

So, opening an ssd on a remote computer IS NOT quicker than opening a folder on a hard disk on a local computer.
Apparently you never tried that yourself.

We don't know your financial situation, so we can't tell you whether it's worth it or not for you..............

Dont bother about my financial situation, let me worry about that.
From you I want to tell me what speed shall I have with card 150/300+card 150/300, in order to compare it with my already existed card54+card150.

This forum's purpose is to inform and educate so people can make their own informed decisions. This isn't Yahoo Answers where we would just tell you Yes or No. That would be unprofessional.

Give me a break, pal :)

So you're saying that in 5 or 10 years you will never have to replace your existing router? ..............

We are not talking for after 5-10 years my friend, after 5-10 years the internet probably will have space speeds.

Are these folders that you're trying to open stored on your computer,...............
if they are network folders will you notice any difference upgrading your wireless card.

As I said, the folders are in another pc of my local network.
So you disagree with Scott who said "WLAN speed doesn't really affect opening".

If they are wireless, the time it takes to open a network folder may be slightly faster, but I wouldn't expect much of a difference.

If now with 54mbps cards I need f.e. 15 seconds to see all contains of a folder on a remote pc, with 300mbps cards how many seconds shall I need?

Last edited by a moderator:

beers

Staff member
From you I want to tell me what speed shall I have with card 150/300+card 150/300, in order to compare it with my already existed card54+card150.

There are too many variables unique to your (or any, really) environment to give you a hard number.

If budget was no problem then just upgrade your router and NICs with 802.11ac. The fact you're rummaging around with G equipment still indicates the opposite.

So here:
Upgrading will be slightly faster. If you want slightly faster, buy the damn card. Adding one of your PCs as a wired connection will give you about double the transfer rate. This is basically a 'free' option. Unfortunately, you clearly did not give two craps to read any shred of advice given to you or even vaguely consider any alternatives, so you can sort it out yourself.

Last edited:

golden member

There are too many variables unique to your (or any, really) environment to give you a hard number.

But we have the data of my enviroment of the existed cards and speed.
Doesnt this helps?

If budget was no problem then just upgrade your router and NICs with 802.11ac. The fact you're rummaging around with G equipment still indicates the opposite.

I have stated many times but no problem to repeat it. Router wont change. It is new and 300mbps. We discuss only for the cards.
I have no idea about terms like NICs, 802.11ac, G equipment...
Can we talk more simply? Card 150 or card 300? :)

Upgrading will be slightly faster. If you want slightly faster, buy the damn card.

How much faster? How much time needs a 100MB file to be transfered via 300mbps cards(real speed)?

Adding one of your PCs as a wired connection will give you over double the transfer rate. This is basically a 'free' option. Unfortunately, you clearly did not give two craps to read any shred of advice given to you or even vaguely consider any alternatives, so you can sort it out yourself.

As I said, I do not talk about wired connection now. Plz stay ontopic.

Geoff

VIP Member
As I said, the folders are in another pc of my local network.
So you disagree with Scott who said "WLAN speed doesn't really affect opening".
54Mbps vs 300Mbps will have only the slightest of difference, most likely not even noticeable. The difference comes in opening/transferring.

ScottALot

Are you 100% sure that wlan speed does not affect folder opening on a remote computer?

I have already ssd in my systems. I can tell you there is delay. A folder which contains 50 video files needs some time to appear them all. If you click to open a sub-folder, then goBack, again delay to appear all files...

Sounds like you've got something set up wrong with your page file or RAM, but that's outside the context of this thread.

So, opening an ssd on a remote computer IS NOT quicker than opening a folder on a hard disk on a local computer.
Apparently you never tried that yourself.

I've FTP'd into my desktop over a LAN and there is no delay whatsoever in opening files on an SSD remotely and miniscule delay with HDD remotely.

Dont bother about my financial situation, let me worry about that.

Sounds like you're going to have to make your own decision. Sound familiar?

We are not talking for after 5-10 years my friend, after 5-10 years the internet probably will have space speeds.

This is not an internet discussion thread. Plz stay ontopic.

Geoff

VIP Member
Anything local will be faster than network-based, the overhead and latency will always be greater with network shares and folders.

If all of your data is accessed over the network, and you are doing this wirelessly, I would upgrade to 802.11ac to get up to 1.3Gbps. 300Mbps is pretty slow.

golden member

54Mbps vs 300Mbps will have only the slightest of difference, most likely not even noticeable. The difference comes in opening/transferring.

You mean the difference is just a couple of seconds?
So you tell me to keep 54mbps under a 300mbps router and dont buy faster cards.
This slighest difference is in openings too? You know 5 seconds less in a transfer is nothing, but 5 seconds less in a folder opening is important.

Sounds like you've got something set up wrong with your page file or RAM, but that's outside the context of this thread.

If pagefile or ram affect then it is inside the condext of this thread. I have 8gb of ram in one pc and 4gb of ram in the other pc. Pagefile is just 512MB in both, they told me that ssd dont like much pagefile...

I've FTP'd into my desktop over a LAN and there is no delay whatsoever in opening files on an SSD remotely and miniscule delay with HDD remotely.

Have you tried a folder with 50 video files in it, total size 60-90GB?
Is your lan wireless? How many mbps is router & cards?

Sounds like you're going to have to make your own decision.

Which is what?
Boy, I m trying to get a clue because I have to make my order these days. I still dont know if I need faster cards or not.

This is not an internet discussion thread. Plz stay ontopic.

That was an answer to our friend beers. When you read a post, read also the quote.

Anything local will be faster than network-based, the overhead and latency will always be greater with network shares and folders.

I didnt understand that phrase.

If all of your data is accessed over the network, and you are doing this wirelessly, I would upgrade to 802.11ac to get up to 1.3Gbps. 300Mbps is pretty slow.

If you are talking for another router, this is out of question.
My router is this.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member

That is your problem. There is no way your going to make it open any quicker because of the amount of data in that folder. I don't know why its so hard for you to understand this. If you want faster transfer speeds then get better cards. But better cards isn't gonna make that folder open any quicker. End of discussion....

ScottALot

If pagefile or ram affect then it is inside the condext of this thread. I have 8gb of ram in one pc and 4gb of ram in the other pc. Pagefile is just 512MB in both, they told me that ssd dont like much pagefile...

This thread is titled WiFi cards and transfers, plz stay ontopic.

beers

Staff member
It sounds like you have preview listed for viewing files, just switch it to detailed view and then you won't have to load video preview data for each file.

I have 8gb of ram in one pc and 4gb of ram in the other pc.

That is off-topic, please stay on topic.

golden member

That is your problem. There is no way your going to make it open any quicker because of the amount of data in that folder. I don't know why its so hard for you to understand this. If you want faster transfer speeds then get better cards. But better cards isn't gonna make that folder open any quicker. End of discussion....

So you say thay wireless speed does not affect the opening of a large folder.
Lets see if other friends will agree with you. WRXGuy1 seems to disagree.

This thread is titled WiFi cards and transfers, plz stay ontopic.
That is off-topic, please stay on topic.

Bad humor wont help thread.
If pagefile affects the point of the thread, then its ontopic.

It sounds like you have preview listed for viewing files, just switch it to detailed view and then you won't have to load video preview data for each file.

I need to view as big images with preview, detailed view doesnt help me.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
You mean the difference is just a couple of seconds?
So you tell me to keep 54mbps under a 300mbps router and dont buy faster cards.
This slighest difference is in openings too? You know 5 seconds less in a transfer is nothing, but 5 seconds less in a folder opening is important.
I'm thinking the difference would be less than a second, at least in terms of loading a list of contents within folders. Opening folders would vary between seeing a very slight, less than 1 second difference for files like text files, where the file sizes are just a few KB's, however if you're trying to open videos and photos that are much larger, you will see a much greater difference after upgrading.

The size of the pagefile depends on how much RAM you have, and how much you typically have free when performing day-to-day tasks. 4GB of RAM is not much on Windows 7/8.

Is your lan wireless? How many mbps is router & cards?
When you open a folder with media, it has to show a preview, so those will take longer.

Which is what?
Boy, I m trying to get a clue because I have to make my order these days. I still dont know if I need faster cards or not.
The whole point I am trying to make, is that in my opinion, it's not worth upgrading from 802.11g to 2.4GHz 802.11n. If you are going to upgrade, you should go with 802.11ac.

I didnt understand that phrase.
How is that difficult to understand? Accessing files over the network takes longer than locally.

So you say thay wireless speed does not affect the opening of a large folder.
Lets see if other friends will agree with you. WRXGuy1 seems to disagree.
We are both saying roughly the same thing. Accessing a folder filled with videos will take a while to load over the network, regardless of your connection speed, due to the overhead and latency I mentioned earlier with network folders. What I'm saying is that if opening large videos over the network is important to you, you should look at upgrading your router and client to 802.11ac.

Last edited:

golden member

I'm thinking the difference would be less than a second, at least in terms of loading a list of contents within folders. Opening folders would vary between seeing a very slight, less than 1 second difference for files like text files, where the file sizes are just a few KB's, however if you're trying to open videos and photos that are much larger, you will see a much greater difference after upgrading.

Less than a second?! You mean no difference at all then.

And something else important I just remembered,
what about the HD videos?
So far, I have delays with the HD videos(1920x1080), the picture sticks from time to time or doesnt rw/ff normally.
Will a faster card(300mbps instead of 54) eliminate this problem?

The size of the pagefile depends on how much RAM you have, and how much you typically have free when performing day-to-day tasks. 4GB of RAM is not much on Windows 7/8.

Yes, but a zero pagefile is one of the advices for faster SSDs.
The size of pagefile affects the wireless speed, as someone said before?

The 4GB of ram is in a pc which works as htpc.

How is that difficult to understand? Accessing files over the network takes longer than locally.

I didnt understand that previous phrase because of my bad english. I understood it now.
Accesing files over the network takes longer yes, point is if a faster card helps.

We are both saying roughly the same thing. Accessing a folder filled with videos will take a while to load over the network, regardless of your connection speed, due to the overhead and latency I mentioned earlier with network folders.

You dont say the same thing, he said "There is no way your going to make it open any quicker because of the amount of data in that folder........But better cards isn't gonna make that folder open any quicker. End of discussion".
You had said something different.

Geoff

VIP Member
Less than a second?! You mean no difference at all then.

And something else important I just remembered,
what about the HD videos?
So far, I have delays with the HD videos(1920x1080), the picture sticks from time to time or doesnt rw/ff normally.
Will a faster card(300mbps instead of 54) eliminate this problem?

Yes, but a zero pagefile is one of the advices for faster SSDs.
The size of pagefile affects the wireless speed, as someone said before?

The 4GB of ram is in a pc which works as htpc.

I didnt understand that previous phrase because of my bad english. I understood it now.
Accesing files over the network takes longer yes, point is if a faster card helps.
Since upgrading your router doesn't seem to be something you are willing to consider, then yes, I would say you should upgrade your wireless card to the 300Mbps card, assuming your router does indeed support it. Just understand where I'm coming from, 300Mbps 2.4GHz 802.11n is an old standard, it will still give you significant loading time and lag compared to 1.3Gbps 802.11ac.

HD video steaming over 54Mbps is bound to cause lag and stuttering, if you upgrade it will help or eliminate that.

Getting rid of the page file is good advice if you have enough RAM, check task manager, if you still have a fair amount of free memory you should be fine. I've never heard that getting rid of the pagefile increases network performance.

You dont say the same thing, he said "There is no way your going to make it open any quicker because of the amount of data in that folder........But better cards isn't gonna make that folder open any quicker. End of discussion".
You had said something different.
Then in that case I would disagree with him. I am not saying that upgrading will make the lag of loading that folder go away by any means, but increasing your wireless speed upwards of 6x is going to improve the loading of those video previews, and decrease the time it takes to open. It will still take much longer than if they were local on your PC however, or even if you had them hard wired in at 1Gbps.

golden member

Getting rid of the page file is good advice if you have enough RAM, check task manager, if you still have a fair amount of free memory you should be fine.

8GB DDR3 1600MHz isnt enough ram?
I keed 512MB. I always watch the amount of my ram via a win7 gadget(desktop accesories).

Since upgrading your router doesn't seem to be something you are willing to consider, then yes, I would say you should upgrade your wireless card to the 300Mbps card, assuming your router does indeed support it

HD video steaming over 54Mbps is bound to cause lag and stuttering, if you upgrade it will help or eliminate that.

Ok, you were absolutely clear.
What do you suggest me to get? pci or pci express? Is TP-LINK a good firm?
And whats that with 2 or 3 antennas?

I heard good reviews for these cards, what do you think?
link
link

Geoff

VIP Member
8GB DDR3 1600MHz isnt enough ram?
I keed 512MB. I always watch the amount of my ram via a win7 gadget(desktop accesories).

Ok, you were absolutely clear.
What do you suggest me to get? pci or pci express? Is TP-LINK a good firm?
And whats that with 2 or 3 antennas?

I heard good reviews for these cards, what do you think?
link
link
8GB is fine, I was talking about your 4GB system.

Anything PCI-E based or USB 2.0 or better would be fine, if you upgrade past this such as dual-band 802.11n or 802.11ac, you want PCI-E or USB 3.0.

I would get this one: http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?model=TL-WN881ND

Just be sure you have a PCI-E slot in your computer available.

The different number of antennas are used for MIMO to increase speed, 1x1, 2x2, 3x3, etc. are used to increase speed and range of WiFi.