WiFi cards and transfers

beers

Staff member
Upgrading your card to 300/300 is going to give you the same problems simply based on CSMA/CA. Trying to view the folder with previews is both ridiculous as well as too bandwidth intensive for the setup you want to use. Higher bitrate 720p and 1080p videos will still lag and stutter.

You can keep asking or being rude to people until someone says "YES, IT WILL BE AMAZING! :)", even though that is the answer you are painstakingly looking for, it is not reality.

Everything on each of your PCs is irrelevant based on a larger degree of wireless problems. Looking a RAM is a waste of time, looking at page file is a waste of time, looking at HDD/SSD is a waste of time. If the video plays OK locally then it's clearly a network related issue. Given that you are using a 'turd-grade' setup, it's to be expected.

golden member

8GB is fine, I was talking about your 4GB system.

But this system is only for downloading and play movies.

Anything PCI-E based or USB 2.0 or better would be fine, if you upgrade past this such as dual-band 802.11n or 802.11ac, you want PCI-E or USB 3.0.

I would get this one: http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?model=TL-WN881ND

Just be sure you have a PCI-E slot in your computer available.

The different number of antennas are used for MIMO to increase speed, 1x1, 2x2, 3x3, etc. are used to increase speed and range of WiFi.

When you say usb2/3.0 you re talking for usb cards? I prefer to avoid usb cards, I have bad experiences with them.
But you prefer pci express instead of pci. May I ask what more has pci express?

So you agree TL-WN881ND is good, get two of them? They are cheap also, just 14€.

I dont know what is mimo. More antennas mean more speed and range?

Upgrading your card to 300/300 is going to give you the same problems simply based on CSMA/CA. Trying to view the folder with previews is both ridiculous as well as too bandwidth intensive for the setup you want to use. Higher bitrate 720p and 1080p videos will still lag and stutter.

Lets see if there is anyone else who will agree with that.

You can keep asking or being rude to people until someone says "YES, IT WILL BE AMAZING! :)", even though that is the answer you are painstakingly looking for, it is not reality.

I was never rude.
Your reality is not necessarily the common reality.

Everything on each of your PCs is irrelevant based on a larger degree of wireless problems. Looking a RAM is a waste of time, looking at page file is a waste of time, looking at HDD/SSD is a waste of time. If the video plays OK locally then it's clearly a network related issue. Given that you are using a 'turd-grade' setup, it's to be expected.

What are you talking about, we look everything which has to do with our point.
But if you tell me "get a wired for better speeds" thats indeed a waste of time. I was wired for years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geoff

VIP Member
When you say usb2/3.0 you re talking for usb cards? I prefer to avoid usb cards, I have bad experiences with them.
But you prefer pci express instead of pci. May I ask what more has pci express?

So you agree TL-WN881ND is good, get two of them? They are cheap also, just 14€.

I dont know what is mimo. More antennas mean more speed and range?
Yes I was referring to USB adapters. PCI-E is the best way to go, it offers more bandwidth throughput than PCI.

Why do you need two of them?

Lets see if there is anyone else who will agree with that.

What are you talking about, we look everything which has to do with our point.
But if you tell me "get a wired for better speeds" thats indeed a waste of time. I was wired for years.
I agree with him. You seem to be thinking there are only two possible scenarios, either it works perfectly with no lag or delay, or it has tons of issues. Upgrading from 54Mbps wireless to 300Mbps wireless will improve load times when opening videos and so forth, but it is still horrible compared to wired or viewing local content.

If you were wired before, why did you downgrade and go with 802.11g wireless?

golden member

Yes I was referring to USB adapters. PCI-E is the best way to go, it offers more bandwidth throughput than PCI.

Why do you need two of them?

:)funny question.
Because its not possible to transfer files between 2 pc if one of them has no card.

In the same way, pci express soundcard is better than a simple pci soundcard?

I agree with him. You seem to be thinking there are only two possible scenarios, either it works perfectly with no lag or delay, or it has tons of issues. Upgrading from 54Mbps wireless to 300Mbps wireless will improve load times when opening videos and so forth, but it is still horrible compared to wired or viewing local content.

:confused:how you agree with him?

He said Higher bitrate 720p and 1080p videos will still lag and stutter
You said HD video steaming over 54Mbps is bound to cause lag and stuttering, if you upgrade it will help or eliminate that

He said that upgrade from 54 to 300mbps means no faster speed, you said there will be faster speed.

We do NOT compare with wired situation, how many times do I have to remind that?

If you were wired before, why did you downgrade and go with 802.11g wireless?

Because I wanted get rid of wires and remove router from my room, as million of other users.

Last edited:

ScottALot

Because its not possible to transfer files between 2 pc if one of them has no card.

Yes it is.

We don't know your network situation. Therefore, we have to speculate. A common setup is to have a desktop hooked up to the router on a wired connection and a laptop on a wireless. You're asking about getting a WiFi card for PCI / PCIe, so we can replace that wireless laptop with a desktop. However, we don't know what's on the other end. You could have a desktop with an onboard wireless connection (not a card), you could have a laptop with a built in wireless adapter (not a card), you could have either one of those be wired (not a card), or a million other things...heck you could be talking about a NAS, but we have no idea.

If you want clear answers, provide clear questions.

Generally, yes. However, this is a thread on WiFi cards and transfers. Plz stay ontopic.

Geoff

VIP Member
Yes, it is. Your other PC could be hard wired, you could have a server, you could have a USB drive connected to your router, you could have a NAS, hundreds of possible configurations. You only told us about your one desktop.

No, not at all. The interface doesn't make a difference for sound cards, for networking you want higher bandwidth with newer protocols and for longer life, as PCI is a dead interface.

:confused:how you agree with him?

He said Higher bitrate 720p and 1080p videos will still lag and stutter
You said HD video steaming over 54Mbps is bound to cause lag and stuttering, if you upgrade it will help or eliminate that

He said that upgrade from 54 to 300mbps means no faster speed, you said there will be faster speed.
Notice how I said it would help, or eliminate. Streaming HD content would be fine over 300Mbps, however you may still get a bit of lag here and there on occasion. It's obvious that 300 is faster than 54. It's still not as good as hard wired or newer wireless protocols.

We do NOT compare with wired situation, how many times do I have to remind that?
Once more. Wired is better. Dual-band 802.11n is better. 802.11ac is better.

Because I wanted get rid of wires and remove router from my room, as million of other users.
Fair enough, or you could upgrade your router to 802.11ac for a more wired-like experience.

golden member

Yes, it is. Your other PC could be hard wired, you could have a server, you could have a USB drive connected to your router, you could have a NAS, hundreds of possible configurations. You only told us about your one desktop.

I said several times that I m not talking for wired situation.

I told you about 2 desktops, and that I m looking for two cards.

No, not at all. The interface doesn't make a difference for sound cards, for networking you want higher bandwidth with newer protocols and for longer life, as PCI is a dead interface.

Ok, so for wireless cards we only choose pci expess and not simple pci.
That was a useful info.

Notice how I said it would help, or eliminate. Streaming HD content would be fine over 300Mbps, however you may still get a bit of lag here and there on occasion. It's obvious that 300 is faster than 54.

Thats not what he said. He said there will be no difference at all

It's still not as good as hard wired or newer wireless protocols.

I said several times I m not talking for wired situation.

Once more. Wired is better. Dual-band 802.11n is better. 802.11ac is better.

You dont have to replay that all the time, even my grandma knows wired is faster.
:DBut I said several times I m not talking for wired situation.

or you could upgrade your router to 802.11ac for a more wired-like experience.

I said several times that router wont change.

Yes it is.

We don't know your network situation. Therefore, we have to speculate. A common setup is to have a desktop hooked up to the router on a wired connection and a laptop on a wireless. You're asking about getting a WiFi card for PCI / PCIe, so we can replace that wireless laptop with a desktop. However, we don't know what's on the other end. You could have a desktop with an onboard wireless connection (not a card), you could have a laptop with a built in wireless adapter (not a card), you could have either one of those be wired (not a card), or a million other things...heck you could be talking about a NAS, but we have no idea.

If you want clear answers, provide clear questions.

I said several times my network situation.
Plz read thread and dont be feisty.

Generally, yes. However, this is a thread on WiFi cards and transfers. Plz stay ontopic.

Yes that was offtopic, but you disagree with WRXGuy1.

ScottALot

Right now, I had a pci card of 54mbps in the first pc, and I just bought temporarily this usb card of 150mbps in the second pc.
So my current speed is 54mbps.

I said several times my network situation.
Plz read thread and dont be feisty.

You are aware that a "PC" can mean just about any computer, right? More specifically, it often references a Windows machine, but you could be talking about anything. So no, you haven't explicitly and specifically told us about your network situation. You've only given us broad statements. I'm not going to go through this entire thread and piece together your posts.

A thread should go like this, I've rated the quality of this thread as well.

Title which provides the general topic - Good
Original post that lays out the situation in detail that is clear and concise - Poor
Follow-up posts further detailing your situation, answering questions clearly and concisely - Awful
General respect for those who are trying to help you - Deplorable

You seem to think we have to follow your rules and guidelines. You're the guest here. Before you start accusing others of going off topic and criticizing the way people are trying to help you, you're going to have to be a veteran of this forum. You're going to have to know the ins and outs of the sub-communities and the mannerisms of the people here.
So until that happens, you're going to have to default to being unconditionally respectful.

Yes that was offtopic, but you disagree with WRXGuy1.

I generalized PCIe and PCI cards. Sure, there might be some rare exceptions, but PCIe cards are based on a newer technology and therefore, generally, are better than their PCI counterparts. No disagreement there.

golden member

That's it, I'm done. It's like trying to get ideas through to a brick. Good luck dude.

Before you leave dont forget to note how much better is the wired thing.

All of us, million of users who are wireless, we are just bricks.

You are aware that a "PC" can mean just about any computer, right? More specifically, it often references a Windows machine, but you could be talking about anything. So no, you haven't explicitly and specifically told us about your network situation.......................

Its so simple and you dont have to be under any confusion.
Data: a router. 2 PC
Task: wireless files transfer between them
Desideratum: two wifi cards

I generalized PCIe and PCI cards. Sure, there might be some rare exceptions, but PCIe cards are based on a newer technology and therefore, generally, are better than their PCI counterparts. No disagreement there.

May I put the wireless card in a PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot?
Will be the same as pci express slot?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Before you leave dont forget to note how much better is the wired thing.

All of us, million of users who are wireless, we are just bricks.

Wired will always get better transfer rates than wireless. Period.

May I put the wireless card in a PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot?
Will be the same as pci express slot?

Yes. Any PCI Express card can go in any size PCI Express slot as long as it is the maximum size of the slot or smaller. I run my PCIe X1 sound card in an x16 slot.

golden member

Wired will always get better transfer rates than wireless. Period.

Everybody knows that, no need to repeat it all the time like parrots.

Yes. Any PCI Express card can go in any size PCI Express slot as long as it is the maximum size of the slot or smaller. I run my PCIe X1 sound card in an x16 slot.

Me too.

Well, I ordered those cards and I ll soon tell you if transfers are faster and if videos play smoother.

Last edited:

golden member

I installed those cards, first impression is that I m satisfied from transfer speed(that file of 150MB now needs 45'') but in opening large folders or watching HD still lags, need some time to get a conclution about how much is the improvement.

Well clearly you don't seem to understand that.

Lol, because I want wireless? Topic is about wireless only, so stay ontopic and dont spam.

Geoff

VIP Member
We all told you this, yet you didn't want to understand. 300Mbps wireless-N is not ideal for wanting to stream lots of HD content. You'd want to be wired ideally, or for wireless 802.11ac, or at least 5GHz 802.11n.

Are you trying to stream from one computer to another, with both wireless? If so, that's another big factor, because you are basically splitting the bandwidth between two devices, you don't have 300Mbps between both devices. It's 300Mbps shared between all devices on the access point.

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
Dont forget to be shocked about the tranfer speed as well.
I m satisfied from transfer speed(that file of 150MB now needs 45'')

~3.33 MB/sec (26.64 mbps) is still shockingly bad.

As directly above, simply putting one side as wired and having one side as wireless would increase your transfer rate and allow you to stream HD.

Adding one of your PCs as a wired connection will give you about double the transfer rate.

Here's a transfer from my N network, for reference. Looks about double to me.

cKJir8N.png

Changing your environment slightly would clear up all of your issues (except for giant folder previews, which is bluntly idiotic).

Feel free to develop strong opinions based on your vast, expert level of technical knowledge though.

Edit:
Dropped channel width to 20 MHz for direct comparison.

Last edited: