WIndows 10 WiFi keep dropping. Help please.

Discussion in 'Laptops, Tablets and Smartphones' started by ssal, Apr 18, 2019.

1. ssal

ssal Member

I downloaded the firmware. I work on a computer that is wired with cable. I entered http://192.168.0.1 in the browser but got time out.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  2. TheRealSwede

TheRealSwede Member

First you should check if your router actually uses this IP-adress for management..
    I have run into routers that uses 192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1, 192.168.10.1 etc. (I have not seen anyone mention WHAT router you have..)

So if your computer has access to the internet.. click the magnifying glass next to your start-button, type CMD press enter..
    In that new window, type: ipconfig /all press enter

Search for "default gateway" and type that adress into your browser.. (Unless the default gateway actually is 192.168.0.1)
    (Note! your settings for DHCP Server and DNS servers should have the same IP-adress as your default gateway adress for your router to work properly.. so if they all are the same, it´s OK)

NOTE! I´m not saying that http://192.168.0.1 is wrong adress, I just like to check if it is or not! OK!

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Darren likes this.
  3. ssal

ssal Member

You're right on. The gateway is actually 192.168.1.1
    But when I got in there, it took me to my ISP (optimum)'s configuration screen where I can change the network name and password. There is no place to update the firmware.

4. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

If its your isp's modem, you won't be able to update it.

OmniDyne and Cromewell like this.
  5. Cromewell

Cromewell Administrator Staff Member

If it's a rented modem (or otherwise still belongs to your ISP) it's very likely that they update the firmware remotely from time to time.

It was mentioned before, but I didn't see an answer to it. Does anyone else on your WiFi get drops like this? If so it's highly likely to be the router. If it is an ISP owned modem a call to them might get you a replacement that fixes it.

To be sure, you have confirmed this is isolated to wireless? It's not the modem disconnecting from your ISP?

6. OmniDyne

OmniDyne Active Member

As was stated, if it's the ISP's modem and/ or router you will be unable to update the firmware.

7. TheRealSwede

TheRealSwede Member

In that case there is nothing we can help you with... Since the router/modem is controlled by your ISP!

8. ssal

ssal Member

Just an update.

I have the router swapped out (exchanged from ISP) and seems to correct the issue.

9. TheRealSwede

TheRealSwede Member

Great to hear! :)