Windows 10

Darren

Staff member
They ran so hot I wouldn't doubt that they would start one.
Huehuehue.

To be fair though, heat wasn't a massive concern for me. My 390 was a furnace but it still stayed in plenty reasonable temps and performed well. Vega's pricing/performance was just totally backwards, the heat and power consumption just made it worse.

UnholyVision

That would be quite the feat, considering it's very well documented to not run past the launcher.
Update: I have broken this game multiple times now. However, I have got the launcher to make me an account and passed it into the game. I'm having a few stutter issues that I'm trying to fix, because the game will go from 40FPS to 100FPS in the blink of an eye. I also have a weird game glitch with settings & minor bugs, but other than that it's working. I'm not going to call this playable yet, but in time I think this game will work 100% with the correct tweaks. If Proton is updated it may even resolve this without any work around. *Shrugs*

A brief example of what I've done so far is install some fonts, d3d9, and vcrun2012 with Winetricks. Disabled nvapi & nvapi64. Which isn't very hard for a new user given they can open a terminal. Though I do wish to get this 100% because I don't like half @!$ uhm things. :)

The fact that it's a Microsoft published game is more what I'm getting at rather than it being a UWP product. The entire game is baked into you having an Xbox profile (even on PC) and the overall functionality needs it.

Also don't get me wrong, I dislike the Windows Store, much prefer Steam for numerous reasons. However when the game is exclusive to the platform, you gotta play ball if you want to play their games (legally at least).

I imagine getting it to the point of being playable on Linux would violate some license agreements.

I too am hoping for AMD to get it together, I would have bought Vega if it wasn't such a dumpster fire.
That is when I say, "work arounds", lol. Similar to how there was a work around for GFW-L in Wine.

Nah, don't play ball. If you vote with your wallet per se things could happen. I mean look at the games that were exclusive to the MS Store like that Quantum game or whatever it was called. (That one with the weird time jumps. Speaking of that game, I probably should try to get that working too xD). People went nuts and didn't purchase & boom Steam version.

Honestly, that is probably an area where it would be fine. The license would have to completely contradict itself otherwise. I mean to have parts of your software under one license for opensource then another. Specially to support Linux under the GNU General Public License. I mean you can use BSD License, but tha limits you in many ways with libraries and other various things.

I have a Vega 64, it's not horrible, but if we're talking gaming via Windows its basically an overpriced 1080. Yet put it in Linux and get it setup right it can run circles around a 1080Ti in some games. (Edit: Not trying to make it sound great. Because as I explained before, to get it properly going you have to use the stupid combo of drivers. Then even with that it's not great). As for heat, the third party cooler isn't bad and it runs at around the temp of a GTX 1060. Yet it is much bigger than a 1060.

Darren

Staff member
GFWL was a travesty. That's for sure. Thankfully they patched it out of some of their games (GTA IV comes to mind).

Since the MS Store is tied to your MS account and it's their own games that I'm buying, I'm not worried about them disappearing anymore than I am that my Steam games or Microsoft Windows license will.

Also I am voting with my wallet. Up until 2 years ago you couldn't even get Forza games on PC so I don't have an issue paying full price for it as console exclusives rarely come to PC.

Vega was quite good at certain things but overall it was nothing but a let down considering it cost a lot more than a 1080, performed slightly worse in most titles and better in a few, crazy power consumption comparitively, and availability was terrible around launch. I do miss my AMD drivers though.

Jiniix

GFWL was a travesty. That's for sure. Thankfully they patched it out of some of their games (GTA IV comes to mind).
I do have very "fond" memories of being in a GFWL loop with GTA IV.
You can't save, you need to login. You can't login, you need to restart. You can't restart, saving doesn't work until you log in. Repeat. Something like that, oh boy I miss it :D

UnholyVision

Since the MS Store is tied to your MS account and it's their own games that I'm buying, I'm not worried about them disappearing anymore than I am that my Steam games or Microsoft Windows license will.
I wish ShadowRun (The FPS version), Section 8, Juiced 2, Fuel, Lost Planet 2, Quantum of Solace, Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, Dirt 2, Dirt 3, The Club, Universe at War: Earth Assault[ got patched for Steam. We lost so many good to decent titles to GFWL that possible could have taken off with Steam or GOG.

Thats what GFWL was... A Live account with games and DLC tied to it. Now gone forever for legal users.

Also I am voting with my wallet. Up until 2 years ago you couldn't even get Forza games on PC so I don't have an issue paying full price for it as console exclusives rarely come to PC.
Console exclusives come to the Windows PC all the time.. I could make you a huge list. Specially now with the consoles all being the x86 platforms. Then the more popular console is the PS4, which runs Orbis OS, a modified version of FreeBSD. Microsoft Studio Games included come to Steam all the time. The only games not on Steam is games like Gears of War. Which I would understand for exclusives if the platform was viable, but that Windows Store isn't fun to navigate with all that bloatware, et cetera. Then just for a business standpoint exclusives on PC's just aren't that viable anymore for income. Even more so when an indie developer. There are literally examples where some games sold like crap on select stores, but better on others (Steam lost some of them on that note). Then some games sold like crap to say Windows users, but developers got most their cash from Linux gamers. (For the record, there are some games that are only on Steam and I'm not for that either. Basically what I'm getting at is I don't like monopolies, duopolies, et cetera. It's not very capitalist it's an oligopoly which in turn hurts the individual. Similar to the AMD and Nvidia issue or AMD and Intel one).

Vega was quite good at certain things but overall it was nothing but a let down considering it cost a lot more than a 1080, performed slightly worse in most titles and better in a few, crazy power consumption comparitively, and availability was terrible around launch. I do miss my AMD drivers though.
Yes on Windows. Linux it can beat a 1080Ti in a handful of games or sits around a 1080 and no lower using the open-source portion of drivers. That being said I don't encourage buying for Linux gaming as it's a cluster $#% with the current state of drivers. Even rolling OS's like Arch state it's not even officially supported and to go to the AUR for support, lol.

It was the same thing as say AMD FX processors. It worked better in Linux due to their architecture, being it was technically a server part. Vega being similar with the architecture being closer to a workstation gpu. If Linux is known for anything by normies :p it's known for server support & visual studio editing. (Pixar being one of the big Linux users. https://www.gamingonlinux.com/artic...nux-and-opengl-open-sourced-a-major-tool.7993). Which kind of gives reverse engineering an advantage over Windows with no one doing it. Leaps by previous examples per se. However, on Windows it's use the proprietary driver or have no hardware accelerated graphics. Then if we're honest AMD tends to make some very poor drivers even on Windows. (I know they revamped the drivers and they have gotten better, but still not spectacular). Which nine times out of ten are beat by community open-source drivers on any card, on the Linux side, lol.

Anyway, I don't like bashing AMD, but there is so much to bash and so many poor decisions that I wish the market wasn't a duopoly. All we can do is just sit back and hope they get better. =/

The problematic games are GTA: V,
I got it to work pretty well. My recording while playing didn't hold up real well so there is some sync issues. However, it works great.

------
Just a PSA for anyone whom is using Windows 10. Backup your data frequently until they fix the issue. Don't be a victim to the Cortana Maid.
https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-october-2018-update-seems-be-deleting-users-data

Last edited:

UnholyVision

Only a PSA. I just learned about this and it seems to be growing in effecting users.

https://www.windowslatest.com/2018/...-activation-system-is-broken-a-fix-is-coming/

If you're on Windows 10 Pro you may want to just not login your computer for a while. Whatever you do, don't buy a new license key, because all of this garbage. Apparently from a few other sources about this topic, Microsoft was telling people to buy new activation keys. Only to have people spend the money and it didn't work. (face-to-palm)

There is a possible fix for some errors. Though it has to be this specific one.
https://www.windowslatest.com/2018/11/09/reactivate-windows-10-and-fix-error-0xc004c003/

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Only a PSA. I just learned about this and it seems to be growing in effecting users.

https://www.windowslatest.com/2018/...-activation-system-is-broken-a-fix-is-coming/

If you're on Windows 10 Pro you may want to just not login your computer for a while. Whatever you do, don't buy a new license key, because all of this garbage. Apparently from a few other sources about this topic, Microsoft was telling people to buy new activation keys. Only to have people spend the money and it didn't work. (face-to-palm)

There is a possible fix for some errors. Though it has to be this specific one.
https://www.windowslatest.com/2018/11/09/reactivate-windows-10-and-fix-error-0xc004c003/
I had this issue at work but only for the duration of yesterday. If you run troubleshooting on the activation it seems to work now. At least for the couple I tried today.

UnholyVision

I had this issue at work but only for the duration of yesterday. If you run troubleshooting on the activation it seems to work now. At least for the couple I tried today.
It seems that this has caused a few different errors. When the servers came back up some people started working fine again, but from what I'm gathering there are about three error codes. One fixed by Microsoft server, one fixed by third party, and one still floating out there. Oh and I saw a few reports that Microsoft software deactivated too. Uggh, what a headache.

It's good to see that some people are back, but sad to see some are still suffering from this. That and good to hear that fixed it for you, I've read a few people stating it was fixed that way too without the registry fix. Either way it stinks it happened, because people like yourself would have been flooded with, "My PC is broke" well, maybe that would be a good thing in some ways, lol.

Darren

Staff member
It seems that this has caused a few different errors. When the servers came back up some people started working fine again, but from what I'm gathering there are about three error codes. One fixed by Microsoft server, one fixed by third party, and one still floating out there. Oh and I saw a few reports that Microsoft software deactivated too. Uggh, what a headache.

It's good to see that some people are back, but sad to see some are still suffering from this. That and good to hear that fixed it for you, I've read a few people stating it was fixed that way too without the registry fix. Either way it stinks it happened, because people like yourself would have been flooded with, "My PC is broke" well, maybe that would be a good thing in some ways, lol.
Yeah I still was having some weirdness on stuff so it's not perfect. Hoping its fixed because I was relying on that activation for a bunch of machines we're giving away at Christmas for work and now none of them are activated despite them having had 7 Pro before (and thus 10 Pro should activate but it's not).

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Its funny how they said the free upgrade to 10 was stopped after so long but yet you can still do it as I did it for a laptop just the other day. And now they are advertising again about the upgrade, or should I say forcing the upgrade.

Darren

Staff member
I wouldn't call it forcing when 7 is 10 years old and is about to end support. Better that then just not at all.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I wasn't saying its a bad thing as I think upgrading to 10 is a good thing. Its just that 10 isn't compatible with some of the older video chipsets. I've only came across this one when upgrading from 7 to 10.